ADVERTISEMENT

Name from the past

PittLaw85

Prep
Aug 20, 2021
So I'm staying at the Ritz-Carlton in Marina del Rey for a few days, and so is the ND football team. Last night, the power went down for about three hours and in poking my head outside the room I discovered that my wife and I have the room next to Rocco Spindler - son of Mark. Big boy - very big boy. This morning, as we headed out for a walk, I saw Mark himself - facially still the same, but he put on a LOT of weight and grew a pony tail. I realize he lives in Michigan now, but it made me wonder what efforts Pitt has made over the years to keep open the lines of communication with its former stars.

By the way, in looking at the ND roster, I see that Ron Powlus III is a QB on the roster. Now, I'm not saying that he's any good, and I do realize that Pitt isn't ND, but really.

So I'm staying at the Ritz-Carlton in Marina del Rey for a few days, and so is the ND football team. Last night, the power went down for about three hours and in poking my head outside the room I discovered that my wife and I have the room next to Rocco Spindler - son of Mark. Big boy - very big boy. This morning, as we headed out for a walk, I saw Mark himself - facially still the same, but he put on a LOT of weight and grew a pony tail. I realize he lives in Michigan now, but it made me wonder what efforts Pitt has made over the years to keep open the lines of communication with its former stars.

By the way, in looking at the ND roster, I see that Ron Powlus III is a QB on the roster. Now, I'm not saying that he's any good, and I do realize that Pitt isn't ND, but really.
You are liable to run into Dave Kristofic as well. Former OL for Pitt whose son plays for ND. Or possibly Josh Lugg’s parents who attended Pitt. Wear your Pitt gear.

Reactions: BPKY

Spindler lives a short distance from me. Some of my old hometown friends are social friends and hunting buddies of his. He has no love for Pitt. He was only there to play football and get to the NFL. Felt the school hung him out to dry after he left while the $hit was hitting the fan with the NCAA. Here’s a quote:

Because he spent most of his career in Detroit and lives in nearby Clarkston, Mich., he remains a Lions fan. Not so much with the Pitt Panthers. Because he left a year early before that was common, he was persona non grata around the Pitt campus.

“It’s unfortunate to go from being a guy they built a program around to being more or less blackballed,” Spindler said. “That really hurt me. For a while, it looked like Dave Wannstedt was reaching out, but when he was fired, that ended.”

When Pitt fired Gottfried, Spindler’s relationship with Pitt was severed. A real shame. He still is one of my favorite Panthers of all time. I think Marc may have stayed his senior year if Gottfried was still around. His knee injury dropped him in the draft but Marc had some solid years with the Lions.

Spindler lives a short distance from me. Some of my old hometown friends are social friends and hunting buddies of his. He has no love for Pitt. He was only there to play football and get to the NFL. Felt the school hung him out to dry after he left while the $hit was hitting the fan with the NCAA. Here’s a quote:

Because he spent most of his career in Detroit and lives in nearby Clarkston, Mich., he remains a Lions fan. Not so much with the Pitt Panthers. Because he left a year early before that was common, he was persona non grata around the Pitt campus.

“It’s unfortunate to go from being a guy they built a program around to being more or less blackballed,” Spindler said. “That really hurt me. For a while, it looked like Dave Wannstedt was reaching out, but when he was fired, that ended.”
We built a program around Spindler? LMAO. How arrogant -- and wrong.

“It’s unfortunate to go from being a guy they built aUn b program around to being more or less blackballed,” Spindler said. “That really hurt me. For a while, it looked like Dave Wannstedt was reaching out, but when he was fired, that ended.”

Wannstedt was awesome. Unbelievable we kept that joke of an AD who ruined so many programs over him who bridged the community, the old players, the NFL guys, and recruited so well. I know he is brash and cocky, but hope Narduzzi keeps reaching out to him.

As for Spindler, my son and I met him during the steeler super bowl week in Detroit, I had a Pitt shirt on and my son had a Pitt hat with a Barry Sanders shirt, and he said hail to Pitt and go lions to my son (who was like 4) and he high fived me. Certainly didnt seem to hate Pitt. But, then again, that was a super brief encounter, and dont know him at all.

Powlus will win 2 Heismans
like his Dad did.

Ruben Brown, Tony Sirigusa, Burt Grossman etc would like to have a word with Marc.

Hey, make no mistake, he was dominant. If you had rating services like now, Spindler would be a 5 star, top 20 recruit. He was national, huge national recruit. If I remember, he was actually young for his age, as he played as a FR at 17 years old. He was USA Today Defensive Player of the Year. He was awesome then he wrecked his knee.

Another example how we can’t have nice things. Spindler, Siragusa and Grossman had two years to all play together and they barely did due to knee injuries.

Three straight years signing the Gatorade defensive player of the year with Spindler, Bray and Gilbert and that trio together never materialized due to injuries and Prop 48.

Another example how we can’t have nice things. Spindler, Siragusa and Grossman had two years to all play together and they barely did due to knee injuries.

Three straight years signing the Gatorade defensive player of the year with Spindler, Bray and Gilbert and that trio together never materialized due to injuries and Prop 48.
Yeah and those years....at least until 1989, we didn't have a QB. Think about it, after Marino graduated, until AVP started, despite how well we recruited, we had LOUSY QB play.

Add Keith Hamilton to that group as well. Its almost painful to look at the talent Pitt had on defense in the late 80’s without really achieving all that much.
That was rampant in the 80's in Oakland. Stellar recruiting classes, not so stellar results. From the gridiron to the hardwood.

Reactions: columbus mike
John Congemi would like a word with you.
John was so bad. Good freshman year then nothing. Senior year he was given a four-wide receiver offense and posted a whopping 7 and 13 points at home versus Maryland and Temple, respectively. Junior year was shutout at home vs Syracuse and PSU.

Some of his passes should be shown on Comedy Central.

John Congemi would like a word with you.
He was a great guy, but.a weak armed, 5'11" dude who wasn't fast or athletic. We went after the wrong Youngstown guy (Congemi was originally from their). And the other kid badly wanted to be a Panther.

He was a great guy, but.a weak armed, 5'11" dude who wasn't fast or athletic. We went after the wrong Youngstown guy (Congemi was originally from their). And the other kid badly wanted to be a Panther.
He wasn't the best QB but the offensive coordinator, Chuck Stobart, had him running an offense where he was rolling out all the way to one side of the field and throwing short out passes all the way to the other side of the field. It was totally not conducive to Ace Congemi. Also, on the roster was John Cummings a QB from New Jersey and Joe Falitski who transferred back from Notre Dame and out of high school was supposed to be the second coming of Marino. Big strong and a central catholic boy.

He wasn't the best QB but the offensive coordinator, Chuck Stobart, had him running an offense where he was rolling out all the way to one side of the field and throwing short out passes all the way to the other side of the field. It was totally not conducive to Ace Congemi. Also, on the roster was John Cummings a QB from New Jersey and Joe Falitski who transferred back from Notre Dame and out of high school was supposed to be the second coming of Marino. Big strong and a central catholic boy.
Don't forget Rich Bowen, big strong and another Western PA catholic school kid.

Cummings actually beat Congemi out after Marino left. Got hurt and Congemi took over. I never thought Congemi was as bad as some on here do.

Spindler underachieved here. So typical for people who do that to blame others.
The unspoken part of the story is that the NCAA was looking hard at Pitt’s recruiting practices at that time and Spindler, Frank D’Alonzo and the infamous Golden Panthers were at the center of that. He got the cold shoulder from the school because the heat was on him. Like Andy Katzenmoyer at OSU, Spindler really made no bones about the fact that the only reason he was in college at all was to play football and get to the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT