ADVERTISEMENT

Of Pitt games you have attended, your favorite home and road win and most disappointing home and road loss?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
In Pitt games that you attended, what was your favorite home win HW, most disappointing home loss HL, favorite road win RW, and most disappointing road loss RL?

Mine:
HW: 2003 31-28 over #5 Virginia Tech
HL: 45-44 Cincinnati 2009
RW: 34-33 Notre Dame 4OT 2008
RL: 29-26 Notre Dame 3OT 2012

Yours?

In Pitt games that you attended, what was your favorite home win HW, most disappointing home loss HL, favorite road win RW, and most disappointing road loss RL?

Mine:

Yours?
HW Pitt PSU 1976
HL Pitt PSU 1981

AW Notre Dame 2004
AL WVU 2023

HW=TD’S 303 YARDS VS. N.D.
ML=7-6 LOSS TO PED. STATE
AW=PITT VS. WASHINGTON HUGH GREENS SR. YR.
AL=AT N.D. IN 3 OT’S

HW Penn State 2016. Runners up either 2008 Wvu or 09 ND
AW Georgia Tech 2015 where Blewitt hit a 56 yarder with a minute left to win
HL Cincy 2009
AL UVa 2007 - failed onside kick to open, down 27-0 after the 1st quarter.

Not one of the 4 categories but for least disappointing loss... Michigan St Peach Bowl. Weird game where we were winning for most of it and even had the chance to tie before Beville's pick 6. Not one for moral victories but coming that close with the 3rd string qb playing most of the game was definitely the least angry I've been walking out of a Pitt loss.

Mine:

Yours?
Home Win - VT in 2003
Road/Neutral Win - ACC Championship

Home Loss - Cincy in 2009
Road/Neutral Loss - Annapolis Bowl

Mine:

Yours?

Road win: Clemson
Road loss: Toledo
Home win: PSU 2016
Home loss: Cincy

HW: 2000 PSU. Especially in hindsight, sending that ba$tard to his grave with an L1 to Pitt
AW: 1997 WVU. Yes Pitt was awful in 1998, but this game rolled the rock away from the tomb.
HL: 2003 Notre Dame. Just sickening. Felt like the team quit this day. And coming on the heels of (see below) left me rocked.
AL: 2003 Toledo. Couldn’t believe what I had just witnessed.

Reactions: Saboteur II
HW=TD’S 303 YARDS VS. N.D.
ML=7-6 LOSS TO PED. STATE
AW=PITT VS. WASHINGTON HUGH GREENS SR. YR.
AL=AT N.D. IN 3 OT’S
FWIW, the win at Washington was in 1979, Hugh’s junior year.

Reactions: jtbuba
HW: 2000 vs PSU and sending their god to the grave with a shutout loss to us
HL: too many to navigate… prob Youngstown St in Chryst’s opener. Wasn’t just the loss it was the fact the penguins looked like the P5 team that day
AW: Tennessee 2021 was so much fun
AL: Not sure if bowl game fits the criteria, but going with NW Pinstripe Bowl 2016. When bowl games semi mattered. Conners final game. Petermans final game. Had a lot of talent and chance to finished the season ranked. Really deflating loss.

Mine:

Yours?
Home win - 10-0 over PSU in 87.
Home loss - 20-14 against BYU in 84. (My first Pitt game in person)
Road Win 41-38 against WVU in 97.

Home:: Best win….Pitt’s thrashing of ND at Pitt Stadium when Dorsett broke 300; Worst home loss…48-14 debacle with PS

Away: Best win …. defeat of Clemson at Death Valley on last second FG; Worst loss…tie: ..1985 at the Shoe Pitt loses 10-7 to Ohio St……Mark Brasco misses 2 makeable FGs; Pitt loses 7-6 to Nebraska in 2005 when Josh Cummings has last second FG blocked.

Last edited:
AL: Not sure if bowl game fits the criteria, but going with NW Pinstripe Bowl 2016. When bowl games semi mattered. Conners final game. Petermans final game. Had a lot of talent and chance to finished the season ranked. Really deflating loss.
I was there too and had the same reaction. It certainly didn't help that our best three players (Peterman, Conner, and All American Dorian Johnson) got hurt and couldn't finish the game. Peterman had to be replaced by Ben Denucci, who had never taken a meaningful snap, for some of the third and all of the fourth quarter.

HW: Washington State 1995 (17-13 last minute win)
HL: tOSU 1993 (lost 28-63) and it wasn’t that close

AW: VT (2002) VT was 2nd or 3rd ranked
AL: Temple 1997. We would have won the Big East that year had we won.

Loved the away win at Tenn, but this is the perfect opportunity to brag that I am undefeated in road games! Granted I usually try to pick game I think Pitt will win but do take chances like Tenn for instance. Most years I got to 1 or 2 road games. I will admit I didn’t go to any last year due to the poor team , had tickets to Notre Dame but sold them midseason

Loved the away win at Tenn, but this is the perfect opportunity to brag that I am undefeated in road games! Granted I usually try to pick game I think Pitt will win but do take chances like Tenn for instance. Most years I got to 1 or 2 road games. I will admit I didn’t go to any last year due to the poor team , had tickets to Notre Dame but sold them midseason
You should put out a poll so we can vote on your road schedule next year. We are going to
Need your luck.

Been attending since 1976.

Worst home loss - Cincinnati when we blew the lead and the conference. (Runnerup is 48-14)

Worst road loss - 21-7 at Navy, 1985. Pitt was pushed around by a smaller Navy team.

Best home win- 10-0 over Peddophiles, 1987

Best road win - 14-9 at Beaver Stadium, 1980. Battle of top 5 teams.

The tie with WVU in the late 80s where we were getting blown out and ended up a tie in Morgantown felt like a win. I also felt like I was going to be killed leaving the game.

Reactions: USN_Panther

Mine:

Yours?
Home win - Penn State 2000, Rod Rutherford takes it to the house as a receiver and the defense dominated all game long

Home loss - Cincinnati 2009, blew a lead that would have sent us to a New Year's 6 bowl

Away loss - tie between Iowa 2011 and NC State 2009, both games we blew big second half leads over comparable OOC opponents.

Away win - Tennessee 2021, great win in front of 100K at Nehlen Stadium got down early and stormed back under KP

Neutral site win - Pitt over Wake Forest to win the 2021 ACC title. The high point of my 36 years of Pitt football fandom

Neutral site loss - Getting destroyed by eventual national champ Clemson in the 2018 ACC championship game in absolutely God awful weather. I was 99% sure we were going to lose but I didn't expect us to have 8 passing yards.

Home:: Best win….Pitt’s thrashing of ND at Pitt Stadium when Dorsett broke 300; Worst home loss…48-14 debacle with PS

Away: Best win …. defeat of Clemson at Death Valley on last second FG; Worst loss…tie: ..1985 at the Shoe Pitt loses 10-7 to Ohio St……Mark Brasco misses 2 makeable FGs; Pitt loses 7-6 to Nebraska in 2005 when Josh Cummings has last second FG blocked.
Mark SWORE those FG's were in!

Reactions: Islanderpanther
Home win: Notre Dame 1975, 34-20
Home loss: Penn State 1975, 6-7

Most disappointing game for my fandom: West Virginia 1970.
I left at half-time and walked down the hill to go drinking. It was 35-8 in favor of the 'eers when I left. For those who weren't alive, the Panthers rallied in the 2nd half to win 36-35.

I never left another game before the 4th quarter for the rest of my life.

Reactions: jtbuba
I really enjoyed beating Clemson in 2021 at home, it was a feeling like Pitt>Clemson, which in this era was fun, also liked VT in 2003 and ND/PSU/tOSU 1987.

Most depressing loss 35-10 in freezing weather vs. WVU in 2010. Also went to a game vs. tOSU in 1994, we trailed 49-0 at half, left and went to The O and we rallied to lose 63-28

I've only ever been to 2 Pitt road games, win vs. Navy in 2008 and loss to tOSU in 1986.

Last edited:
HW: 2000 vs PSU and sending their god to the grave with a shutout loss to us
HL: too many to navigate… prob Youngstown St in Chryst’s opener. Wasn’t just the loss it was the fact the penguins looked like the P5 team that day
AW: Tennessee 2021 was so much fun
That loss to YSU in Chryst's opener was pathetic. You're right, they looked like a P5 team and we looked like the FCS team. I would say that was the worst home loss I attended. The 2009 Cincy game is my runner up.

HW @ Pitt Stadium: 36-35 1970 vs WVU

HW @ Heinz Field: 31-28 2003 vs VaTech

HL @ Pitt Stadium: 29-55 1971 vs Oklahoma (their wishbone offense was unstoppable)

HL @ Heinz Field: 44-45 2009 vs Cincinnati

RW @ BankOneBallpark: 38-13 2002 vs Oregon State (Insight Bowl)

RL: @ SunDevilStadium: 7-35 2005 vs Utah (Fiesta Bowl) I've hated Urban Meyer ever since

Only tie game witnessed in person was @ Milan Puskar Stadium: 10-10 1985 vs WVU

Only away game I've ever attended was 2002 at ND. I sat in the ND student section with a friend that was going there rocking a crispy white Dan Marino Mitchell and Ness. ND students were very lame and the most pg13 chirping you've ever heard. I did get goosebumps walking in there though. You cant deny the mystique of that stadium.

Reactions: cbpitt2
You should put out a poll so we can vote on your road schedule next year. We are going to
Need your luck.p
depending on dates and times I am planning SMU as #1 choice and louisville as the backup choice. possible will do both if logistics lineup.

HW: ‘09 vs ND
RW: ‘21 at Tennessee
HL: ‘09 Cincinnati
RL: Pinstripe vs NW

Pinstripe was brutal. I will add that while Pitt has won every ROAD game I have ever attended (and the ACC-CG)....they have also LOST every bowl game I have ever attended. I won't promise to not go to another bowl game though :)

Reactions: LVNVPanther
Road win: Clemson
Road loss: Toledo
Home win: PSU 2016
Home loss: Cincy
These would be mine, except the home win, which I would put as the win over UVA in 2021 to clinch the ACC.

Edit: 97 Brawl was down there. Man I’m getting old. Win over Miami at Pitt stadium that same year was awesome though. So was beating ND in last game at the Stadium in 99.

Last edited:
HW: Of course TDs 303 v. ND
HL: Leading 14-0 and going in for another score Danny throws an endzone pick…we know the rest.

AW: At Texas A&M where Larry had a great game - unfortunately a couple of those catches were against my nephew Sean Weston.
AL: None as of yet.

Mark SWORE those FG's were in!
They weren't. He choked and cost Pitt a huge road win and a 2-0 record.

The following week Brasco and the other kicker combined for four misses in a 10-10 tie to WVU.

Not the best of ways to help save your coach's job.

They weren't. He choked and cost Pitt a huge road win and a 2-0 record.

The following week Brasco and the other kicker combined for four misses in a 10-10 tie to WVU.

Not the best of ways to help save your coach's job.

Back in that day, Mark Brasco lived in the dorms, and Pitt published a student directory with everyone's phone number. And caller ID wasn't even a thing. So let's just say that a good friend of mine took this opportunity to "remind" Mark of his failures. Often. It wasn't pretty.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT