ADVERTISEMENT

NHL/Penguins/Draft

On the topic of questionable personnel decisions, the signing of Carter to an extension baffles me. The only way it makes any sense - to me - is if they plan on letting Malkin go.
He had a very good season - and was clearly hobbled in the playoffs
He’s a valuable dude who can play up and down the lineup when healthy - he’s relatively cheap - he wins face offs and plays on both the PK and PP

i mean - he’s far from a concern

Carter offered them something that was in scarce supply on this team.
A big body who was willing to go to the net and had the strength to fight for position and hold it.

He had a very good season - and was clearly hobbled in the playoffs
He’s a valuable dude who can play up and down the lineup when healthy - he’s relatively cheap - he wins face offs and plays on both the PK and PP

i mean - he’s far from a concern
He's a concern because he is going to be 38 and if you have to rely on him. I think down the stretch and playoffs he was a bit spent because he had to play significant minutes when Sid and Geno then Geno was out.

On the topic of questionable personnel decisions, the signing of Carter to an extension baffles me. The only way it makes any sense - to me - is if they plan on letting Malkin go.
I didn’t like the Carter extension for two reasons. One, they have no idea when the production is going to suddenly drop off at his age. Two, I really like Blueger and I think he can fill the 3C role moving forward. At that point, finding a capable 4C would likely be much more affordable than paying Carter.

He's not holding back anyone on the depth chart with a similar skill set/size combo that I'm aware of.
The fact he was able to bump up to Malkins slot for a few months only increases his value to me.
At this point if there is no Malkin, who else do we have that we can pencil in at a #2 C,even temporarily if we do get someone and that someone gets injured or Sid and the new #2 or Malkin has to move up a slot ?
Price out some guys his size and ability to play #2 and at least not look out of place and his contract seems more friendly imo..
No it's not ideal right now but who,right now,are our better options ?

He's not holding back anyone on the depth chart with a similar skill set/size combo that I'm aware of.
The fact he was able to bump up to Malkins slot for a few months only increases his value to me.
At this point if there is no Malkin, who else do we have that we can pencil in at a #2 C,even temporarily if we do get someone and that someone gets injured or Sid and the new #2 or Malkin has to move up a slot ?
Price out some guys his size and ability to play #2 and at least not look out of place and his contract seems more friendly imo.
I mean it’s possible he aged in dog years in the playoffs - but my money is on him playing injured because he had to- we didn’t have a replacement - I mean hell we even tried ERod at center for a game with Sid out

Reactions: ONGB
I mean it’s possible he aged in dog years in the playoffs - but my money is on him playing injured because he had to- we didn’t have a replacement - I mean hell we even tried ERod at center for a game with Sid out
Plus at the time he was signed we were pretty cap strapped and I think were still hoping to hold on to Malkin.
Whether that was realistic or not is a tale for another day but if we can roll him out for (mostly) third line minutes most nights and as a big body in front on the 2 PP where he isn't relied on to skate like crazy I think it's ok

If we don't sign Malkin I haven't done a deep delve into other #2 capable pending FA centers that might be available so late night tonight I'll have to try to dig that up.

Price out some guys his size and ability to play #2 and at least not look out of place and his contract seems more friendly imo..
No it's not ideal right now but who,right now,are our better options ?
Well one oft mentioned target is Upper St Clair's Vincent Troeschek, who would be a great #2 C.

I do have a belief that the Pens have grown stale under this "core" and someone needs to go. Obviously not Sid. And given the choice between Letang and Geno, right now I would opt for Letang. Geno is oft hurt and doesn't like structured systems so much and is no longer fast and good enough to be a freelancer.

Plus at the time he was signed we were pretty cap strapped and I think were still hoping to hold on to Malkin.
Whether that was realistic or not is a tale for another day but if we can roll him out for (mostly) third line minutes most nights and as a big body in front on the 2 PP where he isn't relied on to skate like crazy I think it's ok

If we don't sign Malkin I haven't done a deep delve into other #2 capable pending FA centers that might be available so late night tonight I'll have to try to dig that up.
Another Idea, since this is the GM thread, how about calling up old friend Jim Rutherford and see if he would trade you JT Miller for some package consisting of 2 of Kapanen, Marino, Peterson, Zucker. These are all guys he acquired and these are all expendable. JT Miller is really good obviously, local and is also on the last year of his contract. More of a chance he would resign here than with Vancouver.

Another Idea, since this is the GM thread, how about calling up old friend Jim Rutherford and see if he would trade you JT Miller for some package consisting of 2 of Kapanen, Marino, Peterson, Zucker. These are all guys he acquired and these are all expendable. JT Miller is really good obviously, local and is also on the last year of his contract. More of a chance he would resign here than with Vancouver.

He had 99 points in 80 games last year .
Not sure if 2 of those will b enough to pry him away tbh.
Kapanen-enigmatic
Marino-decent upside,took a step back last year,when Letang leaves leaves us thin on RHD capable of playing #1 PP minutes.
Petterson seemed to show minor improvement,notably jumping up on O more often.
If you can't find Zucker,while talented,may be able to find him in the trainers room as likely as on the ice.
Although we are talking Rutherford here so I suppose anything is possible.
We'd have to add a few more pieces. Millers hit is 5.2 but that,combined with Rusts extension,is going to exceed Malkin.
Will still have Letangs money left which was 7.2.

Last edited:
There is no way the Penguins should resign Malkin .
They have to get younger.
Looking at the team, who is untouchable ? Basically no one. That's not good.

The only thing about Trocheck that gives me pause is he's only scored 51 points or more in the past few years,and well under a point per game other than 20-21 playing with second line wingers that look like far better than anything we've got going right now. +/- was positive this year for the first time in a while (maybe less PP points,I don't follow the Canes closely).
His hit is 4.7 with a salary this year of 6.2.
If he gets a raise on that scoring 51 points,I'd have to give that alot of thought and see the market.
Even after pooping the bed the second half of the season that's only 8 more points than ERod had.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT