ADVERTISEMENT

No Summer league

I wish when/if this league ever reconvenes they are able to bring the WVU kids. I think the league overall then got alot more quality.

John didn't really do anything wrong.
I'm not saying he did or didn't. All I'm saying is that Jerry D is for all intents and purposes quoting in his article what John said to him. So if you're now saying 'that's not quite what happened', then there's a disconnect somewhere in what John told Jerry or how Jerry recollected it.

I'm not saying he did or didn't. All I'm saying is that Jerry D is for all intents and purposes quoting in his article what John said to him. So if you're now saying 'that's not quite what happened', then there's a disconnect somewhere in what John told Jerry or how Jerry recollected it.
Just a complicated scenario. Too bad it couldn't get worked out.

Look for Jerry D to do a blog post to better explain what happened.

It's every other year now lol sadly :(:eek:

There was a fair amount of discussion this year whether or not to have it, but one of the reason for the decision to go forward was that if we didn't have it this year, it might never return. So everyone was all on board.

This setback was unexpected. Because of that, the thought was to go forward again next year. We'll see how it goes.

On a related note, one of the reasons I enjoy being as involved in the league as I am is getting to know the RMU guys.

There was a fair amount of discussion this year whether or not to have it, but one of the reason for the decision to go forward was that if we didn't have it this year, it might never return. So everyone was all on board.

This setback was unexpected. Because of that, the thought was to go forward again next year. We'll see how it goes.

On a related note, one of the reasons I enjoy being as involved in the league as I am is getting to know the RMU guys.

Ya RMU normally has some good players in it.

Not sure if Rodney Pryor played in it but Lucky Jones & especially Karvel Anderson had some big time skill. Anderson had some huge summer league games before.

Here's the longer explanation. Jerry D's editor made short work of the first story.

http://blog.triblive.com/college-lo...t-says-it-will-be-back-in-2018/#axzz4l3ynd481

An issue with insurance and the NCAA. if you knew the details, you would just shake your head!
I will miss hearing reports of how all the new players are doing, but maybe it is a good thing.
Maybe it is better that this team work together in a structured setting rather than play loosey goosey ball on separate teams in a summer league.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
Maybe it is better that the team work together in a structured setting than play loosey goosey ball on separate teams in a summer league.

The team will have the same amount of work with the coaches this summer whether there is a summer league or not. If the whole team were to work together with coaches anywhere near the action that would be an NCAA violation.

Now that's not to say that the players are getting anything out of the summer league than a chance to play some ball in games with referees against someone other than the people that they are usually playing against. Basically it's just a chance for guys to play more ball. But it is interesting for the fans, or at least some of us.

Reactions: levance2
The team will have the same amount of work with the coaches this summer whether there is a summer league or not. If the whole team were to work together with coaches anywhere near the action that would be an NCAA violation.

Now that's not to say that the players are getting anything out of the summer league than a chance to play some ball in games with referees against someone other than the people that they are usually playing against. Basically it's just a chance for guys to play more ball. But it is interesting for the fans, or at least some of us.
My grand daughter attends "captain's practices" for girls high school soccer. The team practices without coaches. It is a "voluntary" team practice. Maybe Pitt can do the same.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
That's garbage, no nicer word for the NcAA actions. As someone alluded above, if this was a league that Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Michigan, ND etc. participated in and wanted to happen, there would be no issue with a silly technicality. The NCAA would gleefully fellate them as it always does. And in this situation, it would actually be the right thing.

My grand daughter attends "captain's practices" for girls high school soccer. The team practices without coaches. It is a "voluntary" team practice. Maybe Pitt can do the same.

Of course the Pitt players, like the players at every other school, are going to play together this summer. Whether or not there is a summer league won't affect that. The summer league would have been a chance to play against different guys than they are going to be playing with and against all summer long, in games with officials calling actual fouls and violations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT