ADVERTISEMENT

New media darling: Wanny

Good for Wanny, great guy just couldn't figure out the game day stuff.
He does know you need to be fast though. I really liked Wannstedt a lot actually, but that was the all-time obvious yet dumb statement in football history.

He certainly had his faults but I liked him a lot. I think many Pitt fans grossly underrated him as a coach.

I also don't think our program has yet gotten back to the point it was at on the day we fired him.
Really? When he was fired in 2010 Pitt went 7-5 with a trio of humiliating losses to Miami, wvu, and UConn.
This year, with a tougher schedule, Pitt went 8-4, and didn't look like a jv squad in any of the defeats.

Reactions: pitt-girl
He certainly had his faults but I liked him a lot. I think many Pitt fans grossly underrated him as a coach.

I also don't think our program has yet gotten back to the point it was at on the day we fired him.
I think right now under Narduzzi we have the potential to be a lot better. That's the reason Harris and Wanny were both forced out. But truth is, we haven't gotten back to the point we were when we fired either of them yet. 8 wins was becoming mediocre due to large expectations during Harris' later years and also Wanny's last year when we won 7 in the regular season. But it's looking good right now because where Narduzzi has us in year 1 is where Harris had this program at the end, and is pretty close to Wanny's ending years (although '09 was the best team in recent times.)

Still have issues with him telling recruits to look elsewhere. Pitt man????

Totally true. We had TINO SUNSERI ... winning 7 games was a freaking miracle

Reactions: bwh05
Uh, not really, especially the Virginia game.

UNC, ND and Miami????? The team was not sharp in the first 2 QTRS. in any of those games.

This 2015 PITT FB might be better than the 2010 team but not by much. This year's roster is probably not as talented as the one in 2010.

BTW, 2010 PITT played @Utah, Miami and @ND OOC---that is not a light non-conference slate.

Reactions: rc79 and bwh05
I thought with some help he would have been able to improve his hc performance.
Great recruiter!
Great Pitt guy!
Although the 09 Cinny game was hard to take.

UNC, ND and Miami????? The team was not sharp in the first 2 QTRS. in any of those games.

This 2015 PITT FB might be better than the 2010 team but not by much. This year's roster is probably not as talented as the one in 2010.

BTW, 2010 PITT played @Utah, Miami and @ND OOC---that is not a light non-conference slate.
SMF was talking about the 1st three home games, which was Youngstown State, Virginia, and North Carolina.
But even in the 3 games you listed - 2 of them against Top 10 teams - Pitt was at least competitive in those. Miami 2010, whom went 6-6 and fired their coach - not remotely so.

Iowa and Notre Dame this year > Utah, Miami, Notre Dame 2010. ACC 2015>Big East 2010.

Point is, Pitt 2015, under Narduzzi's first year, had a better record than Pitt 2010, and appears to trending upward, whereas Pitt 2010 had a coach in his 6th year and was trending downward.

Totally true. We had TINO SUNSERI ... winning 7 games was a freaking miracle

a. Who recruited Tino?
b. That team still had more talent than the rest of their conference brethren.

Not an original thought, but...Wanny is the classic example of the Peter Principle: someone who got promoted to his highest level of incompetence. He was a solid Coordinator; had he remained a Coordinator, he wouldn't be getting all of the flak that he's gotten.

But he wouldn't have gotten all of the money either.....:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT