ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame - Navy...

No one is going after the navy program and no one is disrespecting these players. Simply put, the athletes and the institution have higher priorities than being a top football program. And that’s to be commended.

There is nothing wrong with playing a fcs schedule with a few liower level fbs programs like army. Looking at their schedule, they have teams like Charlotte and north Texas coming up so it looks like they agree. They play Wagner next week.

Maybe the blame should go to notre dame moreso that navy. There is nothing “special” with notre dame embarrassing these navy students on an annual basis.
Is there anyone who doesn't know that the U.S. Navy saved ND from shutting its doors during World War II?

And that, in gratitude, ND told Navy 80 years ago that it would play Navy every year until Navy said it didn't want to any longer?

And that ND has kept its word given to Navy for 80 years?

And that, other than the Army game, the "home" Navy games in that series (played at NFL stadiums because Navy wants them played there because it earns way more in ticket sales in bigger stadiums) is the biggest revenue generator for Navy athletics?

Navy will never say "No more" to annual games with ND, ever.

Unless Navy does, the annual series will continue indefinitely.

Reactions: Zepley09
And that, other than the Army game, the "home" Navy games in that series (played at NFL stadiums because Navy wants them played there because it earns way more in ticket sales in bigger stadiums) is the biggest revenue generator for Navy athletics?
The fact that they are relying on ticket sales for a single game as a huge revenue generator is proof that they are getting left behind the big football schools. They probably have more in common with the MAC or FCS schools than they do with ND, SEC schools, or Big 10 schools. Hence the discrepancy between the two teams on the field that was apparent during the past weekend's game.

I am sure you are right that it's Navy choice to keep the series going, but Navy needs to consider whether it continues to make sense to keep the series going. Perhaps it does, but it Saturday was not pretty.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Not a Notre Dame fan at all, but I have to say watching them dismantle Navy this afternoon has been pretty impressive. Now I know that Navy changed their head coach last year, but Notre Dame looks to be the larger and faster of the two teams on the field.
From a Pitt football point of view, it looks as if the Pitt- Notre Dame game this year just got a little harder.
H2P!
It was impressive but I am not sure navy is even a decent Mac team. They are not what they were 5 or 10 years ago, which was a good Mac team.

Big 12 and the acc, minus Clemson, fsu, unc and Nc state , miami, u could put up a nice conference. Some sort of merger.

A 20 team conglomeration, 4 divisions, 5 team pods, play a 10 team schedule. A lot of interesting content there.

I’d sign up for that. You could even do a 24 team thing, split between East and west with Stanford and cal, wash st. A lot of options.

You have a mega conference that covers west coast, south west, middle America, mid Atlantic and north east. That’s a lot of TVs and college fans.
I think if that happens they need to start a completely new w conference and unfortunately pick some winners and losers. For example to maximize profits you can't have Utah and byu. Same with Arizona and Arizona st. If you want to be successful long term and maybe compete a little with the big 2 you need to make a few tough choices. Just adding a few to the bloated big 12 won't do that long-term.

No one is going after the navy program and no one is disrespecting these players. Simply put, the athletes and the institution have higher priorities than being a top football program. And that’s to be commended.

There is nothing wrong with playing a fcs schedule with a few liower level fbs programs like army. Looking at their schedule, they have teams like Charlotte and north Texas coming up so it looks like they agree. They play Wagner next week.

Maybe the blame should go to notre dame moreso that navy. There is nothing “special” with notre dame embarrassing these navy students on an annual basis.
There should be no blame for any one. Navy basically helped keep Notre Dame functioning during WWII. The rivalry between the two schools is one of the better ones in college football today.
Both schools understand the importance of what Navy did for Notre Dame during WWII and what Notre Dame does for the Navy football program today. It isn't about winning all the time in college sports and this is one of those times that the actual score of the game is secondary.
Also, for me, I do not want to see Pitt playing any FCS schools at all. In fact, I actually hate the idea. There is really no reason to do so for a school like Pitt. A victory over them is useless, even of it 100-0. People will say, so what. If they win 35-31, people will say man Pitt isn't that good this year and if they lose...??? Makes no sense.

It was impressive but I am not sure navy is even a decent Mac team. They are not what they were 5 or 10 years ago, which was a good Mac team.
Sometimes it is not about winning the games, its about participating in the rivalry. That's why, win or lose, I want to see psu and WVU on Pitt's football schedule every year. psu snubs its nose at playing Pitt ad then Pitt snubs its nose at playing WVU...why??? Its called arrogance and it is refreshing to see a big time football program like Notre Dame continues its rivalry with Navy.

Clawsons scheme is why those guys look good though. We've seen this movie many times in college football. QB friendly systems can take a limited guy like Hartman and get record breaking production out of him. I am skeptical of him this year. Brennan Armstrong looked like Steve Young at UVA, then they hired an OC who runs a less QB friendly scheme and he looked like crap last year.
Clawson is a top 3 coach in the ACC, and you could make a case for him being #1. His achievements at what has always been a college football bottom feeder have been remarkable.

As for Hartman, he lacks arm talent and strength but he is a very solid decision maker and an accurate thrower on the short and intermediate balls. I think he’ll do fine at ND. Not sure Marcus Freeman will though. Big dropoff from the last guy.

Clawson is a top 3 coach in the ACC, and you could make a case for him being #1. His achievements at what has always been a college football bottom feeder have been remarkable.

As for Hartman, he lacks arm talent and strength but he is a very solid decision maker and an accurate thrower on the short and intermediate balls. I think he’ll do fine at ND. Not sure Marcus Freeman will though. Big dropoff from the last guy.
Marcus Freeman started out as a first time head coach by going 0-3.

He went 0-2 to start 2022 but didn't lose his team. He kept them together and they got better.

Since that 0-2 start to 2022, Marcus Freeman has gone 10-2. Not a bad turnaround.

He is recruiting very well.

Time will tell if he makes it but not losing the team and righting the ship bodes well for the future.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who doesn't know that the U.S. Navy saved ND from shutting its doors during World War II?

And that, in gratitude, ND told Navy 80 years ago that it would play Navy every year until Navy said it didn't want to any longer?

And that ND has kept its word given to Navy for 80 years?

Navy will never say "No more" to annual games with ND, ever.

Unless Navy does, the annual series will continue indefinitely.
Despite saving ND I still like Navy.
Most beautiful campus I have ever been on.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam

The last guy…….
Drop off………

Marcus Freeman started out as a first time head coach by going 0-3.

He went 0-2 to start 2022 but didn't lose his team. He kept them together and they got better.

Since that 0-2 start to 2022, Marcus Freeman has gone 10-2. Not a bad turnaround.

He is recruiting very well.

Time will tell if he makes it but not losing the team and righting the ship bodes well for the future.
I’m rooting for him to get it done too Terry. I just think Kelly is and has for a long time been one of the handful of top HCs in the country. It’s a tough job to excel at and Freeman may become a great one but he is brand new to it. So there’s a dropoff for sure. That’s really not even debatable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT