ADVERTISEMENT

North Alabama Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I would be remiss if I did not start this edition with a most enthusiastic congrats to the Football Team for a tremendous accomplishment today. Just an amazing turn around along with a giant leap forward.

** It wasn’t a tremendous accomplishment on the hardwood today. But it was noteworthy.

** I’m always one who believes in the math of Ken Pomeroy. And I wasn’t expecting a much of a challenge from a team ranked around #320 or so. But North Alabama provided such a challenge.

** But my “eye test” told me the Lions seemed much tougher than their ranking might suggest. They had some bulk and some quickness and toughness that gave our Panthers all they could handle, all afternoon long.

** So, am I concerned that this game came down to a Jared Wilson Frame block of a three point attempt to tie the game in the final seconds? Well, no.

** I was never under that belief that the previous four wins by our young Panther ballers proved anything remarkably good about them. So accordingly, this much tighter game proved nothing bad.

** In fact, just after halftime, I had the fine pleasure of speaking with @hoopsguy72 and we both agreed this young team was due for an adversarial type outing. All that was important was that they survive it. And they did.

** There were legitimate reasons why the Panthers found themselves in a halftime hole. First off, they weren’t shooting the ball very well. JWF started the game looking locked in as he’s been all year. But the shots just didn’t fall for him afterward.

** But more than that, the Panthers weren’t driving the lane with the success we’ve seen in the previous four contests. They were often thwarted by the size and strength of the Lions in the paint.

** Beyond that, I saw a bigger issue, which was that the Panthers were often looking only to drive for the potential finish instead of using the drive to create offense.

** Perhaps it was a certain kind of selfishness in their play that we haven’t seen yet. It’s the kind of play that will make for some great film room study.

** I can’t say that this issue was necessarily rectified in the second half. But with the Lions continuing to pile up fouls, and the Panthers continuing to get to the line, the drives to the lane proved to be the difference.

** That is, once again, Xavier Johnson proved to be the difference.

** Over the last few days, there’s been a whole bunch of hyperbolic speech being thrown in X’s direction. I’m never a big fan of such hype after five games, regardless of how good anyone has played.

** Truth be told, Xavier didn’t really even play a great game today. But he did play a winning game rooted in toughness and fearlessness.

** And no matter how tough North Alabama made the path to the basket, X was never intimidated. In fact, more than once he even showed some nifty ball work (behind the back), or footwork (a reverse pivot) to get the ball in the hole.

** Malik Ellison also made getting to the hole his duty. In the second half, along with Xavier, he led the Panthers to this win with his best performance yet.

** The third Panther star was young Au’Diese Toney, who battled the bulk of the Lions well, even though he too had some struggles getting to the hole against their size.

** Does Toney have an easier to spell nickname?

** Also noteworthy in this game were the parallel paths of Kene and Terrell and five. Kene continues to please, making the best of every ounce of talent he has. Not really a good game today, but a good enough one

** Terrell, on the other hand, had his roughest outing of this young season. So far, we’ve all seen some of the skills which Terrell possesses. But it’s now two coaching staffs who are trying to unlock the keys to Brown’s motor. Today, his motor was stuck in the off position.

** Based on the level of our opponents, I truly expected the Panthers to be 5-0 at this point. Overall though, I believe our young team has been more impressive in these 5 wins than I may have otherwise expected them to be.

** The freshmen are certainly better thus far than I expected them to be.

** And if we can still continue to improve over the course of the year in a similar way to the football team, conversations about this team in February and March might be much more interesting than almost anyone would have expected even just a month ago.

St. Louis won at Seton Hall today. That will be an interesting test for us. I assume we’ll get destroyed by Iowa and WVU, but St. Louis will be an opportunity for these kids as underdogs.

So far our OOC SOS is ranked #341!

** Beyond that, I saw a bigger issue, which was that the Panthers were often looking only to drive for the potential finish instead of using the drive to create offense.

This had started to become a real issue against Central Arkansas and was doubly worse today, in neither game did our assist rate break 55% which is really the objective break even point for good ball movement. I've started to develop real concerns in that department so Wednesday will be a real test for the playmaking skills of the young backcourt.

Reactions: KennyTheKangaroo
St. Louis won at Seton Hall today. That will be an interesting test for us. I assume we’ll get destroyed by Iowa and WVU, but St. Louis will be an opportunity for these kids as underdogs.

So far our OOC SOS is ranked #341!
That's why some people need to tap the brakes a little. We win no more than about 13-15 games this season.

** I would be remiss if I did not start this edition with a most enthusiastic congrats to the Football Team for a tremendous accomplishment today. Just an amazing turn around along with a giant leap forward.

** It wasn’t a tremendous accomplishment on the hardwood today. But it was noteworthy.

** I’m always one who believes in the math of Ken Pomeroy. And I wasn’t expecting a much of a challenge from a team ranked around #320 or so. But North Alabama provided such a challenge.

** But my “eye test” told me the Lions seemed much tougher than their ranking might suggest. They had some bulk and some quickness and toughness that gave our Panthers all they could handle, all afternoon long.

** So, am I concerned that this game came down to a Jared Wilson Frame block of a three point attempt to tie the game in the final seconds? Well, no.

** I was never under that belief that the previous four wins by our young Panther ballers proved anything remarkably good about them. So accordingly, this much tighter game proved nothing bad.

** In fact, just after halftime, I had the fine pleasure of speaking with @hoopsguy72 and we both agreed this young team was due for an adversarial type outing. All that was important was that they survive it. And they did.

** There were legitimate reasons why the Panthers found themselves in a halftime hole. First off, they weren’t shooting the ball very well. JWF started the game looking locked in as he’s been all year. But the shots just didn’t fall for him afterward.

** But more than that, the Panthers weren’t driving the lane with the success we’ve seen in the previous four contests. They were often thwarted by the size and strength of the Lions in the paint.

** Perhaps it was a certain kind of selfishness in their play that we haven’t seen yet. It’s the kind of play that will make for some great film room study.

** I can’t say that this issue was necessarily rectified in the second half. But with the Lions continuing to pile up fouls, and the Panthers continuing to get to the line, the drives to the lane proved to be the difference.

** Over the last few days, there’s been a whole bunch of hyperbolic speech being thrown in X’s direction. I’m never a big fan of such hype after five games, regardless of how good anyone has played.

** Truth be told, Xavier didn’t really even play a great game today. But he did play a winning game rooted in toughness and fearlessness.

** And no matter how tough North Alabama made the path to the basket, X was never intimidated. In fact, more than once he even showed some nifty ball work (behind the back), or footwork (a reverse pivot) to get the ball in the hole.

** Malik Ellison also made getting to the hole his duty. In the second half, along with Xavier, he led the Panthers to this win with his best performance yet.

** The third Panther star was young Au’Diese Toney, who battled the size of the Lions well, even though he too had some struggles getting to the hole against their size.

** Also noteworthy in this game were the parallel paths of Kene and Terrell and five. Kene continues to please, making the best of every ounce of talent he has. Not really a good game today, but a good enough one

** Terrell, on the other hand, had his roughest outing of this young season. So far, we’ve all seen some of the skills which Terrell possesses. But it’s now two coaching staffs who are trying to unlock the keys to Brown’s motor. Today, his motor was stuck in the off position.

** Based on the level of our opponents, I truly expected the Panthers to be 5-0 at this point. Overall though, I believe our young team have been more impressive in these 5 wins than I may have otherwise expected them to be.

** And if we can still continue to improve over the course of the year in a similar way to the football team, conversations about this team in February and March might be much more interesting than almost anyone would have expected even just a month ago.
If Toney becomes a lockdown defender then he's ADT

And we aren’t good-
But they compete.
Which is a distinction.

What does that even mean? The best team they've "competed" against is Troy, who is about 6 points worse than WF and about 20 points worse than WVU.

The distinction is between effort and achievement. Effort does not guarantee a close score.

Not too many people are unrealistic on here, but if you can't see that Capel has built a solid foundation then you're an idiot. No one said they are gonna be ****ing Even a tourney team.
But everyone is excited about the beginning of the program. Get back to me in 3 years...... I bet you'll still be complaining when we are in the tourney.

Reactions: Loman909
I love the hire, but there's no reason to set unrealistic expectations. This is not a good team this year, even if we have several promising players.

That's the thing about this board. We do have a coach and team that are energetic, have passion for the game, and I think we'll be more competitive than we were at any time in the past 2 years. But just about anything we do will be more competitive than the last 2 years, including just showing up. We'll scare some teams while losing our share of games and we'll win a few. And we have a group of very promising freshmen. But they're freshmen and still need to learn a lot. When we see them play against even the mid-tier ACC teams, we'll see the difference. There are missing pieces and little to no experience.

I think a realistic expectation for total wins this year is around 13, and ACC wins maybe 3 or 4, at most. But that's progress. No need to set unrealistic expectations for a first year coach and a bunch of freshmen.

Not too many people are unrealistic on here, but if you can't see that Capel has built a solid foundation then you're an idiot. No one said they are gonna be ****ing Even a tourney team.
But everyone is excited about the beginning of the program. Get back to me in 3 years...... I bet you'll still be complaining when we are in the tourney.
I agree nobody said tourney, but they have said NIT. I'd say NIT is next year.

What does that even mean? The best team they've "competed" against is Troy, who is about 6 points worse than WF and about 20 points worse than WVU.

The distinction is between effort and achievement. Effort does not guarantee a close score.
So-
Again, you are taking umbrage with his notion that we will keep it close?

It’s a strange thing to argue .. particularly while not giving your own opinions.

You’re being salty for no reason

Reactions: Drew1208
I agree nobody said tourney, but they have said NIT. I'd say NIT is next year.

Maybe next year. I still see this being 2 years of rebuilding the mess that Stallings left behind, then in Capel's third year we will either be in the NCAAT or at worst, in the NIT. This team and coach have a lot of work to do.

Reactions: rockypanther

** The third Panther star was young Au’Diese Toney, who battled the bulk of the Lions well, even though he too had some struggles getting to the hole against their size.

** Based on the level of our opponents, I truly expected the Panthers to be 5-0 at this point. Overall though, I believe our young team has been more impressive in these 5 wins than I may have otherwise expected them to be.

I feel your descriptions of Kene and Brown were right on. One thing that
hasn't been mentioned is that Kene IMO is a more natural forward and
he has to play inside in the 4-1. He has more of a floor game, and isn't
the type to post up or establish that all important inside presence. He's
hustling and working hard and doing a very good job, but he simply
isn't a strong rebounder or rim defender. However Capel has done
a great job with him so far.
Brown....a total enigma IMO. Your description of his "motor being stuck
in the off position" unfortunately is so true. He, unlike Kene has no floor
game, and should instead be that inside presence that we need. In fact
ALL teams need that inside presence. He's our only hope on the inside
this year, and I'm hoping these coaches get his "motor" into the
drive position at some point.
I like the slashing and taking it to the hoop by our guards and wings.
but so far even though they're freshmen plus Ellison....I'm afraid it'll
be doubly tough against ACC teams. IMO, freshmen or not, they've
been more talented then what they've seen so far. That's gonna come
to a halt with WVU and especially Iowa IMO.

Yep we need Brown to get that “motor” on real fast. Kene has a “motor” and I love his hustle but for this team to overachieve we really need Brown to play up to his potential. He has legit size and has some ability down low.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I am not sure what we can do to improve our assists and offense. We only have JWF who can get a kick out pass and shoot pretty effectively from outside. We have zero inside options as our big guys can't post up or really do anything.

North Alabama shot lights out. made a bunch of long/tough threes. Pitt will have some tough games, where we get killed, but I think they will also have some surprise games where they compete well and win some unexpected games.

Reactions: Haydman
Lights out? They shot 61.5% on ones, 48.3% on twos and 32.3% on threes. Not only are none of those three "lights out", all three of them are actually below D1 average.
Ok. They hit some tough bad shots from very deep. I guess they shot some air balls too ::)

Well 32.3% on 3s sure looks great on TV compared to our 18.2% on 3s. So, it was easy to get the impression they shot lights out on 3s.

A few more threes made (3 or 4) by JWF and others would have put an entirely different perspective on this game both optically and on the scoreboard (15-18 point win).

ADVERTISEMENT