ADVERTISEMENT

NBA and The ACC

What I find interesting is that the PAC 12, which many considers the weakest Power 5 basketball conference, comes the closest to the ACC. Certainly seems like a top-heavy conference.

Part of the problem for the PAC 12 was so many of those NBA players were one and dones that often didn’t make that big of an impact at their respective programs before they left. UCLA went through a stretch a few years ago where it seemed like it was a revolving door every year to the NBA.

Obviously it’s nice to have that kind of talent, but if your coaches aren’t that good those type of teams never seem to gel as a unit.

What I find interesting is that the PAC 12, which many considers the weakest Power 5 basketball conference, comes the closest to the ACC. Certainly seems like a top-heavy conference.

On a players per team basis the PAC 12 is actually better than the ACC.

Part of the problem for the PAC 12 was so many of those NBA players were one and dones that often didn’t make that big of an impact at their respective programs before they left. UCLA went through a stretch a few years ago where it seemed like it was a revolving door every year to the NBA.

Obviously it’s nice to have that kind of talent, but if your coaches aren’t that good those type of teams never seem to gel as a unit.

They seem to wind up with a lot of kids who aren’t projected to be one-and-dones yet wind up as one-and-dones, too.

Zach LaVine, Marquese Chriss, Jonah Bolden, Kevin Porter Jr and maybe Luguentz Dort this year. All 4-star, non-McDonald’s All-Americans who wind up as one and dones.

At least guys like Kevon Looney and Troy Brown were lower ranked 5-stars when they left after a year.

Seems like they get quite a bit of turnover among the better programs in terms of talent leaving and then the lower programs are just bad because nobody wants to play for Oregon State or Washington State.

Plus, yeah, the coaching at the middle programs isn’t great. Enfield’s underwhelming, Hurley seems to fade a bit each year, Boyle, Haase, Krystkowiak, and Jones are either totally unremarkable or extremely overwhelmed by the job.

The list of Seattle area guards is historically impressive to me, especially considering the demographics of the PNW.

They seem to wind up with a lot of kids who aren’t projected to be one-and-dones yet wind up as one-and-dones, too.

Zach LaVine, Marquese Chriss, Jonah Bolden, Kevin Porter Jr and maybe Luguentz Dort this year. All 4-star, non-McDonald’s All-Americans who wind up as one and dones.

At least guys like Kevon Looney and Troy Brown were lower ranked 5-stars when they left after a year.

Seems like they get quite a bit of turnover among the better programs in terms of talent leaving and then the lower programs are just bad because nobody wants to play for Oregon State or Washington State.

Plus, yeah, the coaching at the middle programs isn’t great. Enfield’s underwhelming, Hurley seems to fade a bit each year, Boyle, Haase, Krystkowiak, and Jones are either totally unremarkable or extremely overwhelmed by the job.

Tinkle has basically formed a team consisting of his and Stephen Thompson’s sons. They seem to be decent, but when they’re gone it will be a real struggle for him to recruit.

Ernie Kent may be the worst power conference coach in the country. I can’t think of anyone even comparable.

ADVERTISEMENT