ADVERTISEMENT

New OC candidates

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
How about Justin Fuente? Didn't he have success as an OC at TCU and then a HC coach Memphis?

I think Pitt needs to pay a good and proven OC.

Reactions: gary2
Pitt has no problem paying competitively to assistants,but his offense doesn’t work at all in the acc

Reactions: gary2
I've heard Narduzzi mention a million times that a big reason he hired Whipple was because he had been able to develop quarterbacks. Narduzzi mentioned one year at Umass they were down to their 3rd string quarterback and Whipple was able help all 3 quarterbacks.

My point is I would bet my paycheck that the new OC will have a history of developing quarterbacks, that seems like a big thing Narduzzi wants with his OC.

I've heard Narduzzi mention a million times that a big reason he hired Whipple was because he had been able to develop quarterbacks. Narduzzi mentioned one year at Umass they were down to their 3rd string quarterback and Whipple was able help all 3 quarterbacks.

My point is I would bet my paycheck that the new OC will have a history of developing quarterbacks, that seems like a big thing Narduzzi wants with his OC.
You know the first name that comes to mind when I read this? David Cutcliffe.

Has he been a successful OC before? I like what Bama does by bringing in proven commodities. We should do that.
He was the OC at LSU the year Burrow won the Heisman. That was arguably the best offense in college football history. He sucked for the Carolina Panthers, although to be fair he had some brutal QBs there.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
My big fear is does this situation severely effect our transfer portal options at QB. I’m assuming yes.

I know you think I kid but Walt Harris. Pitt is a unique school. I believe Walt would love to be back on the field. His wife Barb is all Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Panther_in_Kentucky
I like the idea of having former head coaches on staff. Mike Tomlin's best staff is when he had LeBeau, Haley, and Munchak all on staff. They were also some of his best teams as they knew how to develop talent and put them in position to succeed. I'd definitely explore former head coaches and pay them very well too. These guys want to get another top job and a year or two as an OC at a big program will get their name out their fast for a solid job rather than a small school.

Inexperienced OCs are risky but could come up with a big reward. There are a lot of young, bright offensive minds out there and just need a chance to get started. When looking a Marion along with other candidates, how would you feel about them compared to some of the other OCs Narduzzi had?

Reactions: Parkview57
I like the idea of having former head coaches on staff. Mike Tomlin's best staff is when he had LeBeau, Haley, and Munchak all on staff. They were also some of his best teams as they knew how to develop talent and put them in position to succeed. I'd definitely explore former head coaches and pay them very well too. These guys want to get another top job and a year or two as an OC at a big program will get their name out their fast for a solid job rather than a small school.

Inexperienced OCs are risky but could come up with a big reward. There are a lot of young, bright offensive minds out there and just need a chance to get started. When looking a Marion along with other candidates, how would you feel about them compared to some of the other OCs Narduzzi had?
Narduzzi has had one bad OC

Do you think Mullen is actually attainable? He seems like someone that may wait for another head coaching job to come around. Just my opinion, though.
When and where. I heard the UF reporter on him and he is the only one in the room that is the best and the brightest. Hates recruiting

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Moorhead doesn't really want to coach at Akron, right? He just misses this area and wanted to take a job closer to home (maybe).

Last edited:
Reactions: Panther_in_Kentucky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT