ADVERTISEMENT

Not Much Happening on the Football Front Just be Happy You Weren't on This Flight

BuffetParrothead

Heisman Winner
Nov 22, 2015
https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/02/...ds-bradford-airport-forcing-ba-plan-to-abort/

I'm so glad I don't have to travel globally on business and face some of this stuff.
I've landed in Helsinki Finland in heavy snow, windstorms in Thailand, dense fog in the UK and Ireland, monsoon rains in Brazil and a landing like this happened at Newark Airport NJ on the return flight from Birmingham UK but the Delta pilot somehow stuck the landing and didn't have to do it again.

The bad news about being on a flight that aborts a windy landing and has to "go around" is that the crew has to do it all over again, in the same windy conditions with less fuel which is usually low at the end of most flights and like anything else I doubt the confidence level is real high???

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Years ago I landed in a March coastal snowstorm at Newark, NJ. after a runway was plowed when New York, JFK was closed. Roughest approach and landing I have ever experienced. Pilot apologized after landing but said it was either land now or divert to Toronto.

I was on a flight from Pittsburgh to Toronto once and the plane was struck by lightning. We had to do an emergency landing in Buffalo. That was a very scary flight. The plane was so shaken by the impact that a woman badly injured her head.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I was on a Pan Am (yes I am old) flight taking off from JFK en route to Los Angeles when a motor failed at lift off. We did a 270 degree turn and skidded off the end of the runway down a slope into the tall grass. About 50 yards farther was the Atlantic Ocean. There were a few scrapes and bruises, one broken nose, but no serious injuries. They took us in buses back to the Terminal and told us we could either take a later flight, change airlines, or stay at a hotel at Pan Am’s expense and fly Pan Am the next day. I chose the third option, figuring the odds of that happening two days in a row were pretty slim. I thought I had handled it pretty well until I checked into the hotel room and started shaking, which lasted almost two hours.

In 2004, I was flying from LAX to Barcelona via JFK. I was using points to fly Business Class for the first time. I remember thinking after about two hours how smooth the flight was going. Within seconds, the pilot announced that they were cutting all non-essential power because some passengers in the economy section had smelled smoke. Ten minutes later they announced we would be making an unscheduled landing in Denver as a ”precaution.” I wasnt worried until I saw the actual runway which was covered in foam and must have had 50 fire trucks lining it. But the landing was pretty smooth. They did tell us to get our carryon luggage as quickly as we could and we exited out the emergency exits. Only time I slid down an emergency exit.

They put us on a later flight to Atlanta because they had no flights going to New York from Denver. They told us they would fly us to New York the next morning and put us on the same flights one day late. When we showed up the next morning, not one of the 21 passengers going to Europe had luggage. It had been lost and they had no idea where it was. I normally carry essential items like prescriptions in my carryon. But since I wasn’t scheduled to change planes on this flight I had packed them in my suitcase. So I flew back to LA. (They didn’t find the luggage for two weeks. It was in a truck on the tarmac in Denver. There wasn’t room for all of the luggage on the first flight to Atlanta, so the baggage handling foreman decided not to put any of the European passenger luggage on until the later flight. He reasoned we would have it the next morning when we flew to Europe. A good plan — if he had bothered to tell his replacement when the shift changed. He didn’t. So the luggage sat in a truck that night and for 13 more nights before someone bothered to check it.

At the time, I thought that was God’s message to me that I was not destined to ever see Barcelona. But, I went for 3 months in 2013, for 2 months in 2014, for just one day in 2015, for a month in 2016 and for another month last year. It took awhile for me to get there, but I quickly realized during my first visit that for me it is the greatest city in the world.

I was on a flight sitting next to an Air Force pilot who was going home on leave.
We were both quietly reading stuff and he turned to me an said "they just shut down an engine."
I said what. He said didn't you feel the aircraft slow and drop some altitude, he turned to me a few minutes later and said they just shutdown another engine, this time I noticed.
The pilot came on the intercom and let us know about the engine shutdowns and said the plane will be fine flying and landing with two engines.

Luckily were were on a 747 with four engines.

The Air Force guy next to me turned to me again and very calmly said it'll fly fine on two engines unless the mechanic that worked on the two shutdown engines worked on the other two?????????????? He returned to reading something. I checked and it wasn't a bible.

The Air Force guy explained to me that the 747's ( 4 engines), 727's ( 3 engines), and the 2 engine jets ( 737's & MD88's), and new generation aircraft are designed to fly on 1 engine but who wants to get to that point at 30k feet.

If you like to listen to tower, approach or ground airport to aircraft communication this is the way to do it.
https://www.liveatc.net/

I got hooked on this when back in the 90's traveling on United Business or First Class they had a channel # 1 on the in flight radio which was tower communications that you could listen to.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilspainishflea
An airline pilot friend of mine is fond of the saying that it is much better to be on the ground worrying about getting up in the air than being in the air worrying about getting on the ground. I was on flight that lost power in one engine. Cleared the air port runway and had fire trucks,first responders and ambulances lined up on the ground. Very nerve wracking. But all was well.

Reactions: DrPittfan163
I was on a flight sitting next to an Air Force pilot who was going home on leave.
We were both quietly reading stuff and he turned to me an said "they just shut down an engine."
I said what. He said didn't you feel the aircraft slow and drop some altitude, he turned to me a few minutes later and said they just shutdown another engine, this time I noticed.
The pilot came on the intercom and let us know about the engine shutdowns and said the plane will be fine flying and landing with two engines.

Luckily were were on a 747 with four engines.

The Air Force guy next to me turned to me again and very calmly said it'll fly fine on two engines unless the mechanic that worked on the two shutdown engines worked on the other two?????????????? He returned to reading something. I checked and it wasn't a bible.

The Air Force guy explained to me that the 747's ( 4 engines), 727's ( 3 engines), and the 2 engine jets ( 737's & MD88's), and new generation aircraft are designed to fly on 1 engine but who wants to get to that point at 30k feet.

If you like to listen to tower, approach or ground airport to aircraft communication this is the way to do it.
https://www.liveatc.net/

I got hooked on this when back in the 90's traveling on United Business or First Class they had a channel # 1 on the in flight radio which was tower communications that you could listen to.

Flying at 30,000 feet on 1 engine is pretty easy. A major commercial aircraft has a ton of natural lift and can glide completely unpowered for about 100 to 150 miles. Add in a single engine and you can probably get it over 200 miles or more. Now that's not great news over an ocean, but as long as you're flying over the USA you should be able to find a runway within 200 miles. Might be a bumpy landing but everyone will probably be ok.

Flying at 30,000 feet on 1 engine is pretty easy. A major commercial aircraft has a ton of natural lift and can glide completely unpowered for about 100 to 150 miles. Add in a single engine and you can probably get it over 200 miles or more. Now that's not great news over an ocean, but as long as you're flying over the USA you should be able to find a runway within 200 miles. Might be a bumpy landing but everyone will probably be ok.

When I used to go on International trips I would watch the flight path on the GPS monitor.
I noticed most airlines stay in "touch" with land masses until they have to fly over open ocean.
But flights to Asia cross massive bodies of water so I always hoped things would hang together until we got close to land somewhere, anywhere.
If anyone has flown SAS to Copenhagen, Sweden, or Finland from Newark NJ they would fly the polar route and would mention the polar suit stored under your seat in the event of an emergency landing where you'll be lunch or dinner for some polar bears if you survive.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

When I used to go on International trips I would watch the flight path on the GPS monitor.
I noticed most airlines stay in "touch" with land masses until they have to fly over open ocean.
But flights to Asia cross massive bodies of water so I always hoped things would hang together until we got close to land somewhere, anywhere.
If anyone has flown SAS to Copenhagen, Sweden, or Finland from Newark NJ they would fly the polar route and would mention the polar suit stored under your seat in the event of an emergency landing where you'll be lunch or dinner for some polar bears if you survive.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Flying to Australia and going the entire way over the Pacific is a terrifying and lonely feeling. It kind of made me feel like I was on a boat in the 1600s or something where if a bad event occurred to your transportation, you were just doomed and there was no help coming.

Flying to Australia and going the entire way over the Pacific is a terrifying and lonely feeling. It kind of made me feel like I was on a boat in the 1600s or something where if a bad event occurred to your transportation, you were just doomed and there was no help coming.

That's one trip I never had to make. Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand were far enough for me. Glad I never have to do that again unless I want to. During business trips I flew business or first class now I'd fly coach so those trips aren't on the list.
Poon-lim2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lilspainishflea
There are a few good youtube channels (TheFlightChannel, Allec Ibay) that use flight simulators to meticulously recreate well-known aviation accidents with cvr transcripts included. Kind of morbid but fascinating at the same time. It certainly doesn't make me feel any better about flying!

There are a few good youtube channels (TheFlightChannel, Allec Ibay) that use flight simulators to meticulously recreate well-known aviation accidents with cvr transcripts included. Kind of morbid but fascinating at the same time. It certainly doesn't make me feel any better about flying!

There's a great book out there titled Destination Disaster, its old, but very interesting as it chronicles major air disasters with an amazing amount of detail including radio transmissions between the aircraft and air traffic controllers leading up to the disaster.

The saddest one was Japan Air 123. An incorrect repair led to the entire vertical stabilizer being torn off in-flight. I also think the hydrolics were cut, so the plane was extremely difficult to control. Pilots performed thrust differentiation to keep the aircraft from rolling. The crew somehow kept the plane aloft for nearly 40 minutes while trying to return for an emergency landing. I may be mistaken, but I don't think anyone has been able to top the crew's performance in a simulation. They were heroes.

The saddest one was Japan Air 123. An incorrect repair led to the entire vertical stabilizer being torn off in-flight. I also think the hydrolics were cut, so the plane was extremely difficult to control. Pilots performed thrust differentiation to keep the aircraft from rolling. The crew somehow kept the plane aloft for nearly 40 minutes while trying to return for an emergency landing. I may be mistaken, but I don't think anyone has been able to top the crew's performance in a simulation. They were heroes.

Yup. I think a few people survived the crash. Many survived the initial impact but died on the mountainside overnight waiting for rescuers to arrive.

My wife and I are flying to Bali in late April. Almost 24 hours from Los Angeles, with a stop in Singapore, and almost entirely over water.

Hopefully, by then I will forget all about this thread:eek::eek::eek:

Singapore-to-New York Route Will Be World's Longest Commercial Flight
June 1, 2018
By
Syjil Ashraf
Editor

18:45 minutes each way and I believe it's flight 21 out & 22 return.
I went to Singapore twice on Singapore Air on business after stopping in Japan. It's a long day but I was lucky to be in business class. I think with the stop it took 20 something hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT