ADVERTISEMENT

ND's extension with NBC to 2029

So the ACC (likely) remains intact until then. No further Big Ten expansion is happening with Notre Dame, and the SEC likely won’t expand if the Big Ten doesn’t.

Serious question here: Why does the ACC let Notre Dame in for some non-revenue sports? I honestly can't believe that their basketball team draws many eyeballs. And so they play a handful of football games against the ACC every year. So what? It's not like ND will ever be in the national conversation for football anyway.

The ACC should never have agreed to get used by ND.

So the ACC (likely) remains intact until then. No further Big Ten expansion is happening with Notre Dame, and the SEC likely won’t expand if the Big Ten doesn’t.
Once again rumblings of an imminent ACC implosion start up(taken with a grain of salt, Swaim's sources can be hit or miss, but reads like he is hearing things from sources at multiple ACC schools):

It seems like it is inevitable that the ACC is going to collapse given the league's top school are openly indicating they would leave for an SEC or B1G invite.

At this point it's starting to feel IMO that the sooner it happens the better; so Pitt can start structuring things around the way things will be going forward, even if that means they are in a "best of the rest" Big 12.

Once again rumblings of an imminent ACC implosion start up(taken with a grain of salt, Swaim's sources can be hit or miss, but reads like he is hearing things from sources at multiple ACC schools):

It seems like it is inevitable that the ACC is going to collapse given the league's top school are openly indicating they would leave for an SEC or B1G invite.

At this point it's starting to feel IMO that the sooner it happens the better; so Pitt can start structuring things around the way things will be going forward, even if that means they are in a "best of the rest" Big 12.
Ain’t no way you just used Greg Swaim as a source.

If that happens, I truly hope we end up back in the Big East with Boston College, Syracuse, and even Duke.

Serious question here: Why does the ACC let Notre Dame in for some non-revenue sports? I honestly can't believe that their basketball team draws many eyeballs. And so they play a handful of football games against the ACC every year. So what? It's not like ND will ever be in the national conversation for football anyway.

The ACC should never have agreed to get used by ND.
Because Notre Dame’s commitment to play a bunch of ACC football games a year has two benefits: (1) it gives the ACC schools who are hosting Notre Dame in any given year a really good home game to sell tickets off of; and (2) those same home games are usually broadcasted on ABC in good time slots, which the ACC makes money from as part of their television package with ESPN. And I suspect that there was a minor benefit to having Notre Dame’s non-football sports included in the ACC Network when ESPN was trying to get the network off the ground and picked up by carriers.

They wouldn’t do it if it didn’t add value to the conference as a whole.

I’m curious just how much benefit they have. I’d like to see it monetized out to see if it’s really worth laying down for them in hoops and olympic sports.

I have my hunch it’d be better to tell them to take a hike and play in the all catholic schools league unless they join for football

Pitt should stay in the ACC and get their portion of the huge penalty payments, and then leave when the conference ceases to exist.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Please delete this. Greg Swaim is the ultimate fake news Big 12 propogandist.

The Big 12, Big 10, and ND deals all come due at the same time now. So around 2027-28 is when we'll start seeing some movement again. ND re-upping with NBC is good for now as it buys time for the ACC. Still think Clemson, FSU, UNC and maybe others are gone to the SEC or B10. So it comes down to whether the ACC can raid the B12 for an Arizona, Colorado (if they dont get a B10/SEC invite), OK St, WVU, etc. I have said before that is very likely that there wont be enough money left for networks in 2030 for the new B12 (which is basically the old Big East) to get a new deal. Everything is due: NBA, NFL, soccer, conferences, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT