ADVERTISEMENT

O T the buccos

Cap pitt

Junior
Jul 20, 2014
Shelton is an idiot, plain and simple, he acts like he’s trying to use some kind of basebalol strategy by removing a starting pitcher who’s pitching well and inserting a relief pitcher, the pirate bullpen is awful, seems like he is still changing pitchers like they are up in the inning in the batting order, and because they don’t bat anymore he can leave the starter in a inning or two longer, the strategy has changed, he needs to change with it

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I’ve come to the conclusion that Shelton is a placeholder until 2024, when the “window” opens up. Just too many blunders and I fail to understand the rationale behind his lineups. Wouldn’t mind promoting Don Kelly when the time comes (I wanted him in 2020), though that might just be the Yinzer in me talking.

The strategy has indeed changed. To the point that many teams do not allow starting pitchers to pitch through the lineup a third time, because the numbers show that the third time through the order pitchers typically pitch a good bit worse than the first two times.

Oh, wait, that wasn't what you meant by the strategy has changed, is it?

I don't think Shelton makes his own decisions. A lot of these modern managers are just puppets that do what the analytics team wants them to do. He is there to supervise the clubhouse.

why stop what’s working? If a starting pitcher is pitching well in the 5th or 6th inning, and maybe a 75 pitch count, and maybe a 1 or 2 run lead he’s gone, the pirate bullpen gave up several leads only to lose the game

Bold prediction: Oneil Cruz will be called up by the weekend. Apparently they will have successfully manipulated his service time within the next few days. I think it’s time.

Again the pirate bullpen shines, blew a 5 run lead
I’m mad, I texted a coworker who’s a Cards fan bragging about the lead. I’ve been a fan long enough to know what comes next! :oops:

At least Keller is showing some signs of life.

the pirates may show flashes here and there, have a good week or a good weekend from time to time, but they plain stink in general and aren't going to be anywhere close to .500 this year. or next year. or the year after that probably. there is nothing being built here lol, people can talk about the new front office and building the farm system and the rest of it but it's all just pap

the pirates may show flashes here and there, have a good week or a good weekend from time to time, but they plain stink in general and aren't going to be anywhere close to .500 this year. or next year. or the year after that probably. there is nothing being built here lol, people can talk about the new front office and building the farm system and the rest of it but it's all just pap
You could make this same evaluation just about every June and be right most of the time.

someone on twitter said they are bringing up Cruz this weekend. of course it's twitter so not exactly written in stone but could be interesting if true

What is amazing in the last 10 games here is the NL Central.

St Louis 5-5
Milwaukee 2-8
Pirates 2-8
Cubs 3-7
Reds 3-7

That's pathetic. Now we know St Louis will beat up on the Pirates, but the teams below the Pirates suck just as bad.

If the Pirates lose this afternoon, there will be 6 teams in MLB below .400 winning percentage. 3 of the 6 will reside in the NL Central.

I'm just not seeing it with this young group. This isn't exactly McCutchen + Alvarez + Walker + Harrison + Marte + Cole, etc. And even that group hit the free agent lottery on Burnett, Russel Martin, Volquez, Cervelli, etc. And the bullpen had Melancon, Watson, and Grilli all pitching lights out.

It seems this next young core is just a watered down version of that. The young position players up here right now all scream "future utility guy," with the exception of Hayes.

I'm just not seeing it with this young group. This isn't exactly McCutchen + Alvarez + Walker + Harrison + Marte + Cole, etc. And even that group hit the free agent lottery on Burnett, Russel Martin, Volquez, Cervelli, etc. And the bullpen had Melancon, Watson, and Grilli all pitching lights out.

It seems this next young core is just a watered down version of that. The young position players up here right now all scream "future utility guy," with the exception of Hayes.
I think it’s too early to say that simply because a lot of their prized prospects (including Davis, Peguero, and Gonzales) have not reached the big leagues yet. The reality is that we’re not going to figure out whether this rebuild is a success or not for another year or two. Most fans will find that ridiculous, but you have to give them a chance to bring everyone up.

I think it’s too early to say that simply because a lot of their prized prospects (including Davis, Peguero, and Gonzales) have not reached the big leagues yet. The reality is that we’re not going to figure out whether this rebuild is a success or not for another year or two. Most fans will find that ridiculous, but you have to give them a chance to bring everyone up.

I'm just talking about their clout in the minor leagues. Like people were thinking McCutchen, Cole, Marte, and Alvarez were going to be studs. I just don't think the hype is comparable. Maybe Henry Davis cancels one of them out. But, for instance, I don't think Priester has as much hype as Cole (Or Taillon or Glasnow, for that matter). And we were also way better at reclamation projects back then. Liriano, Volquez, and Happ were huge additions. And Huntington was piecing together top five bullpens in his sleep.

I'm just talking about their clout in the minor leagues. Like people were thinking McCutchen, Cole, Marte, and Alvarez were going to be studs. I just don't think the hype is comparable. Maybe Henry Davis cancels one of them out. But, for instance, I don't think Priester has as much hype as Cole (Or Taillon or Glasnow, for that matter). And we were also way better at reclamation projects back then. Liriano, Volquez, and Happ were huge additions. And Huntington was piecing together top five bullpens in his sleep.
Isn't Vasquez getting out soon. Sign him back up and the bullpen will againg be humming.

Ok, that makes more sense. It seems like they think Cruz, Davis, and then at least one of the infielding prospects could have “it.” The one thing that’s definitely concerning is that after Priester, there aren’t really any significant pitching prospects. I liked Tahnaj Thomas but I think the door may be shutting on his chances. Solometo could be good but he won’t be up for a few years, too.

Ok, that makes more sense. It seems like they think Cruz, Davis, and then at least one of the infielding prospects could have “it.” The one thing that’s definitely concerning is that after Priester, there aren’t really any significant pitching prospects. I liked Tahnaj Thomas but I think the door may be shutting on his chances. Solometo could be good but he won’t be up for a few years, too.

Yeah, that's where having Keller bust out and then getting rid of Baz really stings. I mean, Glasnow and Taillon never really worked out here either, but I consider them to be part of the last window.

There's Contreras and Priester. Then I don't even know what. Is Heredia still in the minors somewhere? I feel like he should be about 45 by now.

Yeah alot of their talent is still "down the road". One thing that is beneficial, and would have helped when Alvarez (and Bell) was here is now the full time DH where you could hide Cruz. I mean if Cruz hits only .220 but bombs 40 HR's, that is par for the course in today's baseball.

It all comes down to pitching. Contreras definitely looks like he is the real deal. There's this Burrows guy and Priester which are the next two. Solameto is ways away as is Chandler for whatever he is going to be. The SS Peguero looks like the real deal. They will add another top 5 pick in this draft.

I think what this franchise has to do when some of these guys are up, is move some prospects for a real live either bat or 1-2 starter. As we have seen holding on to some prospects, it is just not guarenteed.

Yeah, that's where having Keller bust out and then getting rid of Baz really stings. I mean, Glasnow and Taillon never really worked out here either, but I consider them to be part of the last window.

There's Contreras and Priester. Then I don't even know what. Is Heredia still in the minors somewhere? I feel like he should be about 45 by now.
Yeah alot of their talent is still "down the road". One thing that is beneficial, and would have helped when Alvarez (and Bell) was here is now the full time DH where you could hide Cruz. I mean if Cruz hits only .220 but bombs 40 HR's, that is par for the course in today's baseball.

It all comes down to pitching. Contreras definitely looks like he is the real deal. There's this Burrows guy and Priester which are the next two. Solameto is ways away as is Chandler for whatever he is going to be. The SS Peguero looks like the real deal. They will add another top 5 pick in this draft.

I think what this franchise has to do when some of these guys are up, is move some prospects for a real live either bat or 1-2 starter. As we have seen holding on to some prospects, it is just not guarenteed.
Recruits did a good job on the pitching rundown. Brennan Malone is a name that would’ve been included last year but he’s fallen off a cliff since then.

Also, I totally agree with you. Once they get an established core of four/five guys up from the minors (perhaps Hayes, Cruz, Peguero, Davis), then I’m all for trading whoever is needed to be in contention. I’ve said it before, but I think what held them back the last time was the hesitancy on going all-in. They found a few “diamonds in rough,” but could’ve used an arm like David Price or another bat (Tulowitzki was a name mentioned at the time) to push them over the top. Worst case scenario, they’re in the same position they are now.

Isn't Vasquez getting out soon. Sign him back up and the bullpen will againg be humming.
Vazquez was convicted in Pennsylvania, but still faces charges in Missouri and Florida. He's radioactive regardless of when he eventually gets out.

Vazquez was convicted in Pennsylvania, but still faces charges in Missouri and Florida. He's radioactive regardless of when he eventually gets out.

Given what's gone on with Trevor Bauer, if Vazquez were released from prison today and declared free and clear of all charges everywhere else (which isn't going to happen, but roll with it), how many years do you think his MLB suspension would be if he decided that he wanted to try to play again?

I like this dude we have on the mound tonight. We should be able to trade him to the South Park Petting Zoo in exchange for a dead peacock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT