ADVERTISEMENT

Next Set of Recruits Expected on Thursday

May 21, 2010
And the list has some impressive players. Wonder how many times the Pat Signal will be on????

Zach Ortwerth
TE

6'5"

6/16/22

Undecided

Jordan Bass

S

6'3"

6/16/22

Undecided

Braeden Marshall

CB

5'10"

6/16/22

Undecided

Michael Crounse

OT

6'5"

6/16/22

Undecided

Toddrick Brewton

WDE

6'3"

6/16/22

Undecided

Montravius Lloyd

RB

6'0"

6/16/22

Undecided

Braylan Lovelace

OLB

6'2"

6/16/22

Undecided

Phillip Daniels

OT

6'5"

6/16/22

Undecided

Desmond Umeozulu

WDE

6'6"

6/16/22

Undecided

Johnathan Cline

OG

6'4"

6/16/22

Undecided

Daidren Zipperer

WR

6'0"

6/16/22

Undecided

Rasheem Biles

ATH

6'1"

6/16/22

Undecided

Tastean Reddicks

WR

6'0"

6/16/22

Undecided

Ryan Carretta

OT

6'5"

6/16/22

Undecided

Lamar Seymore

WR

6'0"

6/16/22

Miami (FL)
4/16/20
VERBAL

Reactions: DanLupiex
Michael Crounse, the OL from DeMatha, committed to BC the other day after his official visit. Assume he will cancel.

Crounse, Cline, and Brewton aren't coming. Offensive line recruiting (numbers - not quality - but I'm talking about flips/backouts/etc.) continues to be our Achilles Heel.

I also don't know if I love the fact that we are bringing in three receivers when two are already committed. I assume that's a hint as to where things are with Williams.

Crounse, Cline, and Brewton aren't coming. Offensive line recruiting (numbers - not quality - but I'm talking about flips/backouts/etc.) continues to be our Achilles Heel.

I also don't know if I love the fact that we are bringing in three receivers when two are already committed. I assume that's a hint as to where things are with Williams.
Brewton was a DL and we have bigger fish on the line.

Which players were big flips/backouts? We’ll have a better idea where OL recruiting stands at the end of June.

They aren’t going to sign 5 WR’s. They will end up taking the best 3-4.

Brewton was a DL and we have bigger fish on the line.

Which players were big flips/backouts? We’ll have a better idea where OL recruiting stands at the end of June.

They aren’t going to sign 5 WR’s. They will end up taking the best 3-4.

I know Brewton is, but two of those three are o-lineman. And I'm talking about Fugedi, Nunar, Mann, etc. It's just been a position where it has seemed like we've wanted more numbers but are falling short of that quota through no fault of our own. And then a pretty young Liam Dick transferred, also. And Brandon Honorable appeared that he wasn't on track to qualify academically, so we also had to part ways with him. And then Marco Fumar committed, but I believe we backed off. So that's 6 guys in fairly recent history, and now two of our higher priority linemen are canceling their visit.

I know they're not going to sign five receivers, but that's my point. They'll probably only sign three. The fact that we already have two in the fold and are still bringing in three guys not named Hykeem Williams makes me think they don't like where they stand with Hykeem Williams.

• Haha
Reactions: NNFAN and brad67
I don't think the WRs coming in have anything to do with Williams. Everyone, including the staff, knows we're a longshot.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned if they were banking on Williams at the expense of other prospects. Guys like Williams will always have a spot.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Where would you expect things to be with Williams?

Where would you expect things to be with Williams?

Well supposedly we're getting some sort of NIL conglomerate together, so I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I realize Texas A&M is the leader in the clubhouse, but there's no reason why we can't pony up for one big-time recruit. And that still might even happen: My point was simply that this indicates that there certainly isn't some handshake agreement in place as of today, it would appear. Not saying I necessarily expected that; it just would have been cool.

Well supposedly we're getting some sort of NIL conglomerate together, so I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I realize Texas A&M is the leader in the clubhouse, but there's no reason why we can't pony up for one big-time recruit. And that still might even happen: My point was simply that this indicates that there certainly isn't some handshake agreement in place as of today, it would appear. Not saying I necessarily expected that; it just would have been cool.
We aren’t able to keep up with Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M big money. Very few schools can.

For one player? Sure we can.
Texas A&M will always outbid us if they want a player. There’s a reason they had the #1 class. Their boosters drop millions like it’s nothing. They just did a massive upgrade to their 100k seat stadium. It cost them $450,000,000. $ is no object to them.

Texas A&M had 26 4/5 star players in last year’s recruiting class. NIL $$$$$$$$

Last edited:
Texas A&M will always outbid us if they want a player. There’s a reason they had the #1 class. Their boosters drop millions like it’s nothing. They just did a massive upgrade to their 100k seat stadium. It cost them $450,000,000. $ is no object to them.

There has to be some degree of restriction to it. Otherwise, they would just go buy the pre-season All American team every year, since tampering evidently isn't a concern. I mean, I don't think it becomes a straight auction once you hit a certain number. Like if we could "only" scrounge up 1.5M, that doesn't necessarily preclude us from landing his services if the next school offers 2.5M. If he has a better relationship with our coaches and sees us as a better fit for him, personally and/or professionally, he could still come here.

I mean, or maybe this thing is still in the early stages before it gets completely out of hand and does become a pure bidding war. I'm certainly not ruling that out. I could see a situation where it becomes the norm for recruits to go to the highest bidder and then it becomes the norm for about 500 players to enter the portal every year in a bid to auction themselves off to the highest-paying school... effectively turning college football into what we have with college basketball right now (a glorified pickup game where we switch teams every season).

There has to be some degree of restriction to it. Otherwise, they would just go buy the pre-season All American team every year, since tampering evidently isn't a concern. I mean, I don't think it becomes a straight auction once you hit a certain number. Like if we could "only" scrounge up 1.5M, that doesn't necessarily preclude us from landing his services if the next school offers 2.5M. If he has a better relationship with our coaches and sees us as a better fit for him, personally and/or professionally, he could still come here.
Texas A&M had 26 4/5 star players in last year’s recruiting class. They are treating it like an auction and buying the best team they can get.

The WR we are talking about is from FL, so that extra 1 million dollars would be a big factor in his decision. If he were a local kid or had direct ties to Pitt, then maybe you could convince him to come for a little less but that doesn’t apply here.

Last edited:
Texas A&M had 26 4/5 star players in last year’s recruiting class. They are treating it like an auction and buying the best team they can get.

The WR we are talking about is from FL, so that extra 1 million dollars will be a big factor in his decision. If he were a local kid or had direct ties to Pitt, then maybe you could convince him to come for a little less but that doesn’t apply here.

If I go through the top 100 rankings of last year, I see players who committed to:

Jackson State x2
Missouri
North Carolina x4
Kentucky x2
Arizona
Iowa
Stanford
Indiana
Wisconsin
TCU
Utah
And multiple other schools that don't have a fraction of the collectives' budget that A&M has.

So we're not at the point where it's an all-out bidding war... at least not yet. If we were, none of those schools would stand a chance at getting top 100 players over A&M, USC, Alabama, Texas, etc.

Being local helps, but it's not like he's local to Texas either. If he and his mom really like Pitt, which they appear to, there's no reason we couldn't come up with the money to land him. You could use the same logic for why Jackson State couldn't outbid A&M (among others) for the #1 player in the country last year. Their resources are only a fraction of what A&M's are, obviously, but they found a way to get it done.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a recruit today 😁

images

We’ve known all along NIL presents a new quandary for recruiting. Pitt and schools like it are going to have to become wiser in psychological profiling of recruits (and their parents/handlers), and hopefully soon enough so that undue time and energy and resources are wasted. If it’s a guy who is obvious from the start that he prioritizes absolutely nothing else but NIL money and will decide solely based on the last red cent offered, write the guy off immediately.

But for others it’s more subjective (and thus more of a challenge). Highly rated guys who are gonna want to be paid heartily (which Pitt is still going to need to arrange to do, somehow) BUT the last red cent is NOT the absolute end all, those are the ones you may have a shot at.

We’ve known all along NIL presents a new quandary for recruiting. Pitt and schools like it are going to have to become wiser in psychological profiling of recruits (and their parents/handlers), and hopefully soon enough so that undue time and energy and resources are wasted. If it’s a guy who is obvious from the start that he prioritizes absolutely nothing else but NIL money and will decide solely based on the last red cent offered, write the guy off immediately.

But for others it’s more subjective (and thus more of a challenge). Highly rated guys who are gonna want to be paid heartily (which Pitt is still going to need to arrange to do, somehow) BUT the last red cent is NOT the absolute end all, those are the ones you may have a shot at.

Agreed. Or we can target a slightly lesser tiered player and overpay (e.g. WVU and Gallagher).

Reactions: FireballZ

We are going to keep recruiting like we have been under PN. It’s been over 30 years since we had a Top 10 recruiting class. The big name programs with $$ will still be the ones landing the majority of Top 10 recruiting classes.

Agreed. Or we can target a slightly lesser tiered player and overpay (e.g. WVU and Gallagher).
Needs a weighted matrix of factors of what matter most, NIL; but also what variety of NIL (do they seek simply money, or things like lux apartments, cars etc, and will a lease do vs ownership might hold sway; if so maybe a booster can offer up leases on such things);

Then, the typical factors such as: great facilities; coaching (and not merely W-L but ability to prep and put players of his position in the league); attendance (some do seem to care); strength and conditioning; health and rehab (we should be a plus there); and finally “therapeutic massage” (call this one the Deshawn Watson factor).

These need to be kept on all guys and scored with the basis of importance but also Pitt’s ability to deliver.

If I go through the top 100 rankings of last year, I see players who committed to:

Jackson State x2
Missouri
North Carolina x4
Kentucky x2
Arizona
Iowa
Stanford
Indiana
Wisconsin
TCU
Utah
And multiple other schools that don't have a fraction of the collectives' budget that A&M has.

So we're not at the point where it's an all-out bidding war... at least not yet. If we were, none of those schools would stand a chance at getting top 100 players over A&M, USC, Alabama, Texas, etc.

Being local helps, but it's not like he's local to Texas either. If he and his mom really like Pitt, which they appear to, there's no reason we couldn't come up with the money to land him. You could use the same logic for why Jackson State couldn't outbid A&M (among others) for the #1 player in the country last year. Their resources are only a fraction of what A&M's are, obviously, but they found a way to get it done.
Yeah, but when you look at the top 50, which is where Williams is, it's not the same. It's the usual cast of characters with an occasional outlier that lands an instate or somewhat local kid.

My concerns are more than just, oh Texas A&M will buy him. His top 6 are Pitt, Miami, FL St, Georgia, Alabama, and aTm. Florida kid, so two Florida schools no shocker. Two teams who played for the CFP title last year. Texas A&M who is buying everyone, and Pitt.

I said before it was kind of interesting that Florida didn't make the cut and Pitt did. We're also getting an official visit. If we have a 20% chance that's pretty damn good, but it's still only 1 in 5.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Yeah, but when you look at the top 50, which is where Williams is, it's not the same. It's the usual cast of characters with an occasional outlier that lands an instate or somewhat local kid.

My concerns are more than just, oh Texas A&M will buy him. His top 6 are Pitt, Miami, FL St, Georgia, Alabama, and aTm. Florida kid, so two Florida schools no shocker. Two teams who played for the CFP title last year. Texas A&M who is buying everyone, and Pitt.

I said before it was kind of interesting that Florida didn't make the cut and Pitt did. We're also getting an official visit. If we have a 20% chance that's pretty damn good, but it's still only 1 in 5.

The ratio is about the same, I think.

Jackson State got the #1 and #52 guys.

Missouri got the #3 guy.

UNC #13, #20.

Kentucky #38.

Arizona #51.

Iowa #53.

And Penn State has a handful (#29, #31, #32, #55). I don't think they're doing anything too crazy yet.

I just think there's a number that can be enough, even if it's not quite as much as he'd get elsewhere. Theoretically, everybody could shop themselves around if they want to. Kancey could have got at least a million from someone this year. Tucker at Syracuse. Perry at Wake Forest. Hartman at Wake. Armstrong at UVA. That receiver at UVA. The fact that they're all returning to those schools means it can't always be about the money. I'm sure they're well aware (or were reminded by agents) of what their open market value could be.

Last edited:

That list only has 2 conference champs on it.

The ratio is about the same, I think.

Jackson State got the #1 and #52 guys.

Missouri got the #3 guy.

UNC #13, #20.

Kentucky #38.

Arizona #51.

Iowa #53.

And Penn State has a handful (#29, #31, #32, #55). I don't think they're doing anything too crazy yet.

I just think there's a number that can be enough, even if it's not quite as much as he'd get elsewhere. Theoretically, everybody could shop themselves around if they want to. Kancey could have got at least a million from someone this year. Tucker at Syracuse. Perry at Wake Forest. Hartman at Wake. Armstrong at UVA. That receiver at UVA. The fact that they're all returning to those schools means it can't always be about the money. I'm sure they're well aware (or were reminded by agents) of what their open market value could be.
I didn't look past top 50. Mizzou guy is from east St Louis (2 hour drive). UNC, one is from Greensboro and the other Lynchburg (3 hours). The UK recruit is from outside of Louisville, or 1.5 hours from Lexington. PSU recruits well, but even out of their guys, one is from PA and another from MD (which they recruit better than any other school).

ADVERTISEMENT