ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Patti, transfers, and 2022 QBs

Apr 26, 2012
Pitt will, and should, look to the transfer portal to bring in another QB to compete. A lot of fans think that is the answer to replace Pickett next year. But I expect Patti to be the starter next year.

Remember, Yellen was a transfer; he was a high 4-star QB, who in his lone start as a true freshman threw for 4 TDs against USC. And after being the first backup option and playing last year, he is now fourth on the QB depth chart.

Oh, and remember Max Browne, the 5-star QB grad transfer from USC?? Yeah.

So, if we get a highly ranked QB transfer, everyone will get excited again. Maybe we’ll get someone this time who can actually play at a high level. We should try at least, but I’m not holding my breath.

Regarding Patti, most of his PT so far was as a redshirt freshman in 2019. He started and won (barely) against Delaware, his first action, and then against UCF, where he played two series, throwing a key TD pass on one. Not overly impressive, but his stat line for the year was solid; 26 for 43 (61%), 3 TDs, one pick. He’s had only spot duty the past two years, mostly in mop up time.

Now, most fans seem to want to write him off; at best, a reasonable game manager, with no upside -- based on what they’ve seen so far. But I’ll argue that what we’ve seen so far is not indicative of much. I don’t know how good he will end up being, but I’ll reserve judgment until later.

If he is the starter next year, he’ll be a fifth year senior, 22 ½ years old, wiser, and more experienced -- not the 19-year old redshirt frosh we saw in 2019 who got thrown into action unexpectedly, with little preparation. He’ll get most of the first team reps in the spring and fall camp and the OC’s primary attention. He's had a couple of years learning behind Pickett, and he's always the one sitting next to and talking with Pickett on the sidelines.

Kid moves well in the pocket, has quick feet, a quick release, throws an accurate ball for the most part. Can he read defenses and find secondary receivers? I don’t know. But being ahead of Beville and Yellen on the depth chart says something about what the coaches think of him, although it could mean they just think that the other two don’t have it.

Let’s face it, our QB next year will be a drop off from this year’s version of Pickett. It’s inevitable, but I’m not putting a lot of hope into getting a transfer, nor am I dreading the idea that it will be Patti. He could actually have a good year.

Last edited:
I’ve seen several people use that game manager thing. I don’t think that works in college football.

And you’re right, nobody really knows for sure what he is. But I’m not interested in a game manager when college football is so high scoring.

Pitt will, and should, look to the transfer portal to bring in another QB to compete. A lot of fans think that is the answer to replace Pickett next year. But I expect Patti to be the starter next year.

Remember, Yellen was a transfer; he was a high 4-star QB, who in his lone start as a true freshman threw for 4 TDs against USC. And after being the first backup option and playing last year, he is now fourth on the QB depth chart.

So, if we get a highly ranked QB transfer, everyone will get excited again. Maybe we’ll get someone this time who can actually play at a high level. We should try at least, but I’m not holding my breath.

Regarding Patti, most of his PT so far was as a redshirt freshman in 2019. He started and won (barely) against Delaware, his first action, and then against UCF, where he played two series, throwing a key TD pass on one. Not overly impressive, but his stat line for the year was solid; 26 for 43 (61%), 3 TDs, one pick. He’s had only spot duty the past two years, mostly in mop up time.

Now, most fans seem to want to write him off; at best, a reasonable game manager, with no upside -- based on what they’ve seen so far. But I’ll argue that what we’ve seen so far is not indicative of much. I don’t know how good he will end up being, but I’ll reserve judgment until later.

If he is the starter next year, he’ll be a fifth year senior, 22 ½ years old, wiser, and more experienced -- not the 19-year old redshirt frosh we saw in 2019 who got thrown into action unexpectedly, with little preparation. He’ll get most of the first team reps in the spring and fall camp and the OC’s primary attention. He's had a couple of years learning behind Pickett, and he's always the one sitting next to and talking with Pickett on the sidelines.

Kid moves well in the pocket, has quick feet, throws an accurate ball for the most part. Can he read defenses and find secondary receivers? I don’t know. But being ahead of Beville and Yellen on the depth chart says something about what the coaches think of him, although it could mean they just think that the other two don’t have it.

Let’s face it, our QB next year will be a drop off from this year’s version of Pickett. It’s inevitable, but I’m not putting a lot of hope into getting a transfer, nor am I dreading the idea that it will be Patti. He could actually have a good year.
We are coming off a season of having one of the best offenses in the country. I don’t think we are going to take chances on a once highly touted kid in HS that has barely played in college this time. If that’s all that is available then yes we should just stick with what we have.

Last edited:
Well Savage and Peterman didn't work out too poorly. Aside from that, we are a much more attractive destination right now than we were when we landed Browne and Yellen.

But we don't really need to guess, here. The staff will tell us what they think of the idea of Patti and/or Beville leading the offense next season. Are they reaching out to guys who are in the transfer portal right now? The answer is yes. There's your answer.

Everyone loved DiNucci, too, because he threw a couple zingers against Northwestern. I'll trust the staff, who sees these guys in practice every day. That's not to say they can't ever be wrong, but they want to win more than any of us do. And, hypothetically, even if they do believe Patti can turn in a solid B- effort, why not go out and look for another A?

Well Savage and Peterman didn't work out too poorly. Aside from that, we are a much more attractive destination right now than we were when we landed Browne and Yellen.

But we don't really need to guess, here. The staff will tell us what they think of the idea of Patti and/or Beville leading the offense next season. Are they reaching out to guys who are in the transfer portal right now? The answer is yes. There's your answer.

Everyone loved DiNucci, too, because he threw a couple zingers against Northwestern. I'll trust the staff, who sees these guys in practice every day. That's not to say they can't ever be wrong, but they want to win more than any of us do. And, hypothetically, even if they do believe Patti can turn in a solid B- effort, why not go out and look for another A?

Lol. I must have been asleep for this part of Pitt football history. I get your overall point though. I thought Pickett looked like a potential pro early on. I’ve never thought that about Patti, but much smaller sample size. I know the play calls did him no favors against UVA, but he looked like a deer in the headlights out there. I get the talent dropoff, but for a guy viewed as the safe pick and most experienced backup, that wasn’t great. I think the real question is whether they think Beville or Yarnell are ready.

Kid moves well in the pocket, has quick feet, a quick release, throws an accurate ball for the most part. Can he read defenses and find secondary receivers? I don’t know. But being ahead of Beville and Yellen on the depth chart says something about what the coaches think of him, although it could mean they just think that the other two don’t have it.

Well, first and foremost, I think the staff need to go out and try to get one of the 2 or 3 big-time transfers who might be available. Hypothetically, if you get like a Van Dyke or Armstrong (and yes, I know they haven't transferred), you're preseason Top 10 and a CFP contendor. If they go out and get another Yellen or Max Browne, Patti will be the starter

In any event Duzz needs an answer from Whip soon ( if he doesnt already have it) in order to figure out this essential question about the QB next year especially since we have a lot of returning talent in a division that will have four new coaches and we could return to the title game if we get solid QB play in 2022.its been said that you need a few years in Whips system to perform at a high level so if thats the case can we expect a grad transfer to come in and perform immediately.Then again there is no substitute for talent and experience so i am sure the staff is hitting the portal as well.if Whip does leave does Marion get the oc and if so what type of QB does the go go offense feature. Is it pro style or dual threat which i think in this day and age you need both.

Exactly. I would hope your hypothetical is correct. I sure hope they aren't looking to the portal because they think they're screwed next year if they don't.

Pitt's QB situation is little strange. I love that those guys seem to be 100% bought in to Pitt and seem like they are probably best buds and hang out together off the field. I'm just surprised that none of them has dipped to go find PT somewhere else or at a lower level. ...As of today, we have 4 guys on roster competing for one position with the staff actively vetting the portal.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
We are coming off a season of having one of the best offenses in the country. I don’t think we are going to take chances on a once highly touted kid in HS that has barely played in college this time. If that’s all that is available then yes we should just stick with what we have.
Agree with this. I think it would be negligent if they didn't pursue proven QBs in the portal who they think can come in and play at a high level next year. I wouldn't expect any flyers unless it's a young guy they would develop like a HS recruit.

I don't think that's an indictment of anyone on the current roster either. QB is the most important position on the field, and we witnessed what great QB play can do this year. You have to do everything you can to make it your strongest position.

Reactions: gary2
I’ve seen several people use that game manager thing. I don’t think that works in college football.

And you’re right, nobody really knows for sure what he is. But I’m not interested in a game manager when college football is so high scoring.
"game manager" = most of the Big 10 QB's.

"game manager" = most of the Big 10 QB's.

Whenever I hear game manager, it always makes me think of Trent Dilfer winning the SB with the Ravens. Great OL, running game, and a completely dominant defense. We probably don't have any of those things (running game is pretty good).

Game manager type QBs require a team that can control the game and not fall behind. Get down 14 and it's game over unless your QB can make things happen.

Pitt isn’t taking a Yellen or a Browne type next year. If they take a QB transfer it’ll be someone they really want.

Reactions: 4upmc
Pitt isn’t taking a Yellen or a Browne type next year. If they take a QB transfer it’ll be someone they really want.
They didn’t want Yellen?

He has started against USC, Miami and Norte Dame. Yet everyone has written him off as a stiff.

They didn’t want Yellen?

He has started against USC, Miami and Norte Dame. Yet everyone has written him off as a stiff.
He was a high level recruit and showed a little something at ASU in his limited time. But he’s 4th string here. So that doesn’t scream promise. If you’re 4th string at Bama or tOSU maybe you’re buried to some extent. But at most places 4th string means at his stage you should be playing down at least 1 level.

The only way anyone truly knows if he’s any good is if he plays. But it shouldn’t be a mystery why a lot of people are writing him off.

Reactions: FireballZ
My take is we don't know if Patti or Bellville can play or not since neither has had much of chance with Kenny there. Whose to say one of them doesn't step up. They both know the system.

It’s gotta be Patti. It’s a complex offense that he has spent the most time with. I’d expect the play-calling to be scaled back a bit and take more advantage of the talented duo of Izzy and Rodney. Love watching those guys run the football. Of more concern to me is who they can get via transfer to fill in the O-line.

My take is we don't know if Patti or Bellville can play or not since neither has had much of chance with Kenny there. Whose to say one of them doesn't step up. They both know the system.
And Kenny was pretty average for 3 years and neither could get on the field.that should tell you all you need to know.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
This could be a good thread to look back to a year from now and say we didn't give Patti enough credit. He could come out and throw 30tds for all I know. We have the weapons and should be more 50/50 with rushing and passing next year. Addison will be open more often than not helping Patti out.

Only question in my mind is can Patti throw the deep ball. He has an odd throwing motion, but in limited play seems to have been able to get the ball where it needed to go.

And Patti runs strong. Remember when they had that goal-line package for him and he ran a few in…

I like Beville — if he keeps making progress.

Go Pitt.

They didn’t want Yellen?

Hopefully he spent the last year getting his body and especially his core a lot stronger. His overall strength wasn't anywhere where it needed to be last year.

These are the top recruits. I was wondering who is projected to transfer from another college. I know the back up at Clemson is transferring
Sorry wrong link - I meant to link this (though it is not up to date)

Miles Brennan (ex-LSU) would be a perfect fit for Whipple's offense. He isn't as athletic as KP but has the arm to put up a ton of numbers. Probably a weird fit culturally though.

Miles Brennan (ex-LSU) would be a perfect fit for Whipple's offense. He isn't as athletic as KP but has the arm to put up a ton of numbers. Probably a weird fit culturally though.
@rmf05

Miles Brennan is such a perfect fit for what Whipple wants as a QB that they sent the whole NE staff to recruit him.

This kid seems interesting. Wonder if some of the big schools will pursue him

I think you’d have a hard time finding a handful of fans or posters that loved DiNucci let alone everyone.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I think you’d have a hard time finding a handful of fans or posters that loved DiNucci let alone everyone.

I don't know much about Patti. I hear his arm strength isn't the greatest but if he's got a high football IQ and toughness, he might be great. Dinucci's biggest issue here was that he seemed to get rattled pretty easily, if my old brain is remembering correctly.

Dinuccis arm strength sucked as evident I. The northwestern game. A clear drop off from peterman in that bowl game. Also, sellers entered the portal yesterday so another ship spot.

I did not love DiNucci. I thought he was in over his head.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Dinuccis arm strength sucked as evident I. The northwestern game. A clear drop off from peterman in that bowl game. Also, sellers entered the portal yesterday so another ship spot.
His arm was bad.

what was worse is that he always cut his runs short. I don’t know how many times first done yardage was clearly there and he pulled up just short of it (but it was a lot)

I don't know much about Patti. I hear his arm strength isn't the greatest but if he's got a high football IQ and toughness, he might be great. Dinucci's biggest issue here was that he seemed to get rattled pretty easily, if my old brain is remembering correctly.
I have a positive outlook for Patti’s prospects. Although, unless you were privy to watching Pitt’s practices, I don’t know how anyone can say for sure one way or the other. The tape on him between real games and spring games isn’t real lengthy.

I have a positive outlook for Patti’s prospects. Although, unless you were privy to watching Pitt’s practices, I don’t know how anyone can say for sure one way or the other. The tape on him between real games and spring games isn’t real lengthy.
I like Patti. I base that on his one start (and a little of WMU).

In his start, Whipple made him play in a straitjacket.

When we got behind, Whipple had to take the reins off. Patti threw the ball and came through.

ADVERTISEMENT