ADVERTISEMENT

No way Max Browne legitimately beat out Ben DaNucci.

Well, we would have tied the game, but that still wouldn't have been that a great game for Ben. DiNucci was 3-9 for 16 yards and 2 picks. Sure the stats change if that was complete, but he didn't complete another pass down field. It was all check down throws and a nice scramble. It want close to a great game.
The problem is having a 1 year QB. Hard to build a program - leadership - chemistry - that way. it is 1 thing if you have an experienced team and just need to add a QB (like Wisconsin adding Russell Wilson) but another if you are trying to grow a program.

There's a reason Browne was a top recruit. There's a reason he couldn't cut it at USC. The kid has talent, good arm, throws a good ball. He just doesn't appear to be a great leader. It was only one game and his first with the team, but he really did not appear to have control of the huddle at all. He made mental mistakes that no qb at any level could possibly make.

I still would like to see what he can do with more than 10% of the playbook, if he can air it out I think we have the receiving corps that the passing game potentially could become one of our strengths.

There's a reason Browne was a top recruit. There's a reason he couldn't cut it at USC. The kid has talent, good arm, throws a good ball. He just doesn't appear to be a great leader. It was only one game and his first with the team, but he really did not appear to have control of the huddle at all. He made mental mistakes that no qb at any level could possibly make.

I still would like to see what he can do with more than 10% of the playbook, if he can air it out I think we have the receiving corps that the passing game potentially could become one of our strengths.
Weirdly though, it was his "leadership" intangibles that were cited all summer as what put him over the top of Da Nooch in the 'competition', and why he was voted by teammates (so the coach said) as a team captain ... so either we have really putrid leadership among the other players, or they are really indifferent to the whole thing, or (hopefully most likely) he really is solid and they just really, really wanted him to be totally robotic yesterday.

Reactions: Pittx9
You people. Or is it possible that DiNucci is not a legitimate ACC QB. Just like people clamoring for Tino's backup. There was nobody else.
You continue to post this triumphantly. Even if true. ... and i don't particularly agree it is ... is this something to celebrate? It's actually a far worse indictment than Browne's play. It's not exactly something to be happy with the program about.

I'm not celebrating it, just being realistic. I would take Tino over Dinucci without even a thought. Tino was low-level 1A QB or a decent 1AA QB. There's no evidence that Dinucci is any better than Tino.

The QB race was just for the media. Even Dinucci said in a video that it wasnt a surprise when Narduzzi made the announcement because he was running mostly with the 2s. The "competition" was "Max, you're with the 1s, Ben, you're with the 2s, play hard and I'll announce the starter in a few weeks."

The problem is having a 1 year QB. Hard to build a program - leadership - chemistry - that way. it is 1 thing if you have an experienced team and just need to add a QB (like Wisconsin adding Russell Wilson) but another if you are trying to grow a program.
I think the bigger problem is not having a good QB option.

I'm not celebrating it, just being realistic. I would take Tino over Dinucci without even a thought. Tino was low-level 1A QB or a decent 1AA QB. There's no evidence that Dinucci is any better than Tino.

The QB race was just for the media. Even Dinucci said in a video that it wasnt a surprise when Narduzzi made the announcement because he was running mostly with the 2s. The "competition" was "Max, you're with the 1s, Ben, you're with the 2s, play hard and I'll announce the starter in a few weeks."
Again, the damnation belongs on such poor QB recruiting that we're even arguing about this. I definitely haven't forgotten that his only other offer was Penn and he was SUPPOSED to have been a good-PR offer by the new (at the time) coach in order to try to help sway the real prize, Jurkivec (no such luck). At the time, everyone was like "nice good-will-hunting offer".

The fact he's another crunching-hit on Browne away from full time play is an indictment on something for sure ... my vote (as always) is the pansies in the flannel suits pinching pennies and terrorizing innocent tokers ... but it shouldn't be an indictment on Da Nooch himself.

Weirdly though, it was his "leadership" intangibles that were cited all summer as what put him over the top of Da Nooch in the 'competition', and why he was voted by teammates (so the coach said) as a team captain ... so either we have really putrid leadership among the other players, or they are really indifferent to the whole thing, or (hopefully most likely) he really is solid and they just really, really wanted him to be totally robotic yesterday.
Yeah with the last thing you said, I really don't know, but with such a plain game plan and the kid knowing basically he wasn't gonna throw very much, maybe the game was shall I say boring to him. I mean watch the end of the game, Browne personally made a nice scramble to almost pick up a first when then blocking broke down. Then in ot, it looked as if the team all of a sudden said alright let's get this over with, time to get serious and win this now. It was a very strange game and hard to get a read on a lot of things. I think I'm a little worried after both our lines got dominated in the second half though.

This whole thread reminds me of the "Peterman is only starting because of Chaney" threads of a couple of years ago.

It was one game. Get a grip.
True, except Browne has 4 years of disappointment and last year's poor performance on his record, too, and has no more time for development. We will see what Browne has these next two weeks but his first performance wasn't about spending the play book, but he missed easy throws, just like he did at USC.

Peterman had 3 years of "disappointment" and got yanked for a QB no where close to the level of Darnold.

True, except Browne has 4 years of disappointment and last year's poor performance on his record, too, and has no more time for development. We will see what Browne has these next two weeks but his first performance wasn't about spending the play book, but he missed easy throws, just like he did at USC.

Peterman had 3 years of "disappointment" and got yanked for a QB no where close to the level of Darnold.
No he didn't. Browne came in with the expectation he would start at USC. It was never the same for Peterman and he played in relief in his 2nd and 3rd years in a program, not his 4th. He was never the starter at UT, but just a fill in. He wasn't really expected to be more between Worley and Dobbs. Browne was and faltered terribly before being pulled. Plus, Peterman split that first game with Voytik and was stronger against a considerably better opponent. There is a lot of season left for Browne to prove he can be a decent college quarterback, but all the evidence points to that being unlikely. That was true before this weekend and even moreso today. I don't think we have a better option (we certainly didn't against Peterman, either, even though some people thought Voytik was a good QB) but that doesn't mean the situations are as similar as that poster was making them out to be. Peterman also had another year to be in the program and improve. Browne has 11-12 more games. That is it. Unfortunately yesterday made that bowl game look like a very difficult proposition.

None! The fix was in.
Don't believe me if you don't want to, my insider source who was on the bench during the YSU game with the team says, Browne is on a short leash and only got the start because of D1 experience, he's not very good from what I hear and soon, someone else could be taking over.

What bowl game? You can't call those lower level exhibition games bowl games. We played in an EXHIBITION game. It meant nothing.
Then turn down the bid, don't go anymore unless you get NYD or the playoff. LOL, this program will never have a post season game if they look at it that way! That game was super important and they blew it, 9-4 would of looked so much better, NOBODY REMEMBERS who you played.

And what ever happened to this McVittie that people used to masturbate over?

Then turn down the bid, don't go anymore unless you get NYD or the playoff. LOL, this program will never have a post season game if they look at it that way! That game was super important and they blew it, 9-4 would of looked so much better, NOBODY REMEMBERS who you played.

Sorry, I come from a time when real bowl games meant something and there weren't 85 of them. If you went to a bowl game, you had won at least 8 or 9 games in a 10 game season. Winning 7 games and going to a bowl game..., excuse me, exhibition game, is ridiculous. It should be a reward for a great season, not for winning 6 or 7 games. Winning 8 games would be a bare minimum number of wins to qualify in my mind. Even then with a 12 game schedule, big freakin' deal!

I guess we're now in the Little League mentality. Give a trophy to everyone.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Sorry, I come from a time when real bowl games meant something and there weren't 85 of them. If you went to a bowl game, you had won at least 8 or 9 games in a 10 game season. Winning 7 games and going to a bowl game..., excuse me, exhibition game, is ridiculous. It should be a reward for a great season, not for winning 6 or 7 games. Winning 8 games would be a bare minimum number of wins to qualify in my mind. Even then with a 12 game schedule, big freakin' deal!

I guess we're now in the Little League mentality. Give a trophy to everyone.

I'm old, but not a stupid Yinzer, I change with the times and celebrate what we have now. This program sucks, having an extra game and plying it, and winning it is better than nothing. Just like in the NFL, I'd celebrate losing in the wild card round and feel better about that over not making the playoffs at all. First off, IT'S NOTHING SERIOUS it's just TV entertainment.

Agree. The main point of spring ball and summer camp is to find the QB who is less likely to bring success to you and your team. Then play him. What a ridiculous premise.
It's absolutely amazing to me that some people might actually be dumb enough to believe that kind of utter nonsense.

Don't believe me if you don't want to, my insider source who was on the bench during the YSU game with the team says, Browne is on a short leash and only got the start because of D1 experience, he's not very good from what I hear and soon, someone else could be taking over.
I'm sure the coaches will try others if Browne can't get it done. No inside info needed for that one. If he has a rough first half against PSU, I'm sure we will try someone else. The only question in my mind is whether it will be DiNucci or Pickett.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Pitt will never be the final destination for any great coach . Money matters , but at a certain point winning championships matters more . Ask yourself this question , can you realistically see Pitt competing for national championships in either FB or BB ? It's not 1976 ! Even if Pitt would've matched the offer , and we know they'd never do that , he was gone . LSU not only gives him a chance to be part of a championship team , but he'll have HC opportunities he'd never get coming from Pitt if he's successful .

If the administration wanted to compete it could , period!

If you went to a bowl game, you had won at least 8 or 9 games in a 10 game season.

Damn, you must be old. The last time Pitt played a 10 game regular season was 1970. The last time Pitt played a 10 game regular season and won at least 8 or 9 games and went to a bowl game was1956.

I'm sure the coaches will try others if Browne can't get it done. No inside info needed for that one. If he has a rough first half against PSU, I'm sure we will try someone else. The only question in my mind is whether it will be DiNucci or Pickett.
No inside info is needed I guess, but it is inside info, whether you want to believe it or not.

You tell us-you've got the inside source.
Yeah, but he doesn't know everything. He's not at all the practices or coaches meetings, but he did tweet a picture of himself standing with James Conner on the bench last Saturday, so he does hear some things.

I'm old, but not a stupid Yinzer, I change with the times and celebrate what we have now. This program sucks, having an extra game and plying it, and winning it is better than nothing. Just like in the NFL, I'd celebrate losing in the wild card round and feel better about that over not making the playoffs at all. First off, IT'S NOTHING SERIOUS it's just TV entertainment.

I'm not a stupid yinzer either. I believe in standards and real excellence, not trophies for everyone.

Damn, you must be old. The last time Pitt played a 10 game regular season was 1970. The last time Pitt played a 10 game regular season and won at least 8 or 9 games and went to a bowl game was1956.

I remember those days well. I remember 1-9 and 1-10 seasons. And you're only as old as you feel. Chronologically, I may be up in years but I still get up every morning and run 10 miles.

Tyler Palko was a better college quarterback than Joe Flacco.
Well at least that coaching staff did !
I'm sure there was no politics involved with the local kid getting the nod . Not that TP wasn't a good college qb , but there's no doubt whose the better player .

I'm not a stupid yinzer either. I believe in standards and real excellence, not trophies for everyone.

I don't care aboutany of that, to me it's just a TV show that I watch for about 3 hours, I enjoy it only if I have rooting interest too. Like I watched every minute of Pitt/YSU on the edge of my seat, then I couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of Alabama/FSU because even with the excellence, I didn't care who won so I couldn't pay attention, so I watched a DVR of the Steelers last pre season game instead, because I care about the Steelers.

Well at least that coaching staff did !
I'm sure there was no politics involved with the local kid getting the nod . Not that TP wasn't a good college qb , but there's no doubt whose the better player .
But you really couldn't bench him, based on his performance. He was a good college QB. There's no guarantee that freshman/sophomore Flacco was better than him at that time.

But you really couldn't bench him, based on his performance. He was a good college QB. There's no guarantee that freshman/sophomore Flacco was better than him at that time.
If Pitt only had the same problem every yr at the qb position they'd be a much better team .

How's your knees ?

Surprisingly good. I used to have problems with my knees before I started running about 10 years ago. Now, they seemed to have strengthened. Knock on wood, but my knees are strong. It's my lower back that bothers me. But when I run, it feels great.

I don't care aboutany of that, to me it's just a TV show that I watch for about 3 hours, I enjoy it only if I have rooting interest too. Like I watched every minute of Pitt/YSU on the edge of my seat, then I couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of Alabama/FSU because even with the excellence, I didn't care who won so I couldn't pay attention, so I watched a DVR of the Steelers last pre season game instead, because I care about the Steelers.

In a lot of ways, I agree with you. I just don't have the time to watch a bunch of games and view them as purely entertainment. I was entertained by the VT/WVU game and enjoyed watching that. But I just don't have the time any longer to sit in front of a TV and watch football games for 3+ hours. It better be Pitt and it better be entertaining if I'm going to watch it.

Again, the damnation belongs on such poor QB recruiting that we're even arguing about this. I definitely haven't forgotten that his only other offer was Penn and he was SUPPOSED to have been a good-PR offer by the new (at the time) coach in order to try to help sway the real prize, Jurkivec (no such luck). At the time, everyone was like "nice good-will-hunting offer".

The fact he's another crunching-hit on Browne away from full time play is an indictment on something for sure ... my vote (as always) is the pansies in the flannel suits pinching pennies and terrorizing innocent tokers ... but it shouldn't be an indictment on Da Nooch himself.

I agree 100 percet. DiNucci is a good kid I'm sure and would probably be pretty good QB in the Ivy League but certainly not the ACC. Thr fact that he is ahead of Macvittie is very scary.

Surprisingly good. I used to have problems with my knees before I started running about 10 years ago. Now, they seemed to have strengthened. Knock on wood, but my knees are strong. It's my lower back that bothers me. But when I run, it feels great.

Have you ever considered an inversion table?

I swear by mine. It helps with my lower and mid back, and surprisingly, it also gives me relief for the arthritis pain in my knees.

You mean the red shirt freshman McVittie?
I meant exactly what I asked-does this guy's inside source know anything about MacVittie's place in the QB pecking order or likelihood of getting any PT. Nothing more, nothing less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT