ADVERTISEMENT

Name a band..

Train. They were an afterthought for me until I heard ‘em in person….a pleasant surprise.

That maybe you didn't like or were just lukewarm during the height of their career but you've grown to really appreciate now?

Me?

Nirvana - maybe sounds cliche to name one of the biggest bands of all time. I "liked" their music but never took it seriously back in their heyday. Over the past year or so, I've really deep dived on their b-sides and grown to really like them.
The Pretenders and Talking Heads.

Right now I’ll say Sheryl Crow. I had Tuesday Night Music Club as an adolescent but never really like anything outside “All I Wanna Do”. She was basically in her prime in my teenage and collegiate years and I had no time for it. Now I’m 40 and looking back on it all, she is just consistently good.

I thought of one on the way down to the basketball game today. The Clash. Not because I didn't really like the Clash per se, but because Combat Rock came out shortly before my freshman year at Pitt, and sometime during that first semester the guy who lived next door to us in the towers discovered it. And he loved it.

You may think I am exagerating on this, but I assure you I am not. He would listen to the first side of the record, and then flip it over and listen to side two. And then flip it over and listen to side one again. And then flip it over and listen to side two again. And then flip it over and listen to side one again. And then flip it over and listen to side two again. Ad nauseam. It was, for the period of probably about two month, literally the only album that he listened to.

I am not kidding when I say that there were times on the weekend that on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon he would play that album four or five times in a row, front to back. It was enough to make me wish that all Clash albums and singles all over the world would spontaneously self-combust.

Fortunately enough decades have passed that I can now listen to even some of those Combat Rock songs and recognize that they are, in fact, good songs. But for the longest time as soon as one came on the radio I would immediately switch the channel.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I thought of one on the way down to the basketball game today. The Clash. Not because I didn't really like the Clash per se, but because Combat Rock came out shortly before my freshman year at Pitt, and sometime during that first semester the guy who lived next door to us in the towers discovered it. And he loved it.

You may think I am exagerating on this, but I assure you I am not. He would listen to the first side of the record, and then flip it over and listen to side two. And then flip it over and listen to side one again. And then flip it over and listen to side two again. And then flip it over and listen to side one again. And then flip it over and listen to side two again. Ad nauseam. It was, for the period of probably about two month, literally the only album that he listened to.

I am not kidding when I say that there were times on the weekend that on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon he would play that album four or five times in a row, front to back. It was enough to make me wish that all Clash albums and singles all over the world would spontaneously self-combust.

Fortunately enough decades have passed that I can now listen to even some of those Combat Rock songs and recognize that they are, in fact, good songs. But for the longest time as soon as one came on the radio I would immediately switch the channel.
I know a guy who did the repeating album flip with one by the Jackson 5.

I once asked him “Why?”

He replied, “It’s easy as 1-2-3!

Right now I’ll say Sheryl Crow. I had Tuesday Night Music Club as an adolescent but never really like anything outside “All I Wanna Do”. She was basically in her prime in my teenage and collegiate years and I had no time for it. Now I’m 40 and looking back on it all, she is just consistently good.
Check your manhood please at the door.

Lynyrd Skynyrd. When I was in HS, hated them and all of those redneck dudes who loved them. Now I realize how incredibly talented they were.
One thing to keep in mind about Lynyrd Skynyrd: at the time of the plane crash that killed Ronnie Van Zant and Steven Gaines, none of the band members had reached 30 years of age. For a bunch of guys in their 20s, they left us with a lot of memorable music and had terrific success. If you get the chance to see the documentary "If I Leave Here Tomorrow", it's a good retrospective about the band.

The Go-Gos.

criminally under-appreciated, but I believe they are in the rock & roll hall of fame now so I think they are getting their due respects.

EDIT: amazing how they started as punk rockers who lived the rock & roll life style to the fullest (Charlotte Caffey had big drug issues) and somehow managed to present themselves as this wholesome girl band.

Under the right circumstances it can be quite funny to yell Freebird.
2 things yelled at public events that are never funny:

1) yelling “youdaman” or “in the hole” on a par 4 tee box during a PGA event

2) “Freebird” everywhere else.

It’s embarrassing.

2 things yelled at public events that are never funny:

1) yelling “youdaman” or “in the hole” on a par 4 tee box during a PGA event

2) “Freebird” everywhere else.

It’s embarrassing.
I’m gonna walk my statement back slightly.

Worst thing ever is doing the Ric Flair Woo at a ball game.

I’m gonna walk my statement back slightly.

Worst thing ever is doing the Ric Flair Woo at a ball game.
That year it took hold was insufferable.

But I’m not walking mine back. I don’t expect everyone to agree but sometimes yelling Freebird is funny. Not saying it’s nice to do. Can be like live trolling. But I’ve been in bars where someone in the band is being a total dick for no apparent reason - and no cover band ever wants to hear that. So in that one instance alone, it’s dam funny.

KISS, when I was a teenager I hated them, I thought they were just a gimmick, well they were, their lyrics are 8th grade, their instrumentals are mediocre, but they perfectly fit that old saying "They're so bad, they're good", I got their Greatest Hits CD in the 2010s, at Walmart, $5. And just realize it's FUN, Nostalgic, even though they kind of suck :)

Also Ozzy Osborne, years later I got the $5 Greatest Hits CD and realized he was pretty good.

I still don't think I could ever get into their music, but Dave Matthews sounded like a really cool dude when I saw snippets of his Howard Stern interview. Love Crash into You, but the rest of what I've heard from them is very much the opposite of my style.

Reactions: Ski11585
Came here to say them. Thought they were weird in the 90s - even though I liked rock - and got super into them in the military.

I was really into Metallica and Tool when they were popular but moved on really quick once I got into Radiohead.
Radiohead is the opposite. A band I loved and still own their entire catalog but think they are so boring now

That maybe you didn't like or were just lukewarm during the height of their career but you've grown to really appreciate now?

Me?

Nirvana - maybe sounds cliche to name one of the biggest bands of all time. I "liked" their music but never took it seriously back in their heyday. Over the past year or so, I've really deep dived on their b-sides and grown to really like them.
Creedance Clearwater Revival. John Fogerty is one of the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT