ADVERTISEMENT

NHL/Penguins/Draft

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
You don't always have to have the #1 or #2 overall draft pick to get a high level, star player (though it certainly helps). Likely you aren't going to find them where the Pens draft this year (around 23-24). There you find a Samuel Poulin, a Joe Morrow, a Kasperi Kapanen.

But eventually the Pens are going to pick high. Look at some of the top young players not picked 1 or 2 overall:
Carolina: Seth Jarvis (who is fantastic as a 20 year old) was a 13th pick. The Rangers Bayden Schneider was a 19th pick in 2020. Anaheim's excellent and possible ROY Travis Zegras was 9th overall in 2019. By the way, of all the top 25 NHL draft picks in 2019 to yet play an NHL game, the only one is Sam Poulin (poor drafting).

In 2018, the Rangers Tok K'andre Miller at 22! In 2017 The Rangers took Filip Chytyl at 21!

We know the Pens haven't had many 1st rd or 2nd rd picks. But do you guys know the last Penguin draft pick to score a point (let alone a goal) for the Penguins? That would be Dom Simon from the 2015 draft. It's one thing to trade picks. Jim Rutherford's drafts yielded NOTHING for the Pens. While Ray Shero traded away alot of 1st rd picks, he still drafted Guentzel, Rust, Murray, Jarry, Blueger, etc....

Hextall's first draft is incomplete. But this franchise needs to start taking the draft a bit more seriously. The time is finally here.

Honestly, I couldn’t tell you any of this year’s draft prospects. In fact, I think the only two times I’m followed the draft the last ten years were in 2012 when we got a top ten (Dumoulin) from the Staal trade and in 2020 when we had a shot at Lafreniere in the draft lottery. Guess I’ll have to start paying attention!

Edit: I think that’s partially why the window is shutting now and not in another year or two. If guys like Poulin or Legare had been contributing the last year or two, I think we could have a better shot at re-signing Malkin and Letang. We could likely let other guys walk (e.g. Rust) knowing their production wouldn’t completely disappear.

You don't always have to have the #1 or #2 overall draft pick to get a high level, star player (though it certainly helps). Likely you aren't going to find them where the Pens draft this year (around 23-24). There you find a Samuel Poulin, a Joe Morrow, a Kasperi Kapanen.

But eventually the Pens are going to pick high. Look at some of the top young players not picked 1 or 2 overall:
Carolina: Seth Jarvis (who is fantastic as a 20 year old) was a 13th pick. The Rangers Bayden Schneider was a 19th pick in 2020. Anaheim's excellent and possible ROY Travis Zegras was 9th overall in 2019. By the way, of all the top 25 NHL draft picks in 2019 to yet play an NHL game, the only one is Sam Poulin (poor drafting).

In 2018, the Rangers Tok K'andre Miller at 22! In 2017 The Rangers took Filip Chytyl at 21!

We know the Pens haven't had many 1st rd or 2nd rd picks. But do you guys know the last Penguin draft pick to score a point (let alone a goal) for the Penguins? That would be Dom Simon from the 2015 draft. It's one thing to trade picks. Jim Rutherford's drafts yielded NOTHING for the Pens. While Ray Shero traded away alot of 1st rd picks, he still drafted Guentzel, Rust, Murray, Jarry, Blueger, etc....

Hextall's first draft is incomplete. But this franchise needs to start taking the draft a bit more seriously. The time is finally here.

Dom Simon? That's simply not true.

I don’t follow junior hockey so I know very little about draft prospects. Probably because the Pens haven’t drafted high enough to care. But I remember when Angelo Esposito was whispered to be a potential 1:1 and he fell to the Pens. Best thing he ever did was help them land Pascal Dupuis.

Dom Simon? That's simply not true.

It's not true, but it's close.

Kaspaer Bjorkqvist was drafted by the Pens in 2016. He played six games for the Pens this season and scored a goal against San Jose on January 2. It is his only NHL point to date.

Valtteri Puustinen was drafted by the Pens in 2019. He played one game for the Pens this season, on March 11 against Vegas. He got an assist that night.

And that's the list. Two guys, one goal, one assist.

And by the way, the only other guy the Penguins have drafted since Simon who has even played one game for the Pens is Filip Hallander, and he has played, well, one game for the Pens.

Two others that the Pens drafted have played games elsewhere. Filip Gustavsson has played 27 games in goal for Ottawa over the last two seasons and Cal Addison has played 18 games for Minnesota over the last two seasons.

I guess there's a rumor going around that Fenway group asked Hextall for his plan for the future and he refused. Then he said it's all in his head. Fenway Group finally insisted in see it written down. That's bad. Real bad

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I sure hope Rust didn't get a full no movement clause. Then again, six years at 5.2 may be worthy of a nmc. Seems like a hometown discount, but I'm no expert on these things.

It's not true, but it's close.

Kaspaer Bjorkqvist was drafted by the Pens in 2016. He played six games for the Pens this season and scored a goal against San Jose on January 2. It is his only NHL point to date.

Valtteri Puustinen was drafted by the Pens in 2019. He played one game for the Pens this season, on March 11 against Vegas. He got an assist that night.

And that's the list. Two guys, one goal, one assist.
Yikes
But giving rust an extension with a reasonable average salary helps

I guess there's a rumor going around that Fenway group asked Hextall for his plan for the future and he refused. Then he said it's all in his head. Fenway Group finally insisted in see it written down. That's bad. Real bad
Yeah, I’m subscribed to The Athletic and they reported it as fact. Seems like there may be a gap between the old school hockey boy mentality (Hextall, Burke) and the modern, analytics-heavy approach that FSG follows.

That’s honestly a pretty good deal; thought he’d get more on the open market. Now, does that mean Letang is gone? Guess we’ll see…
I think Letang is gone anyway. I don't know what his price is but I can't see the Pens giving him 5 years at 7 or 8 mil a year. I could be wrong , as usual, but I can see the Habs giving him a 4 year 28 mil deal or around that with his agent being their GM.

The fact that this deal gets done first ells me he was the priority. Letang I'd guess goes to Montreal, but he'll get a payday somewhere.

I'm guessing Malkin deal is slow walked. See what his market is. I don't see Fenway Group overpaying for past results.

Actually kind of shocked to see this get done.
I surprised as well but gladdened because Rust’s game can translate well to whatever the Penguins need to evolve into to get out of their rut. Letang would likewise be welcome in any system I think, but the signs point to him wanting to go to Montreal and for more than the Penguins would want to pay. Malkin’s negatives simply have now mostly canceled out his positives for the most part. He is a brilliant individual playmaker but that very quality personifies many of their key problems.

Hextall has sucked so far, not that he has done much. Other than the top line no one involved in the organization should feel safe, although I'd like to see them keep Sullivan.

Hextall has sucked so far, not that he has done much. Other than the top line no one involved in the organization should feel safe, although I'd like to see them keep Sullivan.
Players swear by their coach and he has had quality to work with. Yet looking at their penchant for blowing any lead in any game is telling. His philosophy is to keep scoring. That is the coach speaking on record. Past Playoff series losses are magnified but this team exemplifies poor defensive play with the lead. Odd man breaks, dumbass penalties have kept this team from really going on a dynasty type run. It’s the philosophy of style of play if you ask me. And yeah, I’m appreciative of the franchise’s accomplishments.

Reactions: Dan1911
Where franchises get in trouble is when they pay players for what they have done vs what they can do moving forward.

That said, I hated the Jeff Carter extension then (didn't get it) and I really hate it now.

I’m interested to see if they make an offer to Rakell. I thought he may be the drop in replacement on 1st line if Rust moved on. I like Rakell and he is offensively gifted. Of course, I’m biased because I have Ducks season tix so I have seen him quite a bit in Anaheim. I will admit, though, he is not Rust’s equivalent defensively. Not by a long shot.

Assuming they get Malkin and/or Letang back, I think what will make or break the next three years or so will be what level of production they can get from the WBS guys. Zohorna and O’Connor need to be able (deservedly) play more minutes and Poulin, Legare, Nylander etc. need to make the roster.

It’s how they won the Cups in 16/17, and it’ll be no different now IMO. It’d also be nice if they can fill some spots and allow that cap space to be used elsewhere.

Anyone who came in immediately following GMJR wasn't going to have an easy go.
It's possible our best player on O at WBS right now is Nylander that Hextall brought in.
I don't love Hextall or hate him,he really hasn't had a lot of wiggle room re cap and assets.

Anyone who came in immediately following GMJR wasn't going to have an easy go.
It's possible our best player on O at WBS right now is Nylander that Hextall brought in.
I don't love Hextall or hate him,he really hasn't had a lot of wiggle room re cap and assets.
You’re right. I’m hoping we don’t sign Malkin or Letang - unless they take a cut on their yearly salary. Otherwise by the time Hextall can add top six talent via the draft, the core will have become a hindrance. Take a hit this year as far as W/L, get a high draft pick and then spend the money next year on free agents. I fear we’re going to do the same thing and hope for a different outcome.

Reactions: Dan1911 and ONGB
Hey Mickey Thomas was the bomb once he Fooled Around and Fell In Love.

I think the Pens should consider moving on from their coach. He only plays wide-open hockey and doesn't seem to know how to play with a lead in the playoffs. How many leads did they blow because they couldn't lock it down in their own end? Probably an unfavorable take, but I look for a guy that can coach a disciplined, defensive team.

I wonder if anyone looking for a coach would give us anything for him?

I think the Pens should consider moving on from their coach. He only plays wide-open hockey and doesn't seem to know how to play with a lead in the playoffs. How many leads did they blow because they couldn't lock it down in their own end? Probably an unfavorable take, but I look for a guy that can coach a disciplined, defensive team.

I wonder if anyone looking for a coach would give us anything for him?
This is correct, but remember, you have a team with an all time great on it. Like it or not they need a coach who will to tailor his style to what the star (and not just any star, one of the league’s best ever) prefers to play. Guys like Crosby don’t wanna play the New Jersey Trap, even in the playoffs.

This is correct, but remember, you have a team with an all time great on it. Like it or not they need a coach who will to tailor his style to what the star (and not just any star, one of the league’s best ever) prefers to play. Guys like Crosby don’t wanna play the New Jersey Trap, even in the playoffs.
When you have a 2-3 goal lead in a playoff game....you trap. I don't care if Gretzky and Lemieux were on your team.

Reactions: Dan1911
Winning is a good thing. But Sullivan wins. Unfortunately, some bad goaltending luck and personnel decisions cost them the past two years.

On the topic of questionable personnel decisions, the signing of Carter to an extension baffles me. The only way it makes any sense - to me - is if they plan on letting Malkin go.

On the topic of questionable personnel decisions, the signing of Carter to an extension baffles me. The only way it makes any sense - to me - is if they plan on letting Malkin go.
He had a very good season - and was clearly hobbled in the playoffs
He’s a valuable dude who can play up and down the lineup when healthy - he’s relatively cheap - he wins face offs and plays on both the PK and PP

i mean - he’s far from a concern

He had a very good season - and was clearly hobbled in the playoffs
He’s a valuable dude who can play up and down the lineup when healthy - he’s relatively cheap - he wins face offs and plays on both the PK and PP

i mean - he’s far from a concern

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT