ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA and NIL

cruzer

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
Given the current state of college sports and NIL, I don't understand why the NCAA simply doesn't drop the pretense of having any rules around NIL. Allow the schools to directly pay athletes whatever the market will bear for their services. Stop making believe that NIL deals have anything to do with name, image, and likeness. The players could still strike NIL deals directly with companies, but their salary would be paid by the institution. Yes, this would effectively make college sports (at least football and mens basketball) a minor league system for the pros. At least it would be an honest approach. What we have now with NIL is a joke. Every institution would then have to decide if they want to participate in the new world of P5 sports. Players would sign multi-year contracts. They could still be eligible to transfer at any time, but the NCAA could require compensation (probably just cash) to the school that loses a player. Comp could be based on the value of the new contract and the number of years remaining on the old contract.

Anyway, just a thought since the current "system" seems to be completely broken.

Cruzer

Given the current state of college sports and NIL, I don't understand why the NCAA simply doesn't drop the pretense of having any rules around NIL. Allow the schools to directly pay athletes whatever the market will bear for their services. Stop making believe that NIL deals have anything to do with name, image, and likeness. The players could still strike NIL deals directly with companies, but their salary would be paid by the institution. Yes, this would effectively make college sports (at least football and mens basketball) a minor league system for the pros. At least it would be an honest approach. What we have now with NIL is a joke. Every institution would then have to decide if they want to participate in the new world of P5 sports. Players would sign multi-year contracts. They could still be eligible to transfer at any time, but the NCAA could require compensation (probably just cash) to the school that loses a player. Comp could be based on the value of the new contract and the number of years remaining on the old contract.

Anyway, just a thought since the current "system" seems to be completely broken.

Cruzer

I wished but they want to continue to pay their athletes $0 and as long as boosters are paying salaries, they have no need to pay them. Its a completely unregulated salary system. I wished Pitt and others would push for it to be regulated but we cower and comply

The OP' s idea i think would be the dam bursting.

That is, some college presidents would say enough is enough and simply end the whole charade.

If nothing changes, i am convinced we will see P5 schools surrender and move down or fold completely

The OP' s idea i think would be the dam bursting.

That is, some college presidents would say enough is enough and simply end the whole charade.

If nothing changes, i am convinced we will see P5 schools surrender and move down or fold completely
If nothing changes, they are going to continue with this current system because it makes them quite rich. They have a billion dollar industry where they have third party boosters pay most of the employees. Why would they want to leave that?

Cruzer
Why would the NCAA do this? The NCAA represents the universities. Having the players get paid by boosters is a fantastic system for the colleges. I'd love to run a business like that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT