ADVERTISEMENT

Observations

colingrant2

Junior
Gold Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pittsburgh
- I’ve been fortunate to personally witness many of the Pitt defenses of the 80’s. Last night’s win can stand alongside any single game performance I can remember.

I’m not saying this defense is equivalent because those defenses literally had future college and professional hall if gamers. Nonetheless, for one game. Complete domination.

- It would be inappropriate to say it was efficient or effective. It would be highly appropriate to describe it as completely dominant and that’s not an embellishment.

- Interceptions - What’s somewhat lost in the brilliance of the dominance, capped by the interceptions, is the fact that each interception opportunity was actually executed.

How many times have you seen a great defensive effort only to say if they had only caught the easy interception or two where the color announcer makes a joke on that’s why the position player plays defense and not offense?

Despite level of difficulty, Pitt defensive players not only made each interception they were in position to make, but scored as well.

- No Turnovers - Speaks for itself, but it seems like turnover beget turnovers for the other team as well.

- Penalties- Similarly, sloppy turnover games where the score gets out of hand early often turn into a flag flying game where the winning team gets full of themselves, loses its focus and discipline as eager backups seeking to make a play will do so with an over exuberance despite the cost. Pitt maintained their competitiveness with composure till the end. Impressive!

- Narduzzi Defensive Players Signature - Confident and borderline cocky. Maybe just outright cocky, especially the defensive backs. Been that way during entirety of Narduzzi’s tenure.

- Defensive Coaching - I can’t remember in-season improvement as evident as I have this season. It’s not just the statistical improvements, but it’s evident in the speed the players are playing their respective positions.

- It’s one thing knowing one’s assignment and another thing understanding the concept that are being sought to achieve. When both are understood, players play fast and instinctively.

- If I’m a high school recruit I come away excited about Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.