ADVERTISEMENT

NFL might add an 8th AFC playoff team

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

They are trying to figure out what to do about the Bills/Bengals cancelation. No decision yet and I'd suspect they will wait until after the Sunday games to see where teams are and how Bills/Bengals affect playoff seeding. For seeding purposes, Bills/Bengals could potentially be huge as the Bills have a shot at the 1 and homefield vs KC in the AFC Championship. And the Bengals have a shot at the 2 and homefield in the divisonal round.

If you want to know my idea, here goes:

If Bills/Bengals affects seeding, play it next Thursday.

3 Wild Card games on Wednesday, January 18 (6 days later) 3PM, 6:15, 9:30

2 Division Round games on Tuesday, January 19 (6 days later)

AFC Championship on MNF on January 30,
(6 days later) 1 day after the NFC Championship

This would be the most "fair" way to do things and seems better than some other options such as a neutral site championship but CBS would hate this, I would think so they wont do it.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I like that the NFL is trying to think outside of the box and open to adding another team to the playoffs. Certainly makes things more interesting and more likely the Steelers make it in.

I don’t think they want to reschedule the Bills/Bengals game. And they can more than make up for lost revenues with the additional playoff teams.

I like that the NFL is trying to think outside of the box and open to adding another team to the playoffs. Certainly makes things more interesting and more likely the Steelers make it in.

I don’t think they want to reschedule the Bills/Bengals game. And they can more than make up for lost revenues with the additional playoff teams.
My, I'd hate to think the NFL might be motivated by dollars . . .

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

There's 3 things they can do

a) play the game and move the AFC playoffs back

b) dont play the game and just base it off Covid win-pct policies which would seem unfair to Buffalo since they beat KC and would have clinched #1 with 2 wins.

c) dont play the game, add an 8th team so no one gets a bye and play a neutral site championship game. However, I would think that the 2 vs 3 Cincy @ Buffalo should also be on a neutral field (Pittsburgh?) since the Bengals could have gotten the 2 with 2 wins.

Make the Bills and Bengals play a game of Dodgeball to see who gets the W.. the TV rating would likely be OK... I'd probably watch...

Reactions: ChazzMo
Scratch the bills bengals game. Have an 8 team and playoff. Afc title game played at neutral site in Detroit

There's 3 things they can do

a) play the game and move the AFC playoffs back

b) dont play the game and just base it off Covid win-pct policies which would seem unfair to Buffalo since they beat KC and would have clinched #1 with 2 wins.

c) dont play the game, add an 8th team so no one gets a bye and play a neutral site championship game. However, I would think that the 2 vs 3 Cincy @ Buffalo should also be on a neutral field (Pittsburgh?) since the Bengals could have gotten the 2 with 2 wins.
I would bet that they’d do the neutral site game in a city that’s somewhat drivable for both teams. KC vs. Buffalo in Indianapolis, Buffalo vs. Cincy in Pittsburgh or Detroit, Cincy vs. KC in Chicago, Stillers vs. Ravens in Breezewood.

The NFL has announced that the Bills - Bengals game has been canceled. There is a vote tomorrow to try to decide what comes next.

Here is the proposal they will vote on:

If Buffalo and KC both win or tie and they play in the championship game it will be at a neutral site.

If they both lose and Baltimore wins and they play in the championship game, again, neutral site.

If they both lose and Cincinnati wins a Bills, Bengals, Chiefs championship game will be at a neutral site.

If Buffalo wins and KC loses, Buffalo is the number one seed and would play the championship game at home.

If Baltimore wins and plays Cincinnati in the wild card game, home field will be determined by a coin flip.

It's basically a no contest. If it was a tie that would change the possible playoff outcomes.
Probably but since both are top of the afc it’s less impactful , was my thinking .

Have a hard time believing owners would give up a home playoff game for a neutral one .

If they play it in the right place they will still be able to sell a lot of tickets. That game that Buffalo played in Detroit in November drew 52,000 people.

A neutral site AFC Championship would sell out so there would be no financial loss. Well, the teams would probably split it 50/50 so maybe Buffalo would be mad that they wouldn't get 100% if they won 2 and played KC in Buffalo but it is what it is. Indianapolis, being a dome, and 7 hours from both KC and Buffalo is as perfect as it gets.

So does KC clinch the 1 seed and bye with a win since they'd be 14-3 while Buffalo would be 13-3 with a win over KC

There will be something wrong with the decision in someone's eyes. There just isn't a way to thread the needle and make it work for everyone so from what I'm reading, this sounds like a pretty well thought out plan. Far from perfect but definitely not dumb.

There will be something wrong with the decision in someone's eyes. There just isn't a way to thread the needle and make it work for everyone so from what I'm reading, this sounds like a pretty well thought out plan. Far from perfect but definitely not dumb.
i was talking to a ravens fan last night and he was all pissed off lol. he was saying that the division was all theirs.. i didnt say anything, he was heated.

They are trying to figure out what to do about the Bills/Bengals cancelation. No decision yet and I'd suspect they will wait until after the Sunday games to see where teams are and how Bills/Bengals affect playoff seeding. For seeding purposes, Bills/Bengals could potentially be huge as the Bills have a shot at the 1 and homefield vs KC in the AFC Championship. And the Bengals have a shot at the 2 and homefield in the divisonal round.

If you want to know my idea, here goes:

If Bills/Bengals affects seeding, play it next Thursday.

3 Wild Card games on Wednesday, January 18 (6 days later) 3PM, 6:15, 9:30

2 Division Round games on Tuesday, January 19 (6 days later)

AFC Championship on MNF on January 30,
(6 days later) 1 day after the NFC Championship

This would be the most "fair" way to do things and seems better than some other options such as a neutral site championship but CBS would hate this, I would think so they wont do it.
If you want to know my idea... a query never answered "yes" to by anyone on this forum in twenty years...

I don't know why. If they would have lost that game and then lost to the Ravens (both very possible) they could have fallen as far as sixth place. Now they're locked into third.

Agreed. I’m just enjoying hearing them whine (especially Mixon).

Reactions: pittdan77
I don't know why. If they would have lost that game and then lost to the Ravens (both very possible) they could have fallen as far as sixth place. Now they're locked into third.
Because the existing tie breaker was winning percentage
It’s a legit gripe to change rules now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT