ADVERTISEMENT

NIL - HS ATHLETES

May 6, 2017
when recruiting sites write about a HS athlete do they need consent from the athlete if the material is not free or not?

Can athletes be monetized for this?

Are athletes covered by federal NIL statutes?

Hearing some interesting stuff, rumblings, etc..

Reactions: pittdan77
when recruiting sites write about a HS athlete do they need consent from the athlete if the material is not free or not?

Can athletes be monetized for this?

Are athletes covered by federal NIL statutes?

Hearing some interesting stuff, rumblings, etc..
Would assume that if it was general news it can't be monetized. More likely a kid could say to a recruiting service, pay me or I'm not showing up at your goofy camp. Trying to imagine a kid that is going to be swimming in offers refusing to play along with a recruiting website and how they'd absolutely try to rip the kid to shreds.

i'd love to see high school recruits in football and basketball start demanding compensation to partake in these off season camps and all star games. i mean it, that would be funny to see.

players should want compensated to show up at these off season camps. even demanding pay to be on these 7 on 7 teams. For hoops, they should demand pay from these AAU teams..

High school NIL comes from the state approval. Not all states allow HS kids. Here in my state they can. My daughter has NIL deals as a high schooler and several of her friends do also.

Reactions: USN_Panther
What if you write an article, produce a video, etc. about a player whether it was an interview or not and now you charge that player to read it?

In that article/video, you get to use his name, image, and likeness but that player not only receives no compensation but he can't even have access to it.

What if you write an article, produce a video, etc. about a player whether it was an interview or not and now you charge that player to read it?

In that article/video, you get to use his name, image, and likeness but that player not only receives no compensation but he can't even have access to it.
For an article, I don't think it's much different than a newspaper that sells a subscription. Video might be different but at the same time, I can't say that for certain. Biggest thing is that if you're going to make claims, you might have to actually have more than one outside independent source. If you're writing an opinion piece based off of the camp you held, that probably cuts a little differently.

High school NIL comes from the state approval. Not all states allow HS kids. Here in my state they can. My daughter has NIL deals as a high schooler and several of her friends do also.
I'm interested in how these NIL deals are structured. Must your daughter continue to play her sport and for that school to get the money? Could she fake a pulled hamstring and opt out and keep the money? Could you move to a different area and still keep it?
Hypotheticals of course. I just wonder what is in those agreements to protect the finder's interests.

I'm interested in how these NIL deals are structured. Must your daughter continue to play her sport and for that school to get the money? Could she fake a pulled hamstring and opt out and keep the money? Could you move to a different area and still keep it?
Hypotheticals of course. I just wonder what is in those agreements to protect the finder's interests.

You would think there cant be many legal protections for the boosters. I mean what can they put in there?

"This deal is only good as long as the player a starter for Team X and is void if injured. Its NOT pay for play so there's not much that can really protect them in the case his NIL loses value. Lets say Ohio State paid $5 million for Tate Martel. As it turned out, he wasnt even an FCS, maybe not even a D2 level QB. But as long as he stayed at OSU, I dont see how they could justify not paying him if he was still willing to go make charity appearances and autograph sessions.

You would think there cant be many legal protections for the boosters. I mean what can they put in there?

"This deal is only good as long as the player a starter for Team X and is void if injured. Its NOT pay for play so there's not much that can really protect them in the case his NIL loses value. Lets say Ohio State paid $5 million for Tate Martel. As it turned out, he wasnt even an FCS, maybe not even a D2 level QB. But as long as he stayed at OSU, I dont see how they could justify not paying him if he was still willing to go make charity appearances and autograph sessions.
I know. That's why I asked someone who has seen one of these agreements.
So take a hypothetical of Caleb Williams at USC. What is stopping him from cashing the checks and opting out of the coming season to prepare for the draft. Or transferring to UCLA and keeping USCs money in addition to UCLA'S?
There has to be a termination clause right?

My daughter basically has two NIL deals at the moment. Her high school season is over but club is now in full swing. She will be playing d1 soccer in the fall.
Deal 1: local sports training center paying her a monthly amount for 5 months, she is in their ads and receives commission also. She has been training at this place for 7 years, personal coaching/skill work/weight training and speed work. Her improvements in strength and speed has been from this center, so she is the perfect rep for them. Plus she looks the part being exceptionally fit and healthy. Many players and parents have taken notice of her improvements and it has increased the centers soccer training.
She must post on Instagram twice a month. One post and one story wearing the logo while training. Basically selling the center.
This is also leading to a potentially new deal with them for something else.

Deal 2: free no slip training socks. Post wearing them in training or games. This is the newer thing for soccer players. Instead of using the regular team socks, they use the no slip socks, and wear either a matching sleeve no feet sock overtop or cut team socks. You see this on pro, college, and now younger soccer players. When you see Pitt men for example wearing a blue sock up to the knees but the ankle is white. That’s the no slip. Soccer socks traditionally suck, the feet get gross, crusty and uncomfortable.

They look very, very hot
We have had this talk with our daughter. She understands very well what is happening with the high earning female athletes. Fashion, skin, beauty, athletic ability. The UCONN girl is one of the top players in the country. She is creating a real brand based on athleticism and fashion. She markets herself clean and professionally. Which is why her deals are Gatorade, Nike, Crocs, and other good brands.
Many of the top earners near her show tons and tons of skin. Treating it differently for sure.
My kid is interested in marketing, advertising, and different media. She wants to make money in a solid profession, and hopes to play pro soccer. For now with NIL we won’t let her cross the line and compromise herself for stardom and gaining stalkers.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT