ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Preseason thoughts . . .

kma0043

Junior
Nov 30, 2014
After the scare yesterday and all the discussion about "vanilla" game plans etc., I was thinking what is the sense of even playing a regular season game when you aren't truly even "playing" your game? Why not have every FBS team host an FCS team the Saturday before Labor Day weekend as a preseason game? Some thoughts (pros) about that idea:

1. FBS teams wouldn't be allowed to schedule an FCS team once the regular season begins.
2. Young players would be given a chance to play, with freshmen players not losing their redshirt eligibility by playing in the preseason game.
3. It's another home game for FBS teams, which equals more revenue for them. Plus FCS teams would be paid to play an FBS team in the preseason game.
4. Allows team to work out their "kinks" and (supposedly) make the regular season product better.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts/opinions about this matter.

Good idea, and there have been other good ideas (like allowing teams to scrimmage in August, etc.) and outlawing FCS games outright, or some combination. But they apparently will never have traction. Apparently most of the biggest schools and networks like way things are, for whatever reason.

I just don't see how FBS vs. FCS games can be profitable at all.
It's not, for the likes of us. We do it because we (like all FBS schools) want more home games than away; and there aren't enough lower grade FBS teams to go around for the P5 teams to play one and done with, so we've been priced out. PSU will apparently pay Akron far more than we will for their one and done. So we go down, literally, to the bargain basement for our one and done opponent.

After the scare yesterday and all the discussion about "vanilla" game plans etc., I was thinking what is the sense of even playing a regular season game when you aren't truly even "playing" your game? Why not have every FBS team host an FCS team the Saturday before Labor Day weekend as a preseason game? Some thoughts (pros) about that idea:

1. FBS teams wouldn't be allowed to schedule an FCS team once the regular season begins.
2. Young players would be given a chance to play, with freshmen players not losing their redshirt eligibility by playing in the preseason game.
3. It's another home game for FBS teams, which equals more revenue for them. Plus FCS teams would be paid to play an FBS team in the preseason game.
4. Allows team to work out their "kinks" and (supposedly) make the regular season product better.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts/opinions about this matter.

This is a great idea in theory and they've discussed similar scenarios on SiriusXM. The counterpoint was that if the game doesn't count the risk of injury is too high.

Would the FBS team wouldn't play their key personnel? Probably not (or at least not for very long) so how many kinks get worked out?

The FCS team also has squad goals. If the fighting Bo Pelini's had suffered a injury (even a minor one) to their starting QB and then end up losing the next two games and dashing their title hopes was it worth it for a practice and a payday?

A similar idea would be to turn spring games into the FBS-FCS game. Minor injuries have time to heal and the risk of injury is less than the common spring game model as you only have 11 players on the field at a time instead of 22.

ADVERTISEMENT