ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's defense

rpost3

Head Coach
Aug 6, 2008
So Pitt returns Blair and Price, plus this Vol transfer who sat out this year but who Narduzzi has already called a special player. That's a nasty pass rush trio. I'm sure they'll rotate but you just know Narduzzi is going to play all 3 at the same time...probably with Price playing OLB in that situation. Going to be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
So Pitt has 2 returning All ACC defensive ends (if Price gets a 6th year), plus this Vol transfer who sat out this year but who Narduzzi has already called a special player. That's a nasty pass rush trio. I'm sure they'll rotate but you just know Narduzzi is going to play all 3 at the same time...probably with Price playing OLB in that situation. Going to be fun to watch.
I Predict Just One Word For Next Years Pitt Defense Against Other Teams................PAIN!

They
I think there is a juco end that is redshirting coming aboard that the staff is high on also
They will all be coached up, bigger, stronger, and faster and many Freshmen will be in and out. I can actually see Whitehead moved to Offense, if Pitt gets the Recruits that Tweeted yesterday!

Excited for Hendrix, watching soto and Blair do absolutely nothing this year makes me think, hope, they either get a whole lot better quickly or get recruited over.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Yeah the secondary the last two games were not good and I expect we'll see some changes in the secondary.

Pghfan what do you mean Blair and Soto did nothing ? And for all you secondary needs help people. How do you get the ACC defensive (and overall player) of the year if your defensive backs suck. I'm tired of everyone putting loses on defense. maybe if we scored a few points early there may not be so much pressure on the backs or the defense.

Pghfan what do you mean Blair and Soto did nothing ? And for all you secondary needs help people. How do you get the ACC defensive (and overall player) of the year if your defensive backs suck. I'm tired of everyone putting loses on defense. maybe if we scored a few points early there may not be so much pressure on the backs or the defense.
Agreed!
We had some great long drives for TD's but we also had a lot of drives that started with poor field position due to no run back or sometimes a run back coupled with an O penalty leaving us starting from the ten or so. We also had a lot of 3 and outs from those bad starts putting a lot of pressure on the D especially the secondary.
We need to be more explosive on the run backs, stop the O penalties,3 n outs deep in our territory and watch the PITT D improve.

QB and OL with RB's returning are going to help this defense next year. I expect the offense with a year under the coaching staff will also have a much greater understanding of things. Keep in mind Pitt players, coaching and actual game day experience is now a base line for next year. So less pressure on the D.

It should be interesting to see who fills the void left in the middle of the defensive line.
Not in a place to look but who's leaving? Big man T Jarrett all 6'3" 335lbs will be back and that's pretty much the middle some to the left, some to the right of the D line. I like big guys on D like Jarrett good "Ole School" football. It's like the Bears rolling out the " The Frig."
When I travel and there's the last empty seat next to me someone like Mr. Jarrett gets on the plane last and sits in that one empty seat next to me.

Last edited:
I don't want to completely discredit their play. Let me rephrase and say, for our defense to be good, we need more production out of what Blair and Soto gave us this year. Who can do this will obviously be determined. I think it's very fair to say, neither should be given a starting position going into camp nor should either expect that a repeat performance will suffice.

How is that?

I really looked at Blair when he was an incoming freshman and thought he was nothing more than a roster spot that would be about 4th on the depth chart. He may not be great, but he has played far better than I would have ever thought he would.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT