ADVERTISEMENT

Name a band..

A kid in high school (1988) tried to convince me to listen to REM...I was a total rock guy so I though to alternative for me...few years later Out of Time came out and I bought the CD. I was so wrong about them. Great band.

I was the same way. I heard Out of Time & Automatic for the People when they came out and had zero interest in those albums (still don’t really….too over produced for my ears I suppose). Heard Monster and loved it. Caused me to go back and really get into their earlier stuff (Green and earlier).

I was the same way. I heard Out of Time & Automatic for the People when they came out and had zero interest in those albums (still don’t really….too over produced for my ears I suppose). Heard Monster and loved it. Caused me to go back and really get into their earlier stuff (Green and earlier).

I remember sitting in the William Pitt Union one day in the mid-80's talking about the upcoming Bruce concert and how much I wanted to go. Someone else sitting with us said don't worry about Bruce, REM is the band to see. I never heard of them at that point so I bought their new release (on cassette, lol), Fables of the Reconstruction. I was hooked at that point.

Pearl Jam still puts on amazing shows with different eclectic song lists and their last few albums have been very good-I think backspacer is criminally underrated.

I remember sitting in the William Pitt Union one day in the mid-80's talking about the upcoming Bruce concert and how much I wanted to go. Someone else sitting with us said don't worry about Bruce, REM is the band to see. I never heard of them at that point so I bought their new release (on cassette, lol), Fables of the Reconstruction. I was hooked at that point.
Life's Rich Pageant hooked me. Then Document. Those were my go-to albums in college. Wore out the casettes.

This may sound like where have you been, but Bruce Springsteen. I was never into him for a long time, but he has grown on me in recent years.

The Jaggerz. They had that one hit...The Rapper, then not much else. Donny Iris started it, then went to Wild Cherry. I never really appreciated them back in the late 60's and early 70's. Then I heard them live in Sewickley a few years ago and again this past Fall, and they are fantastic on stage. I think only 2 of the original Jaggerz are still with the band because guys either went elsewhere, retired or died. My wife got me their original album, a real vintage LP on heavy vinyl that was made in 1969. They're very versatile, playing R&B, blues, jazz, country, pop, rock.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I saw the Clarks in Oakland somewhere at a bar back when . Great bar band .
I always dug Styx even during their cringey love song period . There first couple albums rocked pretty good . Miss America especially comes to mind … Tommy Shaw addition set them over the top .
I remember laying/half sleeping on the Cathedral lawn in ‘02 or ‘03 and being awoken to The Clarks playing an impromptu and unannounced concert. Was pretty cool.

Anyone into Stevie Ray Vaughn?

He died when I was in Middle School. So, I really wasn't aware of his music.

I kind of passed him off because it seemed like in the 90s and 00's DVE was playing "Pride and Joy" once an hour. Maybe they still are lol.

However, I'd say over the past 3-4 months I've been listening to more of his live stuff and I'm really blown away.

He might be the most intense and soulful guitar player I've listened to. His technical prowess is unbelievable but he's got soul unlike many virtuosos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT