ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year’s Roster

Five years, but this team will have some talent. Cant wait now to see what Capel can do with this. Lets go Pitt!

I get we have to temper expectations, but I still can't get over the gravity of the situation and what caliber of player committed to Pitt today. And, we may be getting another one on Wednesday. This is enjoyable...for now!

Being able to attract talent was JC’s main selling point when hired , this was what we were waiting for .

Something has changed in what is acceptable to Pitts brass and hopefully this is the start of talented players playing for the Panthers . ( again )

I’ve been saying for awhile now it’s cheaper to get better players than firing coaches and having to pay millions in buyouts .
Now we’ll get a handle on how JC can mold and coach a team that isn’t outmanned almost every game . Interesting times ahead for the bb program .

Being able to attract talent was JC’s main selling point when hired , this was what we were waiting for .

Something has changed in what is acceptable to Pitts brass and hopefully this is the start of talented players playing for the Panthers . ( again )

I’ve been saying for awhile now it’s cheaper to get better players than firing coaches and having to pay millions in buyouts .
Now we’ll get a handle on how JC can mold and coach a team that isn’t outmanned almost every game . Interesting times ahead for the bb program .

Pitt's roster/line-up flexibility is finally good. When was the last time Pitt could go big, small, all outside shooting or defensive? The big missing part is a rim protecter.

Pitt's roster/line-up flexibility is finally good. When was the last time Pitt could go big, small, all outside shooting or defensive? The big missing part is a rim protecter.
Guillermo being seven feet with what looks like a good wingspan should help. He might not be Uber athletic, but neither was Terrell Brown and he was a very good tim protector here. And Fede’s game is more in the “athletic rim runner/rim protector” sphere than we’ve had out of any big in the last…forever. He’s just gonna struggle on the offensive end.

I think you’ve gotta hope that Hugley is able to take a step forward in his block percentage, for sure, but behind him I think you’ve got two guys who have traits that should translate to being solid rim protectors.

This is the most balanced team, and the deepest team, we have had in a long time. Maybe not as much talent at the top as that Champagnie-Toney-Johnson team, but I would argue there are definitely less glaring holes than what the team had. I'm very curious to see what the season brings. Now we just need someone to go spread leprosy in the South Side so we can keep the players out of there until November.

This is the most balanced team, and the deepest team, we have had in a long time. Maybe not as much talent at the top as that Champagnie-Toney-Johnson team, but I would argue there are definitely less glaring holes than what the team had. I'm very curious to see what the season brings. Now we just need someone to go spread leprosy in the South Side so we can keep the players out of there until November.
Hopefully this is a team not a couple of disgruntled selfish players playing with Justin .

Throw in 4 star G Curry hopefully soon and wow...

I dont know who I want more between Curry and Ty-laur Johnson because both have the potential to be studs in college, but we are right in the thick of things for both. Both have also been impressive as of late.

Carrington joining Barnes should also help with getting one of these 2. The Boo Williams connection between the Capel's and Curry is strong.

Wings (120 minutes)
Johnson 30, Cummings 25, Burton 25, Sibande 25, Elliott 15

C - Hugley 30, Federiko or a Diaz-Graham 10

PF - Hinson 28, Jeffress or a Diaz-Graham 12
I would be cautious in predicting either Sibande or Hinson playing so many minutes at this point in time. Their true health status currently remains unknown.

We don't know if Sibande is, or will be, 100% recovered from his injury. Likewise, we don't know if Hinson is 100% healthy as he is reportedly not yet medically cleared to play. He missed a season a couple of years ago due to having had an unspecified blood disorder.

For now I would predict--

Wings--Johnson 30, Cummings 30, Burton 30, McNeilly 15, Elliot 15 (Sibande minutes taken from McNielly and Elliot---if Sibande is 100%)

PF--Jeffress 20, G. Diaz-Graham 20 ( 20-25 minutes taken from these two if Hinson is 100% healthy)

C--Hugley 28, Federiko 7, J. Diaz-Graham 5

I would be cautious in predicting either Sibande or Hinson playing so many minutes at this point in time. Their true health status currently remains unknown.

We don't know if Sibande is, or will be, 100% recovered from his injury. Likewise, we don't know if Hinson is 100% healthy as he is reportedly not yet medically cleared to play. He missed a season a couple of years ago due to having had an unspecified blood disorder.

Wings--Johnson 30, Cummings 30, Burton 30, McNeilly 15, Elliot 15 (Sibande minutes taken from McNielly and Elliot---if Sibande is 100%)

PF--Jeffress 20, G. Diaz-Graham 20 ( 20-25 minutes taken from these two if Hinson is 100% healthy)

I think you are confusing the twins. G is the 4/5 and J is the 3/4. The rest is about what I expect until the health issues are resolved.

There should be enough offense this year to allow Jeffress to focus on defense and rebounding.

Here’s mine. Projecting for conference play, so I expect for the guys I don’t list to play a little more in non-conference games, blowouts (one way or another), etc.:

1 - Johnson 30, Cummings 10
2 - Cummings 20, Burton 10, Elliott 10
3 - Burton 15, Sibande 20, Elliott 5
4 - Hinson 20, Jeffress 15, J. Diaz 5
5 - Hugley 30, G. Diaz 10

So you’ve got a primary 8-9 man rotation of Johnson (30), Cummings (30), Hugley (30), Burton (25), Sibande (20), Hinson (20), Jeffress (15), Elliott (15), and G. Diaz (Hugley backup minutes). J. Diaz would be a tenth man, coming off the bench at the 4 probably when they really need shooting across the lineup to make up ground.

Don’t really see too many minutes this year for McNeilly, Santos, and Fede outside of non-conference games and when conference games are out of reach.

Reactions: Drew1208

I forgot Elliott

PG - Johnson 30

90 minutes at 2, 3, and backup PG
28 Cummings
28 Burton
20 Sibande
14 Elliott

PF - Hinson 28, Jeffress or a Diaz-Graham 12

C - Hugley 30, Federiko or a Diaz-Graham 10

Won't see regular PT
Santos
McNeilly
probably one of the Diaz-Grahams

Here’s mine. Projecting for conference play, so I expect for the guys I don’t list to play a little more in non-conference games, blowouts (one way or another), etc.:

1 - Johnson 30, Cummings 10
2 - Cummings 20, Burton 10, Elliott 10
3 - Burton 15, Sibande 20, Elliott 5
4 - Hinson 20, Jeffress 15, J. Diaz 5
5 - Hugley 30, G. Diaz 10

So you’ve got a primary 8-9 man rotation of Johnson (30), Cummings (30), Hugley (30), Burton (25), Sibande (20), Hinson (20), Jeffress (15), Elliott (15), and G. Diaz (Hugley backup minutes). J. Diaz would be a tenth man, coming off the bench at the 4 probably when they really need shooting across the lineup to make up ground.

Don’t really see too many minutes this year for McNeilly, Santos, and Fede outside of non-conference games and when conference games are out of reach.
Personally hoping by conference play that Jorge starts getting serious minutes. He just has the best upside of any of the question marks.

Reactions: pittchagg
I would force Santos or Jeffress off if an experienced 4/5 transfer became available.

I think you are confusing the twins. G is the 4/5 and J is the 3/4. The rest is about what I expect until the health issues are resolved.

There should be enough offense this year to allow Jeffress to focus on defense and rebounding.
Personal opinion only---I don't think it matters which twin plays which position. I see them as pretty much interchangeable and don't think either is really suited to being a Center (5). Both are face the basket guys at this point and best suited to be 3/4's/4/3s.

I may change my mind once I see them play this fall; but that is my opinion based on their IMG and international highlight videos. Of course, the coaching staff may, or will, work with one or both on skills needed to be able to play back to the basket.

Personal opinion only---I don't think it matters which twin plays which position. I see them as pretty much interchangeable and don't think either is really suited to being a Center (5). Both are face the basket guys at this point and best suited to be 3/4's/4/3s.

I may change my mind once I see them play this fall; but that is my opinion based on their IMG and international highlight videos. Of course, the coaching staff may, or will, work with one or both on skills needed to be able to play back to the basket.
There are a bunch of centers out there who do most of their work facing the basket. It’d be a different style of play than Hugley (more pick and pop, stuff like that), but that could be an advantage in its own right.

Reactions: Drew1208
ADVERTISEMENT