ADVERTISEMENT

New roster - hope and expectation

PittMBA

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2001
Some new thoughts with a nearly (If not fully ) complete roster.

A few weeks ago I was of the opinion we might be looking at 2 or 3 ACC win team at best. Now, w the transfers and Hugley back, I’m thinking 6-8 is not crazy. Still seems at best a bottom 1/3 of the league team - w middle of the pack as a reach if things fall right.

Honestly- not having a disaster of a season , see growth from our sophomore class and a strong 2022 class would be success IMO.

For next season ( or any season for that matter) I think you need 3 top of the rotation players to be above league average and then 5 more to be solid contributors/ role players. My sense is we have a pretty good group for that 5 solid contributors - but big questions who our top 3 are.

For me, to reach near .500 in league play, our best hope is for Femi, Horton , and Hugley to emerge as a strong young core . I’ll throw in Jeffress— but he has a big leap to make to be a reliable every day scorer. If that is a our top 3 and they show as above league average players most nights I feel pretty good.

If our top 3 are a super senior and a couple of transfers , I won’t feel very good.

Feel like Horton is a bit under valued by the board - it’s not crazy to think he’ll score 10/ game and be a 37%+ 3 pt shooter. He’s still pretty young too.

A few weeks ago I was of the opinion we might be looking at 2 or 3 ACC win team at best. Now, w the transfers and Hugley back, I’m thinking 6-8 is not crazy. Still seems at best a bottom 1/3 of the league team - w middle of the pack as a reach if things fall right.

Honestly- not having a disaster of a season , see growth from our sophomore class and a strong 2022 class would be success IMO.

For next season ( or any season for that matter) I think you need 3 top of the rotation players to be above league average and then 5 more to be solid contributors/ role players. My sense is we have a pretty good group for that 5 solid contributors - but big questions who our top 3
are.

For me, to reach near .500 in league play, our best hope is for Femi, Horton , and Hugley to emerge as a strong young core . I’ll throw in Jeffress— but he has a big leap to make to be a reliable every day scorer. If that is a our top 3 and they show as above league average players most nights I feel pretty good.

If our top 3 are a super senior and a couple of transfers , I won’t feel very good.

Feel like Horton is a bit under valued by the board - it’s not crazy to think he’ll score 10/ game and be a 37%+ 3 pt shooter. He’s still pretty young too.
Horton can be that shooter. But he's got a couple things he needs to do.
Number 1 is mental toughness.
He gets way too in his own head. He gets noticeably down on himself.
His defensively lapses need to be less as well.
I think that's another toughness thing.
And he needs to develop a drive game to where he draws fouls.

Reactions: H2PisIT
6-8 would be good if we are, as you say, getting meaningful contributions from the young guys, not losing key contributors to transfer, and following it up with a good 2022 class. Winning games without a clear path for improvement to the future is less meaningful to me. A lot of ifs but I think it is possible.

Last edited:
So far, still don't see where the scoring and even rebounding are going to come from to get near 6-8.

I think it’ll be a pretty good rebounding team, to be honest. The scoring is a concern, but I think they’re gonna defend and rebound pretty well.
Yeah femi and nike are both pretty good rebounders. Obviously missing champ and Toney will be big but i do think we have enough pieces to rebound as a team

Yeah femi and nike are both pretty good rebounders. Obviously missing champ and Toney will be big but i do think we have enough pieces to rebound as a team

Yes, and we will have the size to where we should be a much better rebounding team. Size all around, even at the guard spots. should help. We are in deep trouble if this team struggles to rebound or play effective physical basketball around the rim.

Yes, and we will have the size to where we should be a much better rebounding team. Size all around, even at the guard spots. should help. We are in deep trouble if this team struggles to rebound or play effective physical basketball around the rim.
Yeah this team is much deeper than other years with way less star power if that makes any sense.

Yeah this team is much deeper than other years with way less star power if that makes any sense.
I think much less proven "star" power -- Femi with a healthy off-season knowing he is starting will have a chance to become a star this year. I think Big John will have every opportunity to have an impact on the offense -- hope he can respond and Will/Ithiel both have the ability to be stars. I think we will have a more balanced and as you said deeper team this year that may have a different star each night.

If we can get the femi, Horton, and Nike who put up a combined 62 vs Miami instead of the 27 and 26 vs. Clemson and wake, they could be decent. Rebounding will be there by a combination of guys, but we need points. Hoping santos can put pressure on Horton, and hugley can account for some of what JC will leave. But maybe a team can be more consistent than a collection of talent with one superstar.

Reactions: Drew1208

For next season ( or any season for that matter) I think you need 3 top of the rotation players to be above league average and then 5 more to be solid contributors/ role players. My sense is we have a pretty good group for that 5 solid contributors - but big questions who our top 3 are.

As a former coach at the highest high school level-I need to add my 2 cents worth. People on this board have spent a lot of time criticizing Coach Capel and his program. Let me tell you-this Pitt team that he has assembled has the potential to be in the top 1/2 of the ACC with an NCAA bid. Remember-not to belittle the knowledge of all of you posters—but,I am coming from a different perspective-and I see a very good team.

As a former coach at the highest high school level-I need to add my 2 cents worth. People on this board have spent a lot of time criticizing Coach Capel and his program. Let me tell you-this Pitt team that he has assembled has the potential to be in the top 1/2 of the ACC with an NCAA bid. Remember-not to belittle the knowledge of all of you posters—but,I am coming from a different perspective-and I see a very good team.
I feel good about the ingredients, more than a little worried about the chef. Not a current or former coach at any level.

Nike Sibande will be a helpful too!

Sure hope you are right. I don't see it, but this would be really great for sure.

Hope you’re right! I think a lot has to go right for that to happen - but certainly rooting for it to be true.

Shocking to see such a positive post on here.

I know nothing about coaching basketball, but seems to me that 3 and maybe 4 positions will be improved and one position will clearly be worse, at least offensively. So I’m guessing Pitt will be a better team. What that means in the W-L column, I haven’t a clue...

Go Pitt.

• Haha
Reactions: BPKY
I'd be elated if you were
right. However I see a team
loaded with below ACC
talent. The two with ACC
level of talent IMO are
Jeffress and Hugley. Jeffress
turns 18 this week, and
Hugley is inexperienced.
Neither were listed among
top 10 ACC frosh when
they entered. Could they
break out this year?....maybe.
Our ACC players with real
ACC talent were obviously
X, Toney, and Champ. Not
here now.

The others would at best
be backups in this league.
Femi has surprised and
maybe he can continue on
his upward trajectory.
Factor in that we hardly
ever on this board discuss
the other ACC teams and
their transfers and recruits.
Other than BC and WF they
are all better than we are
and have recruited better
year after year.

Talent trumps all. With that
said Capel hopefully can
get them to jell and over
achieve. But the "potential
to be in the top 1/2 of the
ACC with a NCAA bid".....I
can't see it. I know this
appears negative, but to
me it's realistic. Five wins
or more with this crew and
Capel should be coach of
the year.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I'd be elated if you were
right. However I see a team
loaded with below ACC
talent. The two with ACC
level of talent IMO are
Jeffress and Hugley. Jeffress
turns 18 this week, and
Hugley is inexperienced.
Neither were listed among
top 10 ACC frosh when
they entered. Could they
break out this year?....maybe.
Our ACC players with real
ACC talent were obviously
X, Toney, and Champ. Not
here now.

The others would at best
be backups in this league.
Femi has surprised and
maybe he can continue on
his upward trajectory.
Factor in that we hardly
ever on this board discuss
the other ACC teams and
their transfers and recruits.
Other than BC and WF they
are all better than we are
and have recruited better
year after year.

Talent trumps all. With that
said Capel hopefully can
get them to jell and over
achieve. But the "potential
to be in the top 1/2 of the
ACC with a NCAA bid".....I
can't see it. I know this
appears negative, but to
me it's realistic. Five wins
or more with this crew and
Capel should be coach of
the year.
Prediction: Coach Capel will never be Coach of the Year.

I really do not know where I fall with this team. There is SO much unknown. On one hand things could fall into place and the team does surprise...on the other hand, it is a season similar to the last three. This could be Capel's best team (which I know isn't saying a lot).

We will all focus on what we lost and the numbers those three players were able to accumulate. I do think circumstance and roster allowed those three to pile up some numbers...and I think (still, a lot of unknown) with more depth spread on the roster nobody needs to replace those numbers.

I do feel that Femi, Jeffress and Hugley could be a trio that brings similar production if needed. Players can take large steps forward in their production with opportunity and time to play through runs and ruts. It helps confidence knowing you are in a role to play as the man in a position without looking over your shoulder or only getting pieces of playing time. Doesn't always translate to winning plays...as we saw, but a team is going to score points and get rebounds. I do really like the potential of Odukale, Jeffress and Hugley and they did enter Pitt with potential to be better than X, Toney and JC when they were each enrolling...but...we will see.

Same with Horton...I think he will give a more consistent form of production. A year under his belt in the ACC and also more of a leader role with experience of being around the two years. He is still limited in his overall game...but, if the players around him play with a higher BB IQ, we can see his valuable 3-pt shooting in a more consistent manner.

Sibande....his experience and beginning the season right off the bat should also do wonders for his level of play. Can he find some consistency? Can he make the clutch plays with game pressure in the ACC? We do not know...but there is some potential there.

Payton, Oladipo, Santos, Gueye, Burton, Collier???? What will they bring to us? I think there is some potential and there is more depth that before...but we don't know. This could be a team that might look like a mess at times early on...but, could be MUCH better by year's end...which would be a first...and, a positive move especially if the three that step up to lead and develop into quality ACC basketball players are Odukale, Jeffress and Hugley.

I think you end up with a handful of guys in the 8-10ppg territory, including Femi, Horton, Nike, Hugley. Then you're gonna have another handful in the 5-7 range like Oladapo, Burton, Jeffress. Gueye, and Payton. If one of these don't then maybe Collier or Santos step in for 5ppg.

It's gonna be scoring by committee, getting dirty, tips, put backs. Need to win the possession battle each game because the won't be a great shooting team.

I really do not know where I fall with this team. There is SO much unknown. On one hand things could fall into place and the team does surprise...on the other hand, it is a season similar to the last three. This could be Capel's best team (which I know isn't saying a lot).

We will all focus on what we lost and the numbers those three players were able to accumulate. I do think circumstance and roster allowed those three to pile up some numbers...and I think (still, a lot of unknown) with more depth spread on the roster nobody needs to replace those numbers.

I do feel that Femi, Jeffress and Hugley could be a trio that brings similar production if needed. Players can take large steps forward in their production with opportunity and time to play through runs and ruts. It helps confidence knowing you are in a role to play as the man in a position without looking over your shoulder or only getting pieces of playing time. Doesn't always translate to winning plays...as we saw, but a team is going to score points and get rebounds. I do really like the potential of Odukale, Jeffress and Hugley and they did enter Pitt with potential to be better than X, Toney and JC when they were each enrolling...but...we will see.

Same with Horton...I think he will give a more consistent form of production. A year under his belt in the ACC and also more of a leader role with experience of being around the two years. He is still limited in his overall game...but, if the players around him play with a higher BB IQ, we can see his valuable 3-pt shooting in a more consistent manner.

Sibande....his experience and beginning the season right off the bat should also do wonders for his level of play. Can he find some consistency? Can he make the clutch plays with game pressure in the ACC? We do not know...but there is some potential there.

Payton, Oladipo, Santos, Gueye, Burton, Collier???? What will they bring to us? I think there is some potential and there is more depth that before...but we don't know. This could be a team that might look like a mess at times early on...but, could be MUCH better by year's end...which would be a first...and, a positive move especially if the three that step up to lead and develop into quality ACC basketball players are Odukale, Jeffress and Hugley.

Always great to hear from you, and as always from you, fair and wise words.

The only thing I would add, somewhat to the contrary, is that I still think William is a year away. Or in other words, he''ll have his "freshman" year THIS year. Last year was a "pre" freshman year if there was such a thing.

This being said, I think William will be markedly improved from last year, which will mean something like averaging 5-7 PPG while playing 20-25 MPG. I would expect his bigger improvement from him in year three.

Otherwise, I've already mentioned that I feel strongly about Femi and believe he'll be our leading scorer.

I simply do not know what kind of expectations to place on Big John.

I think it’ll be a pretty good rebounding team, to be honest. The scoring is a concern, but I think they’re gonna defend and rebound pretty well.

love me some games in the 50's.. our best chance at winning. Muck it all up.

After pulling the expert card on us, it's gonna be a bad look if/when you're wrong.

On paper, this is not an ACC roster--it's without question one of the weakest in the whole league.

Several of the players that a lot of posters seem to be counting on being impactful have never played at this level and did not turn many heads at the lower levels they came from.

Half of these guys have never played so much as a pickup game together. They will be playing for an unfamiliar coach.

Realistically, anything above the bottom 3 in the ACC is an accomplishment this season.

After pulling the expert card on us, it's gonna be a bad look if/when you're wrong.

On paper, this is not an ACC roster--it's without question one of the weakest in the whole league.

Several of the players that a lot of posters seem to be counting on being impactful have never played at this level and did not turn many heads at the lower levels they came from.

Half of these guys have never played so much as a pickup game together. They will be playing for an unfamiliar coach.

Realistically, anything above the bottom 3 in the ACC is an accomplishment this season.

No its not after 4 years , it's a DISASTER, nice excuse making for this staff who have failed so far.....You are one of my favorite posters hate disagreeing with you about this...

I think you end up with a handful of guys in the 8-10ppg territory, including Femi, Horton, Nike, Hugley. Then you're gonna have another handful in the 5-7 range like Oladapo, Burton, Jeffress. Gueye, and Payton. If one of these don't then maybe Collier or Santos step in for 5ppg.

It's gonna be scoring by committee, getting dirty, tips, put backs. Need to win the possession battle each game because the won't be a great shooting team.

I think we are better suited to be that kind of team than we have been for a while. Inconsistent (at best) bigs have really hampered this program more than anything else over most of the last decade.

Can you repeat the same things in all threads?

Reactions: FireballZ
I feel good about the ingredients, more than a little worried about the chef. Not a current or former coach at any level.

I feel very uneasy about the ingredients as they are mostly untested at this level. And I'm definitely more than a little worried about the chef.

It doesn't take being a former coach to see what this Pitt team is.

Reactions: gary2

If achieving anything above the bottom 3 in the ACC is an accomplishment this year, that just shows what a disastrous shape this program is in now under Capel. He should be bringing this team to at least the middle third of the ACC by now.

Yes, it's not a winless program this year. At least we hope it isn't. We just don't have the players or the coaches to be more than we have seen the past 3 years under Capel. Remember, this team doesn't win many games beyond January.

If achieving anything above the bottom 3 in the ACC is an accomplishment this year, that just shows what a disastrous shape this program is in now under Capel. He should be bringing this team to at least the middle third of the ACC by now.

Yes, it's not a winless program this year. At least we hope it isn't. We just don't have the players or the coaches to be more than we have seen the past 3 years under Capel. Remember, this team doesn't win many games beyond January.

Nailed it!

The negativity of some of you is just over the top . Should Pitt have beaten Duke , Syracuse twice or VT last season ? Let the season start and with a full preseason of practice and OOC games let’s see how this roster and coaching staff respond . If your correct you’ll have plenty of time to bitch .

I also think Pitts unspoken goal is to be a middle of the pack team . Under any coach can you really foresee Pitts program overtaking Duke , UNC , Virginia, , Louisville & FSU so at its best they’re a 6th place program fighting the likes of VT , Syracuse, ND , Miami , GT and Clemson to be in the middle of the ACC . Time to get realistic a middle of the pack team is a goal with an occasional team sneaking up into the top 5 .

Last edited:
I can see where you're
coming from. Based on
what we're seeing. the
"middle of the pack"
makes some sense. I
see that as a short
term goal for now. I'd
be disappointed if AD
Lyke and the athletic
dept. thought about the
program as "middle of
the pack." I'd also feel
the same if the Bball
team coach, whomever
it is felt the same way;
and that also goes for
the players.

We sure as hell ain't UVA,
Duke, or NC....but IMO we
oughta be striving for that
level.

'
pack makes sense. I
see "middle of the
pack" as a short term
goal.

The negativity of some of you is just over the top . Should Pitt have beaten Duke , Syracuse twice or VT last season ? Let the season start and with a full preseason of practice and OOC games let’s see how this roster and coaching staff respond . If your correct you’ll have plenty of time to bitch .

I also think Pitts unspoken goal is to be a middle of the pack team . Under any coach can you really foresee Pitts program overtaking Duke , UNC , Virginia, , Louisville & FSU so at its best the’re a 6th place program fighting the likes of VT , Syracuse, ND , Miami , GT and Clemson to be the middle of the ACC . Time to get realistic a middle of the pack team is a goal with an occasional team sneaking up into the top 5 .

Who's that you say has negativity over the top?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT