ADVERTISEMENT

Nix Kicks Maye's Butt!

What a disappointing finish to the season for Maye, Mack Brown, and the Tar Heels. After starting the season 9-1, they then lose 4 straight and do not even get to 10 wins, despite playing 14 games.
It will be interesting to see how Maye does next season in what will likely be his final year of college football. He has a lot of talent and ability. Have to see what kind of team they can put together around him. UNC seems to always bring in a lot of talent and skill.

No more Phil Longo as OC and a new OL coach, too. Have to wait and see if there are ant other staff changes in Chapel Hill.

Maye made some great throws last night. Really impressed with his accuracy and ball placement. Their first TD looked off the defender to open a window and put it right through. The pass before that, the DB had really good coverage 1-on-1. Maye put it outside shoulder with just enough room for the WR to stay in. Hit the WR in the hands but he dropped it in the endzone.

What a disappointing finish to the season for Maye, Mack Brown, and the Tar Heels. After starting the season 9-1, they then lose 4 straight and do not even get to 10 wins, despite playing 14 games.
Mac Brown needs to look no further then at himself in a mirror for who to blame for the loss to Oregon. All season long UNC's offense played in a fashion that was open and exciting, looking to score TD's over FG's whenever possible. Last night, when push came to shove early in the 4th quarter, Mac Brown allowed his butt hole to pucker up and made a poor decision. With his team leading 21-14, UNC had the ball on the Oregon 2 yard line, with 4th down. Instead of going for the TD and putting his team up by 2 TD's, he went conservative and kick a FG.
I'm sorry, but it is a meaningless freaking bowl game. It really doesn't matter if you have 8 wins versus 9, or 9 wins versus 10, Play to win. If you do not have enough confidence in your offense after playing 13 games to gain 2 yards, shame on you.
Lane Kiffin may be a douche bag at times, but I loved him approach to Mississippi's bowl game yesterday. He went for it on 4th down, regardless of the distance and place on the field, all but one time. Yes, he team lost, but as I said earlier, so what?
Kiffin is the younger energetic head coach that most schools would love to have. His decision making makes his Mississippi team exciting to watch and when a team is exciting to watch, they can recruit.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Mac Brown needs to look no further then at himself in a mirror for who to blame for the loss to Oregon. All season long UNC's offense played in a fashion that was open and exciting, looking to score TD's over FG's whenever possible. Last night, when push came to shove early in the 4th quarter, Mac Brown allowed his butt hole to pucker up and made a poor decision. With his team leading 21-14, UNC had the ball on the Oregon 2 yard line, with 4th down. Instead of going for the TD and putting his team up by 2 TD's, he went conservative and kick a FG.
I'm sorry, but it is a meaningless freaking bowl game. It really doesn't matter if you have 8 wins versus 9, or 9 wins versus 10, Play to win. If you do not have enough confidence in your offense after playing 13 games to gain 2 yards, shame on you.
Lane Kiffin may be a douche bag at times, but I loved him approach to Mississippi's bowl game yesterday. He went for it on 4th down, regardless of the distance and place on the field, all but one time. Yes, he team lost, but as I said earlier, so what?
Kiffin is the younger energetic head coach that most schools would love to have. His decision making makes his Mississippi team exciting to watch and when a team is exciting to watch, they can recruit.
Yes and they both lost. One went for it and lost, and the other didnt and lost. So I guess Kiffin wins because it was exciting? Just goes to show you. It doesnt really matter what decision a coach make sometimes, there is still another team.

have no idea what the original poster was talking about, but UNC losing by one point in the 4th quarter, with the freshman UNC have 3 tds and 0 int is pretty good for Maye

I watched the whole game and Maye played well with both his arm and his legs. He is not the reason UNC lost. Opt outs, porous defense, and coaching.

To be fair Oregon had a lot of opt outs on the defensive side as well, and they were pretty pedestrian on defense even at full strength.

Yes and they both lost. One went for it and lost, and the other didnt and lost. So I guess Kiffin wins because it was exciting? Just goes to show you. It doesnt really matter what decision a coach make sometimes, there is still another team.
These were bowl games, meaningless bowl games regardless of what the Brown and Kiffin may say publicly. These games are put together to let the teams involved play a sport they love, entertain some fans in person and on tv and have some fun.
Both UNC and Mississippi were ranked in the Top 10 during this season and got there by playing games with offense that were up tempo, exciting to watch and scored a lot of points. Kiffin's team lost because they played a bad game. Mac Brown lost because when push came to shove during a critical time of the game, he showed no confidence in his offense and kicked a FG from the Oregon 2 yard line. So yes, I'd say Kiffin won yesterday.

These were bowl games, meaningless bowl games regardless of what the Brown and Kiffin may say publicly. These games are put together to let the teams involved play a sport they love, entertain some fans in person and on tv and have some fun.
Both UNC and Mississippi were ranked in the Top 10 during this season and got there by playing games with offense that were up tempo, exciting to watch and scored a lot of points. Kiffin's team lost because they played a bad game. Mac Brown lost because when push came to shove during a critical time of the game, he showed no confidence in his offense and kicked a FG from the Oregon 2 yard line. So yes, I'd say Kiffin won yesterday.
I think the point is that a smart coach would probably be somewhere in the middle. Going for it on 4th down all the time isn't necessarily going to win, no matter how exciting it is. Nor is playing too conservatively going to win. Both UNC and Ole Miss lost, so they are both bowl losers; neither was a winner.

My brother-in-law coaches at an FCS school that lost their kicker during the season so they ended up having to go for it on pretty much every single fourth down on the plus side of the field. The season felt disappointing in many ways with several games that a field goal or two would have won but they ended up being losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT