ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruit

If you had a choice between going into next year with Slovis & Minchey OR Jurkovac & Ty, which would you choose?

I'm not the least bit disappointed, tbh.

Slovis and Minchey 100 times out of 100. I didn't like this dude's tape at all (though I liked Beville's tape, so what do I know?).

Reactions: CJsE
Slovis and Minchey 100 times out of 100. I didn't like this dude's tape at all (though I liked Beville's tape, so what do I know?).
QBs are extremely hard to evaluate. That's why top programs just throw offers and hoard as many top rated QBs as possible until the cream rises to the top.

I'm not convinced Minchey or this kid either one would ever see the field at Pitt. And If they did, it would be a few years down the road.

Reactions: ShipofFools
Not sure how big the school is but in his film he looks huge next to the other kids. I know that’s a pretty nice area though. Been through it several times on weekend wine trips to Santa Barbara.

Lottery ticket. Good luck to him. Pretty good chance he's at a G5 or FCS in a few years though. My guess is theh percentage of "home grown" QB's will be 25% or lower within a few years.

Reactions: Las Panteras
His mobility seems like a plus and he's huge. Looks like he needs to put on 20lbs of muscle which is fine. That tape is hard to evaluate tbh without some context.

Well, you never know until you get them on campus. Gotta love the arm & mobility. He needs to add a lot of weight, but there appears to be a lot to work with. This kid also seems to have a really good attitude. Glad he's a Panther.

Is that Country Roads I hear on MNF?

Reactions: Salempanther2015
Well, you never know until you get them on campus. Gotta love the arm & mobility. He needs to add a lot of weight, but there appears to be a lot to work with. This kid also seems to have a really good attitude. Glad he's a Panther.

Is that Country Roads I hear on MNF?
Brady is unbelievablely clutch.

So bizarre they are playing that garbage song to ruin such a good moment. They must have a Hoopie running the music because nobody is singing it either.

Reactions: TD_6082
Lottery ticket. Good luck to him. Pretty good chance he's at a G5 or FCS in a few years though. My guess is theh percentage of "home grown" QB's will be 25% or lower within a few years.
Since your prediction is in, it's clear this dude will be a stud. I havent seen any tape or looked into him at all. Your prediction is all that was needed.

Haven't seen it brough up, so probably no relation; but does anyone know if it he is related to former Pitt Tennis coach George Dieffenbach and his son Miles that played OLine at UPS?

Last edited:
Surprising and nice. Welcome aboard!! 3 star 6’5 qb fell in our laps

Are we watching the same thing?

I was not excited about flipping a guy from UNLV, but Dieffenbach has height, arm strength, touch and mobility. The level of competition may not be great -- I have no idea -- but he is dropping passes right on the money to all parts of the field -- sidelines, across the middle, and downfield. I realize it's a highlight reel, but I don't see any reason to think this is a reach.

I was not excited about flipping a guy from UNLV, but Dieffenbach has height, arm strength, touch and mobility. The level of competition may not be great -- I have no idea -- but he is dropping passes right on the money to all parts of the field -- sidelines, across the middle, and downfield. I realize it's a highlight reel, but I don't see any reason to think this is a reach.

He appears to be 9,589,437,468 calories away from it mattering. I will re-evaluate at that time.

Reactions: TD_6082

I’ve looked at his tapes a couple of times and I am baffled. What constitutes a 3 Star player??? His tape is great.

Do coaches actually look at recruiting ranks when they offer scholarships?

I guess most of them take the word of some former pee wee coach that rates players.

Reactions: PittSquared
I’ve looked at his tapes a couple of times and I am baffled. What constitutes a 3 Star player??? His tape is great.

Do coaches actually look at recruiting ranks when they offer scholarships?

I guess most of them take the word of some former pee wee coach that rates players.

It's graded on a curve depending on the region, too. A GA 3 star is typically just a lot better player than a WPIAL 3 star at least if we're only evaluating talent based on offers.

Reactions: pittmeister
Welcome Ty!

Good HUDL tape from Junior and Senior years. Has some decent wheels for a tall guy and can pass while on the move. Some of the throws were bailed out by receiver on 50/50 balls, but has a lot of height to work with and has enough talent in front of him to develop in the system before getting his turn.

Same 'windup' arm motion as Byron Leftwich had in his career. Although Leftwich was criticized for it, it worked for him and his game - and heck, if he's half as successful as Leftwich, then that's great!

Great pick up IMO.

It's graded on a curve depending on the region, too. A GA 3 star is typically just a lot better player than a WPIAL 3 star at least if we're only evaluating talent based on offers.

Eh, I don't buy that. These guys are all evaluated independently. The camp circuit (i.e. when they're around other players of their ilk) has a lot to do with it. I can think of 2-stars from PA who outlasted 4-stars from Florida at Pitt.

I mean, sure - there are going to be a lot more underrated players from Florida and Georgia based on sheer volume. But look at Dane Jackson, Gavin Bartholomew, Dante Cephas, Jimmy Morrissey, Geno Stone, etc. and then look at AJ Davis, Jerry Drake, Khalil Anderson, Henry Miller, etc. There are hits and misses from everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT