ADVERTISEMENT

Noticing some things from the videos of the team:

whirlybird optio

Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
1) Parker Stewart looks really good shooting open jumpers, how that will translate, who knows.

2) Part of the reason I have no idea how that will translate is that Stewart/Luther/Frame shooting perimeter jumpers is so obviously going to be our main offense that teams are gonna sell out defending us on the perimeter.

3) Samson George looks the same height, if not shorter, than Malik Ellison. That's a real problem when you recruit a 6-4 Iona recruit to play inside in this league. When Stallings is saying he will play 4 bigs only, and no one mentions Samson, warning signs there.

4) Given the real trouble we are going to have scoring, I guess Kham Davis will have a role.

5) Feels like a 10 man rotation to start the year with George and Peace not in the rotation. Peace makes sense as a RS candidate.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and cabe23
1) Parker Stewart looks really good shooting open jumpers, how that will translate, who knows.

2) Part of the reason I have no idea how that will translate is that Stewart/Luther/Frame shooting perimeter jumpers is so obviously going to be our main offense that teams are gonna sell out defending us on the perimeter.

3) Samson George looks the same height, if not shorter, than Malik Ellison. That's a real problem when you recruit a 6-4 Iona recruit to play inside in this league. When Stallings is saying he will play 4 bigs only, and no one mentions Samson, warning signs there.

4) Given the real trouble we are going to have scoring, I guess Kham Davis will have a role.

5) Feels like a 10 man rotation to start the year with George and Peace not in the rotation. Peace makes sense as a RS candidate.

Disappointing (though not particularly surprising) with George, the whole thing with taking him was that he would be able to contribute in the post right away.

At least 2 players (maybe more) will be "encouraged" to transfer so George may be one of those. There's no way you are retaining all those newcomers even in the best of circumstances.

George is the exact same height as Chris Jones.

Why worry about one recruit ? Should he have left one spot open ? Seems like doing that last yr went over real well with a lot you ! If he can play at this level great if he can't he'll move on just like all the others .

Reactions: gary2
We could wait to see if Samson gets on the court, and if so, how he looks, before saying he's going to transfer
They have 7 freshmen. Even if they like all of them there is just not room for everyone to play. Someone has to redshirt or sit. Does not mean they are gone. These are really his guys now and will be treated differently.

They have 7 freshmen. Even if they like all of them there is just not room for everyone to play. Someone has to redshirt or sit. Does not mean they are gone. These are really his guys now and will be treated differently.
We have to get some class balance somewhere. And red shirting is certainly a way to get some. Injuries and academics not withstanding, are my senses correct in saying that the top 5 freshman are?:
1) Carr--lock
2) Stewart--lock
3) Brown--most improved
4) kham Davis--best defender and good offensively
5) Stevenson

That leaves Peace and George as the last two freshman. We have only one sophomore and that's Kene Chukwuka, who apparently has caught the coaches eyes with his effort. I wonder if even Kham or Stevenson are redshirt candidates given the circumstances. But I doubt it. Both look like rotation guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary2

Official site"s roster lists Ellison as 6-6 and George as 6-7. They should look about the same height especially when we know the heights listed on roster are usually pretty inexact (often either exaggerated or rounded to the nearest inch or measured with shoes vs w/o shoes). So, maybe in reality Ellison could be 6-5 1/2 -ish and George could be 6-6 1/4 -ish? It's pretty hard to estimate heights watching the players on video--or even live and in person. Unless you actually see them getting measured with a measuring tape it is pretty hard to tell what the reality is--I think our visual perception is only capable of distinguishing if there is a legit 2" or greater height difference, in any event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT