ADVERTISEMENT

O.T.- RIP Connie Hawkins

hardbop

Scholarship
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2002
Very sad day for "Hawk" fans. Loved watching him play for the Rens and Pipers. He was Dr. J before there was Dr.J. The NBA blackballing was very unjust and he maintained his dignity throughout the whole ordeal. I'll always remember Connie palming the ball and swooping to the rim for a thunderous dunk. He did this in 1961( 19 years old) when no one else did it in the NBA or ABL.

Very sad day for "Hawk" fans. Loved watching him play for the Rens and Pipers. He was Dr. J before there was Dr.J. The NBA blackballing was very unjust and he maintained his dignity throughout the whole ordeal. I'll always remember Connie palming the ball and swooping to the rim for a thunderous dunk. He did this in 1961( 19 years old) when no one else did it in the NBA or ABL.
Sad news. The Hawk may have been my all time favorite hoopster. You younger guys should look up some old tape of the Hawk on youtube. Amazing talent.

Watching him and the Pipers made me a pro hoops fan. He was one tough mother!

Great player and greater man used to play doubles at Highland Park against him and Kenny Durrett another Pittsburgh legend lost too soon.

Fly with the Hawk...RIP

Back in the day while at Iowa and involved in a few controversies a reporter asked the Iowa HC about the basis for Hawkins financial aid.
The Iowa HC stood there and told the reporter Connie's on campus job is to clean the seaweed out of the Hawkeyes football stadium!
Good answer!

Last edited:
I lived in Iowa when Connie attended Iowa for one Year. We went to the Iowa Bball games and watched the freshman games prior to the varsity game. The Iowa Fieldhouse was full for the freshman game as everyone went early to watch Hawkins. He was incredible! The Iowa team won the big ten that year with Bill Nelson(Celtics star) as a 2nd year. The freshman team beat the varsity with no problem. At halftime , the freshman team would do a globetrotter routine with Hawkins standing at the key and the other players passing to Hawkins and his passing behind his back etc.. Hawkins would finish each routine by taking a ball in each hand taking one step(large) toward the basket and then dunking one hand after the other. The crowd would go nuts each time.

ADVERTISEMENT