ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi in the News

Pitt8189

Scholarship
Sep 10, 2022

Pat Narduzzi keeps pointing to NIL as college football's boogeyman, even when there's no sign it's true​

Dan Wetzel
Mon, December 26, 2022 at 6:29 PM EST

College football — or at least its reputation — is under assault right now. The main culprit, however, is not name, image and likeness deals, the transfer portal or supposed tampering of players on other rosters.

The biggest damage is being done by the sport’s coaches who, like a pack of rumor-mongering junior high kids, spread wild stories about its demise, most of which prove overinflated, if not patently false.

If it's not the fake news that’s hurting college football, it’s the fake outrage inspired by it.

The latest came last week when Pittsburgh head coach Pat Narduzzi went on Pittsburgh’s 93.7 The Fan and lamented the changing times, such as players sitting out bowl games to focus on their professional futures.

(No mention was made of the long-standing tradition of coaches bailing on bowl teams to take new jobs or some bowl directors making nearly $1 million a year to stage a single game or anything else like that, of course.)

Narduzzi then went on to discuss North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye, who decided to remain in Chapel Hill rather than enter the transfer portal and explore interest from other schools.

Previously, Carolina head coach Mack Brown said schools he refused to name had offered Maye “a whole lot of money” to transfer. Later, he acknowledged the “tampering” was done via agents and not any actual coaches and, as such, there was no way to prove or know the actual details.

Soon, social media was full of speculation of a $4 million offer, then a $5 million offer. Other coaches privately mocked such numbers as wildly out of line with market rates. Major athletic directors have noted there are only a handful, at most, of school collectives with $5 million total for the entire athletic department.

Still, it was like a game of telephone.

“I heard two schools [for] $5 million [each],” Narduzzi said.

Wait, now it was two schools?

He offered no other details and decried that schools were “tampering.”

It made, of course, little sense that a coach would have the intricate knowledge of private conversasions/negotiations involving other schools and another school’s player. This was triple hearsay, at best.

Regardless, the story spread, as did the panic among some media and fans who worry about the “wild, wild west” nature of the sport.

Maye soon dismissed the story to ESPN and acted bewildered why Narduzzi would weigh in at all.

"Those rumors weren't really reality," Maye told ESPN, adding, "Pitt's coach ended up putting that out there. I don't know what that was about."

So what happened?

“Some people were texting my high school coach about it,” Maye said. “That's mainly what happened, people reached out to some of my representatives and NIL media people … There was nothing to me or my family directly offered from any of these other schools. Nothing was said or offered to the Mayes."

"... Really, not that much went down," Maye continued. "There was speculation [that Maye might transfer] and an Instagram post [by Maye declaring he was staying at UNC] and a head coach [at another school] said turned down this amount of money that I'd never heard of.

“That's basically the gist."

So, basically nothing. No significant “tampering” — which as a concept isn’t even a bad thing. No massive offer. In fact, Maye instead agreed to a deal with North Carolina’s NIL collective for what its executive director told ESPN was a “a very, very fair amount.” In other words, the system worked.

Before the truth got out, though, another bit of damage to the sport was done. There is a sizable enough number of fans who think the game is in trouble because some coaches claim it is. The idea persists that there are unnamed and unknown programs out there, offering mass amounts of money to steal players from self-respecting institutions.

As a result, the entire sport is a disaster and there is no reason to even be a fan.

(Conversely, if the Narduzzi story was true, you could look at it as unbelievably great news that someone learned of multiple offers of $5 million to do the same job they just did, but that would require an entire rewiring of the sport’s mindset.)

Look, these coaches have lost a measure of control in the job. Players have more power and freedom. Building and maintaining a roster is no doubt more labor intensive.

There has been a disruption to business and, like it is in many industries, the old guard isn’t comfortable. So despite their ever-increasing salaries, they are up in their feelings and acting out.

Are there some players who transfer or pick a program due to an offer of more money (usually a moderate amount)? Sure. There has to be. After all, coaches switch jobs for that reason all the time. Is it an epidemic? Hardly. There are many reasons to change schools. Money is but one of them. And the transfer portal works both ways, after all. Even Pitt is adding a transfer quarterback for the second consecutive year.

If coaches have reasonable suggestions to improve an ever-changing world, amplifying these fabulous stories certainly doesn't help accomplish them. The wailing kills their credibility.

Where are these big offers, anyway? Last year, the big scandal was when star receiver Jordan Addison left Pitt for USC. The rumor mill claimed Addison was lured by a $3 million deal, discounting any interest in playing with a star quarterback (Caleb Williams) in an electric offense (Lincoln Riley’s) in a great city (Los Angeles).

Addison caught just 59 passes, so if the dollar figure had been true, it was a horrendous investment.

But was it true? If USC is so wealthy it paid $3 million for a single season from a single wide receiver then it should have at least that much to spread around for next year, too. Yet the Trojans signed just four top-100 recruits and have landed just one top 20 transfer, weak by their traditional standards.

NIL being out of control is a good narrative because it casts sympathy on supposedly upstanding, old-school coaches while cutting at the credibility and ethics of others.

Meanwhile, Mack Brown is aided by the story of his star quarterback so valuing his opportunity to play at UNC that he wouldn’t ever entertain these “whole lot of money” offers … and then got paid anyway.

Win. Win.

Has NIL changed college football? Sure. Is this a real problem? We’ll see, but nothing major has materialized yet, certainly not these overblown stories coaches are telling that do little but cut into the popularity of their own sport.

it was odd that Narduzzi brought up Maye though, the UNC qb. it really is not his place to bring this up at all.

Why is the player any more believable than Narduzzi? Coaches reached out to his people is the same as offering him.
Narduzzi isn't believable because he has no involvement in this story. He wasn't even claiming to have some inside scoop he just said he heard somewhere that Maye got offered that.

Maye is believable because if he was truly offered 5 million he probably isn't still at UNC.

Is Maye a guarantee moving forward? Seems like the sophomore slump has been going around a lot lately. Wonder what he'll do without Downs (and I'm sure they're losing one or two more, although I imagine they're an attractive transfer destination).

My firm provides our budding stars ”media training” in the even that reporters reach out to them given that our business is often a topic in the financial news (WSJ, NYT, etc). I can tell you personally after receiving this training and understanding the importance of it, coach Duzz really needs to be trained in this area and it is evident of Pitt’s oversight on this topic. Pitt’s brand is bigger than any one coach or head coach and you would think the AD would have better control of what is said that may or may not bring the desired or undired attention to the program. The basis for me saying this is his past comments on former coaches (Canada), players, teams (Mich St), Conferences (Big10), and now rumors regarding other teams and players. Its almost as if you can come to expect a comment from Duzz at the end of each season.

Exactly. And then crying that damage is done? What an ignorant blind fool to think this stuff doesn't go on. How are reporters this dumb?
Journalists today all have a narrative to tell. All of them. There is not one that seems willing to have the intellectual curiosity, let alone journalistic chops to dig into things. Dan, you don't think this is happening? It is not feasible. Look, so many of these guys understood how upside down it was when coaches and schools got millions and the players couldn't get a free pizza legally. So it is "damn the man, let these players have whatever they want". They are cheering for this, not realizing even pro sports have rules on. how compensation is distributed. Every journalist seems to have graduated from the Che Guevara school of journalism.

Wow! What a surprise that older college coaches don't feel comfortable in the new situation. The article makes a mountain out of a mole hill. A coach goes on a local radio channel and bemoans the new system which he is uncomfortable with and repeats an unlikley situation to show his dislike. Really, who cares?

It’s like the southern border is secure! A lot of things going on with this NIL stuff this guy is a clown.

Reactions: PantherDDS
Narduzzi acts like a little gossiping school girl a lot.

Chatty Patty is always in the news gossiping about something.

A lot of things going on with this NIL stuff this guy is a clown.
A serious question. I don't understand this post. If "A lot of things are going on with NIL...", why is Narduzzi a clown for wading in and basically giving it the thumbs down? The two parts of your sentence seem to be in conflict to me.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
My firm provides our budding stars ”media training” in the even that reporters reach out to them given that our business is often a topic in the financial news (WSJ, NYT, etc). I can tell you personally after receiving this training and understanding the importance of it, coach Duzz really needs to be trained in this area and it is evident of Pitt’s oversight on this topic. Pitt’s brand is bigger than any one coach or head coach and you would think the AD would have better control of what is said that may or may not bring the desired or undired attention to the program. The basis for me saying this is his past comments on former coaches (Canada), players, teams (Mich St), Conferences (Big10), and now rumors regarding other teams and players. Its almost as if you can come to expect a comment from Duzz at the end of each season.

what firm do you work at

Reactions: steelcurtain55.

May not agree with it, but he is purposeful in his digs.

No more gracious dude than Wanny, and the Pittsburgh and pro PSU media did him absolutely no favors at any time. The general media was OK with him mostly, until the theme came about he had lost control of the players.

Point being - Pitt is what it is, an urban, non state school in the shadow of one of the biggest name state schools in the country. It does have some panache being part of the "City of Champions" and living next to the Steelers, but by and large it is a foil for all the bigger brand, traditional powers, wholesome all American B10 and big dog SEC schools.

Some here, as with those in the media who view Pitt as that foil, want to get too tied into grey lines with him. But, he never says anything that even remotely crosses any kind of meaningful line.

He is a LOT smarter than some want to think and he knows all of this and indulges his inner italian to take digs here or there. These are not slip ups, he knows what he is doing, right or wrong.

I'm betting that Narduzzi has a lot of insider information that drove these comments. He may not have that info about Maye but a high profile player with lots of rumors flying around is a great opportunity for making a point.

I, for one, am glad that Narduzzi seems to be taking this issue head-on by whatever means available. He was burned with Addison and he seems to want to lead while other coaches let it ride. Good for him.

Mack Brown says teams reached out. Narduzzi said it was two for $5 million. Dan Orlovsky said he heard that as well. Maye said no one reached out to him specifically, but to the people around him. He promptly gets a fair deal from the UNC collective in a pay to play deal.

Narduzzi never comes out looking good in these things, but was he wrong and does he think differently than a lot of people on this issue? I’m fine with players getting paid, but it should be true NIL or the schools should be paying, not these collectives. There’s also no doubt tampering is going on. I find it amusing how these national college football writers completely dismiss things.

Exactly. And then crying that damage is done? What an ignorant blind fool to think this stuff doesn't go on. How are reporters this dumb?
This is simply another one of those “conspiracy theories” that will be proven true. Instead of digging for the truth like reporters of old did, wetzel is doing someone’s bidding. Media is dead.

Pat Narduzzi keeps pointing to NIL as college football's boogeyman, even when there's no sign it's true​

Dan Wetzel

College football — or at least its reputation — is under assault right now. The main culprit, however, is not name, image and likeness deals, the transfer portal or supposed tampering of players on other rosters.

The biggest damage is being done by the sport’s coaches who, like a pack of rumor-mongering junior high kids, spread wild stories about its demise, most of which prove overinflated, if not patently false.

If it's not the fake news that’s hurting college football, it’s the fake outrage inspired by it.

The latest came last week when Pittsburgh head coach Pat Narduzzi went on Pittsburgh’s 93.7 The Fan and lamented the changing times, such as players sitting out bowl games to focus on their professional futures.

(No mention was made of the long-standing tradition of coaches bailing on bowl teams to take new jobs or some bowl directors making nearly $1 million a year to stage a single game or anything else like that, of course.)

Narduzzi then went on to discuss North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye, who decided to remain in Chapel Hill rather than enter the transfer portal and explore interest from other schools.

Previously, Carolina head coach Mack Brown said schools he refused to name had offered Maye “a whole lot of money” to transfer. Later, he acknowledged the “tampering” was done via agents and not any actual coaches and, as such, there was no way to prove or know the actual details.

Soon, social media was full of speculation of a $4 million offer, then a $5 million offer. Other coaches privately mocked such numbers as wildly out of line with market rates. Major athletic directors have noted there are only a handful, at most, of school collectives with $5 million total for the entire athletic department.

It made, of course, little sense that a coach would have the intricate knowledge of private conversasions/negotiations involving other schools and another school’s player. This was triple hearsay, at best.

Regardless, the story spread, as did the panic among some media and fans who worry about the “wild, wild west” nature of the sport.

Maye soon dismissed the story to ESPN and acted bewildered why Narduzzi would weigh in at all.

"Those rumors weren't really reality," Maye told ESPN, adding, "Pitt's coach ended up putting that out there. I don't know what that was about."

So what happened?

“Some people were texting my high school coach about it,” Maye said. “That's mainly what happened, people reached out to some of my representatives and NIL media people … There was nothing to me or my family directly offered from any of these other schools. Nothing was said or offered to the Mayes."

"... Really, not that much went down," Maye continued. "There was speculation [that Maye might transfer] and an Instagram post [by Maye declaring he was staying at UNC] and a head coach [at another school] said turned down this amount of money that I'd never heard of.

So, basically nothing. No significant “tampering” — which as a concept isn’t even a bad thing. No massive offer. In fact, Maye instead agreed to a deal with North Carolina’s NIL collective for what its executive director told ESPN was a “a very, very fair amount.” In other words, the system worked.

Before the truth got out, though, another bit of damage to the sport was done. There is a sizable enough number of fans who think the game is in trouble because some coaches claim it is. The idea persists that there are unnamed and unknown programs out there, offering mass amounts of money to steal players from self-respecting institutions.

As a result, the entire sport is a disaster and there is no reason to even be a fan.

(Conversely, if the Narduzzi story was true, you could look at it as unbelievably great news that someone learned of multiple offers of $5 million to do the same job they just did, but that would require an entire rewiring of the sport’s mindset.)

Look, these coaches have lost a measure of control in the job. Players have more power and freedom. Building and maintaining a roster is no doubt more labor intensive.

There has been a disruption to business and, like it is in many industries, the old guard isn’t comfortable. So despite their ever-increasing salaries, they are up in their feelings and acting out.

Are there some players who transfer or pick a program due to an offer of more money (usually a moderate amount)? Sure. There has to be. After all, coaches switch jobs for that reason all the time. Is it an epidemic? Hardly. There are many reasons to change schools. Money is but one of them. And the transfer portal works both ways, after all. Even Pitt is adding a transfer quarterback for the second consecutive year.

If coaches have reasonable suggestions to improve an ever-changing world, amplifying these fabulous stories certainly doesn't help accomplish them. The wailing kills their credibility.

Where are these big offers, anyway? Last year, the big scandal was when star receiver Jordan Addison left Pitt for USC. The rumor mill claimed Addison was lured by a $3 million deal, discounting any interest in playing with a star quarterback (Caleb Williams) in an electric offense (Lincoln Riley’s) in a great city (Los Angeles).

Addison caught just 59 passes, so if the dollar figure had been true, it was a horrendous investment.

But was it true? If USC is so wealthy it paid $3 million for a single season from a single wide receiver then it should have at least that much to spread around for next year, too. Yet the Trojans signed just four top-100 recruits and have landed just one top 20 transfer, weak by their traditional standards.

NIL being out of control is a good narrative because it casts sympathy on supposedly upstanding, old-school coaches while cutting at the credibility and ethics of others.

Meanwhile, Mack Brown is aided by the story of his star quarterback so valuing his opportunity to play at UNC that he wouldn’t ever entertain these “whole lot of money” offers … and then got paid anyway.

Win. Win.

Has NIL changed college football? Sure. Is this a real problem? We’ll see, but nothing major has materialized yet, certainly not these overblown stories coaches are telling that do little but cut into the popularity of their own sport.

Is anyone under oath? Perhaps the QB from UNC is being less than truthful.

Some here, as with those in the media who view Pitt as that foil, want to get too tied into grey lines with him. But, he never says anything that even remotely crosses any kind of meaningful line.
Pitt is an easy target because you don't have to wake up to a thousand emails threatening your family in your inbox if you take a shot at Duzz or the program. Pitt fans sort of accept it and move on.

The premise of this article is that other schools reaching out was false and then the kid admits that his HS coach and some others close to him did have people make contact because that's always how it works. Anyway, the kid has to deny it now that he's staying because he would most likely be breaking the state's NIL law.

Is anyone under oath? Perhaps the QB from UNC is being less than truthful.
He said he wasn’t directly contacted but his people were. I don’t think he’s lying, but when offers are being sent to you when you aren’t in the portal via your people is that really any different than contacting the player directly?

My firm provides our budding stars ”media training” in the even that reporters reach out to them given that our business is often a topic in the financial news (WSJ, NYT, etc). I can tell you personally after receiving this training and understanding the importance of it, coach Duzz really needs to be trained in this area and it is evident of Pitt’s oversight on this topic. Pitt’s brand is bigger than any one coach or head coach and you would think the AD would have better control of what is said that may or may not bring the desired or undired attention to the program. The basis for me saying this is his past comments on former coaches (Canada), players, teams (Mich St), Conferences (Big10), and now rumors regarding other teams and players. It’s almost as if you can come to expect a comment from Duzz at the end of each season.
You’re absolutely right about HCPN. But good luck telling him he has to undergo “media training” so that he communicate in public better. 😊😊

Narduzzi said it so this would happen….he doesn’t care if a guy like Wetzel writes an article, because people are still talking out it. Instead of Maye announcing he is returning to UNC and everyone moving on as if nothing went down, Narduzzi’s comment kept this going. For years coaches bit their tongue when it comes to players getting paid by other schools; kind of like not wanting to be a snitch or maybe someday they would be at a place where they can get away with it.

College football is at a point where they need some changes to that NIL and the portal. The more coaches that speak up, the better.

Dan Wetzel

So what happened?

Win. Win.

Narduzzi most certainly knows firsthand what went down with Addison -- the counteroffer that he had to put together, and that it wasn't enough. He's also aware of other players on his team like Kancey being approached but agreeing to stay put. Anybody who thinks that the current Heisman trophy winner and last year's Biletnikoff winner both coincidentally decide to transfer and pick the same school -- in Addison's case on the other side of the country -- because of Lincoln Riley's offense and "a great city" is seriously naive or, more likely, pushing a narrative.

Narduzzi is not polished, but he's also not the bumbling fool that some on this board would have us believe. He picks his talking points for a reason. He was a target of tampering and likely knows that Pitt will continue to be a target, and he's calling it out.

Narduzzi most certainly knows firsthand what went down with Addison -- the counteroffer that he had to put together, and that it wasn't enough. He's also aware of other players on his team like Kancey being approached but agreeing to stay put. Anybody who thinks that the current Heisman trophy winner and last year's Biletnikoff winner both coincidentally decide to transfer and pick the same school -- in Addison's case on the other side of the country -- because of Lincoln Riley's offense and "a great city" is seriously naive or, more likely, pushing a narrative.

Narduzzi is not polished, but he's also not the bumbling fool that some on this board would have us believe. He picks his talking points for a reason. He was a target of tampering and likely knows that Pitt will continue to be a target, and he's calling it out.
Right.

Narduzzi isn't believable because he has no involvement in this story. He wasn't even claiming to have some inside scoop he just said he heard somewhere that Maye got offered that.

Maye is believable because if he was truly offered 5 million he probably isn't still at UNC.
Huh? A coach who has contacts everywhere isn’t believable but a kid who specifically says that people within his circle were contacted but he wasn’t so the contacts didn’t actually happen is believable?

Reactions: PittMan2003
I much prefer honesty than media handling where what someone says has no value whatsoever. What you are doing is insular and your customers will eventually distrust you because there is zero attempt at honesty and openness.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
May not agree with it, but he is purposeful in his digs.

No more gracious dude than Wanny, and the Pittsburgh and pro PSU media did him absolutely no favors at any time. The general media was OK with him mostly, until the theme came about he had lost control of the players.

Point being - Pitt is what it is, an urban, non state school in the shadow of one of the biggest name state schools in the country. It does have some panache being part of the "City of Champions" and living next to the Steelers, but by and large it is a foil for all the bigger brand, traditional powers, wholesome all American B10 and big dog SEC schools.

He is a LOT smarter than some want to think and he knows all of this and indulges his inner italian to take digs here or there. These are not slip ups, he knows what he is doing, right or wrong.
I don’t agree with this. While it may be the case that he’s calculating with his comments at times, he says a lot of really stupid, childish, indefensible $hit. The Canada and Whipple slag jobs were petty and idiotic, and made him look like a buffoon to the entire college football world. The Michigan State/B10 rant was the same and was received the same way. There are many additional examples.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
Narduzzi is right at the heart of NIL tampering (see USC and JA)

The Washington State coach cones out and essentially echoes Narduzzis comments

And OSU loses a 5 star to Georgia because the couldnt match th 1.5 mill.

And this writer wants to go after Narduzzi.

What we know: journalists today no longer report.....they try to entertain.

What we also know (and history will likely confirm) is Narduzzi was right

College football is at a point where they need some changes to that NIL and the portal. The more coaches that speak up, the better.

There absolutely need to be changes. Of course the changes that need to be made are that instead of all this going through boosters and collectives it should be the schools directly employing and paying the players. And the schools want no part of that.

If Narduzi really wants to solve the problem, he needs to be complaining that the people who sign his checks, and the people at the other schools who sign other coaches checks, want absolutely no part of the real solution. They only want to bitch about what avoiding the real solution has caused.

• Haha
Reactions: Franb and FireballZ
Why is the player any more believable than Narduzzi? Coaches reached out to his people is the same as offering him.
#1. The player is directly involved and Narduzzi even says that he's repeating a rumor and won't specify teams.

#2. Which party has more to gain from what they said?
a. Narduzzi is a coach at a borderline successful (top 20-35 team) that doesn't really have a shot at competing in a booster war with many of its peers. The fall of the booster NIL landscape would be the best thing to happen for him.
b. Maye is a star QB with the NFL Draft in his future. He didn't get $5 million and stayed at UNC for likely far less than that. If he came out and said boosters at other schools were offering his team $5 million and he still decided to stay at UNC he would come across as an absolute hero.

I don't see anything wrong or troubling about the article outside that final paragraph. Maye didn't chase the money, if it even existed, and Narduzzi spread negative rumors about a system that had already burned him before. Repeat Narduzzi's line in your head with a valley girl accent and it becomes a little more apparent how ridiculous it was.

Repeat Narduzzi's line in your head with a valley girl accent and it becomes a little more apparent how ridiculous it was.
Yes, be a good little second tier school and just take it. Right?

I went back and looked at Wetzel and what he's writing and he seems to think all this is fine because free market, or something. Totally ignores that tampering with players from another school has always been illegal. The NFL even has rules against it. And that is really the heart of the matter. The whole point of the article is that Narduzzi is full of crap but he wasn't. The kid even admits to there being indirect contact. He leveraged it against UNC to get a better NIL deal and this clown is defending the kid using the rumors against his school But yeah, Duzz is the jerk.

I don’t agree with this. While it may be the case that he’s calculating with his comments at times, he says a lot of really stupid, childish, indefensible $hit. The Canada and Whipple slag jobs were petty and idiotic, and made him look like a buffoon to the entire college football world. The Michigan State/B10 rant was the same and was received the same way. There are many additional examples.
Nonsense.

#1. The player is directly involved and Narduzzi even says that he's repeating a rumor and won't specify teams.

#2. Which party has more to gain from what they said?
a. Narduzzi is a coach at a borderline successful (top 20-35 team) that doesn't really have a shot at competing in a booster war with many of its peers. The fall of the booster NIL landscape would be the best thing to happen for him.
b. Maye is a star QB with the NFL Draft in his future. He didn't get $5 million and stayed at UNC for likely far less than that. If he came out and said boosters at other schools were offering his team $5 million and he still decided to stay at UNC he would come across as an absolute hero.

I don't see anything wrong or troubling about the article outside that final paragraph. Maye didn't chase the money, if it even existed, and Narduzzi spread negative rumors about a system that had already burned him before. Repeat Narduzzi's line in your head with a valley girl accent and it becomes a little more apparent how ridiculous it was.
You completely ignore that Narduzzi was using a high profile situation to make a legitimate point. It was as far from ridiculous as it gets.

You completely ignore that Narduzzi was using a high profile situation to make a legitimate point. It was as far from ridiculous as it gets.
Did 2 schools offer him $5 million each? Does he have first-hand knowledge or proof? If so, be a man and say what institutions. If not, then I don't care what you heard Tammy and Mark did under the bleachers last tuesday.

This writer's entire point is that coaches are spreading rumors and exaggerations to forward their cause to a solution that is beneficial to themselves. If Narduzzi wants to come out and give facts about the Addison situation, then do it. But to every non-Pitt fan, and many Pitt fans, he is just coming across like an entitled sore loser.

Meh ... I wouldn't take some of the digs he takes myself (some I would), but there is a lot of space between where you are with it and where people at large are, imo. Pretty much anyone who gets all bent out of shape over it was looking for &hit (and will find it EITHER way) to take shots at Pitt.

What I do believe is for THIS program, it most assuredly is not a bad thing that he is a bit bellicose given that that the local media and state media that favors PSU has slagging Pitt as a default - best way to deal with that is to lean into it. Not lost in that is that he actually LIKES being at Pitt and has embraced it for what it is.

Its like a marriage - if you have a good one who wants to marry you, you have to give them space to be who they are.

Any coach that is making millions of dollars is not going to come off well when complaining about players getting paid.

ADVERTISEMENT