ADVERTISEMENT

Off-topic posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
For a variety of reasons, we made the decision to eliminate the Locker Room board earlier today. That board served as a destination for truly off-topic posts, but its removal should not be misconstrued as an opening for the threads that populated that board to be posted here.

Ultimately, this site is dedicated to coverage of and discussion about Pitt sports. There are times when the discussions will veer away from that general topic and we understand that Pitt fans have interests in other topics - like other Pittsburgh sports - so we will attempt to be reasonable in what is permitted and what is not.

But at this point in time, we are not going to have political posts on these boards. Those threads will be deleted.

As always, our moderation policies will be flexible, and we welcome suggestions/comments regarding those policies. Thanks for your consideration on this matter, and thanks for making these boards the best place to discuss Pitt sports.

Appropriate decision. Since this site in some way represents the University and its Athletics the discussion should be mostly limited to those topics. As moderator, though, you always have authority to kill an OT topic.

I find it strange that people who have never posted one thing in the Locker Room are happy with this decision. Both the Rivals WVU and PSU sites have an off topic forum. In typical Pitt fashion, our fans are too good for that type of 'Tom Foolery'.
There were 2 or 3 posters who were always out of line and little value, but most people had interesting takes, even if I didn't agree with them. I only posted occasionally, but never felt as heated about anything as those few people did. You were one of the better posters there.

But at this point in time, we are not going to have political posts on these boards. Those threads will be deleted.

Some people inject the "kneeling" issue into every NFL discussion, it's an obsession to a certain type of people.

giphy.gif

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Some people inject the "kneeling" issue into every NFL discussion, it's an obsession to a certain type of people.

Since you mentioned this and your post wasn't deleted its fair game for a response!

The Some People are those who:
-love the country
-support the military
-respect the flag
-respect the constitution

And want the employees of NFL teams to do what they were hired to do which is to play football and not stage a political protest while on the job!

Fans also would like to watch a football games on Sunday Ticket, regular channels, in person without political interference! If this is part of the game it should be shown on the ticket political protest during the anthem and a football game. Maybe more will choose not to buy tickets which is happening anyway!

The players are free to protest " on their own time, on their own dime."

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Since you mentioned this and your post wasn't deleted its fair game for a response!

-love the country
-support the military
-respect the flag

And want the employees of NFL teams to do what they were hired to do which is to play football and not stage a political protest while on the job!

Fans also would like to watch a football games on Sunday Ticket, regular channels, in person without political interference! If this is part of the game it should be shown on the ticket political protest during the anthem and a football game. Maybe more will choose not to buy tickets which is happening anyway!

The players are free to protest " on their own time, on their own dime."

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

-love the country
-support the military
-respect the flag

I am in agreement with all of this, but I also respect the FIRST AMENDMENT AND FREE SPEECH which is part of the constitution.

Loving the country doesn't mean you think it's perfect, and that it never needs any changes.... IT DOES.

Supporting the military doesn't mean that you bow down and pray to it and never question it... YOU DO!

Respecting the flag is LESS IMPORTANT than respecting people... It's JUST a piece of cloth.

1st off you must not respect the constitution since you want limits on the 1st Amendment... and the constitution is a living document THAT CAN BE CHANGED AS NEEDED.

Reactions: 316 S Bouquet
-love the country
-support the military
-respect the flag

I am in agreement with all of this, but I also respect the FIRST AMENDMENT AND FREE SPEECH which is part of the constitution.

Loving the country doesn't mean you think it's perfect, and that it never needs any changes.... IT DOES.

Supporting the military doesn't mean that you bow down and pray to it and never question it... YOU DO!

Respecting the flag is LESS IMPORTANT than respecting people... It's JUST a piece of cloth.

1st off you must not respect the constitution since you want limits on the 1st Amendment... and the constitution is a living document THAT CAN BE CHANGED AS NEEDED.

When you're working on your job you have first ammendment restrictions based on the rules set by your employer.
I do most everyone does!

The airline pilot, flight attendant, bar tender, waiter, salesman, on and on can't protest or make political statement to customers or others while working.

It's that simple!

Protest on your own time, on your own dime! Not while you're working, and I'm buying tickets to help pay your salary!

So the players should play their game and take some time on radio and TV shows to voice their issues. I doubt they can agree on the issue but that's how they should protest.

Actually many radio talk show hosts have offered them free time and not one player has taken them up on the offer.

Or they can arrive early and protest in front of the stadium!

Reactions: Outdoorsman814
When you're working on your job you have first ammendment restrictions based on the rules set by your employer.
I do most everyone does!

But it's not mandatory for the employer to have any restrictions. Apparently the NFL EMPLOYERS don't seem to have restrictions. Other than Kaepernick not being able to get a job, most players who have done this haven't been "fired", so if the employer doesn't want to, they don't need to do anything. I know I've read several owners don't really care and aren't making it an issue. So your statement should be....

"When you're working on your job you MAY have first amendment restrictions (or maybe not) based on the rules set by your employer that he/she MAY SET, IF THEY WANT TO."

It's really that simple.

-love the country
-support the military
-respect the flag

The flag is more than just a piece of cloth. It represents something bigger than that. I don't disagree with your overall premise, but if a flag was just a piece of cloth, then people in the middle east wouldn't burn it. It would be meaningless. So obviously, it represents something.

But it's not mandatory for the employer to have any restrictions. Apparently the NFL EMPLOYERS don't seem to have restrictions. Other than Kaepernick not being able to get a job, most players who have done this haven't been "fired", so if the employer doesn't want to, they don't need to do anything. I know I've read several owners don't really care and aren't making it an issue. So your statement should be....

"When you're working on your job you MAY have first amendment restrictions (or maybe not) based on the rules set by your employer that he/she MAY SET, IF THEY WANT TO."

It's really that simple.

Fine if the NFL and owners want and allow protesting than change the NFL offering to say this Broadcast Includes a Players Protest During the National Anthem and A Football Game Featuring The Steelers and The Ravens.

The same wording should be available for all ticket purchasers to see prior to the NFL fan purchasing a ticket.

This now becomes a part of their job !

It'll be clear to viewers and fans wishing to attend games and everyone can make up their decisions!

I'm good with that!
I and others can also make up our minds whether we want to watch the game or attend.
Full disclosure so consumers can make choices is important.

But I doubt the owners want this but we'll see how far attendance and rating go this season.

Mrs Buffett and I have cancelled our Sunday Ticket for the second year in a row!

Last edited:
The flag is more than just a piece of cloth. It represents something bigger than that. I don't disagree with your overall premise, but if a flag was just a piece of cloth, then people in the middle east wouldn't burn it. It would be meaningless. So obviously, it represents something.
It represents something sure, but if you worship it, you're making America as is a religion that can't be challenged. I honestly don't think the founding fathers really wanted a country that couldn't adapt to the times, if they did they wouldn't have allowed a system to amend the constitution. The whole country started because the people wanted to protest the government. I look at America today and the right wing types, while they think they are the revolutionaries, in reality the are more like the LOYALISTS kissing England's butt in the revolutionary times.

Reactions: billyberoux
Fine if the NFL and owners want and allow protesting than change the NFL offering to say this Broadcast Includes a Players Protest During the National Anthem and A Football Game Featuring The Steelers and The Ravens.

The same wording should be available for all ticket purchasers to see prior to the NFL fan purchasing a ticket.

This now becomes a part of their job !

It'll be clear to viewers and fans wishing to attend games and everyone can make up their decisions!

I'm good with that!
I and others can also make up our minds whether we want to watch the game or attend.
Full disclosure so consumers can make choices is important.

But I doubt the owners want this but we'll see how far attendance and rating go this season.

Mrs Buffett and I have cancelled our Sunday Ticket for the second year in a row!

They don't need to do that unless they change to NFL offering to say this Broadcast Includes ceremonies honoring only military people during the entire game and A Football Game Featuring The Steelers and The Ravens. They do that all the time and don't tell us in advance.

I'll still be watching every Steelers game and lots of other NFL games, not going to quit over a protest. I in fact, GO OUT OF MY WAY, to MISS the anthem.

It represents something sure, but if you worship it, you're making America as is a religion that can't be challenged. I honestly don't think the founding fathers really wanted a country that couldn't adapt to the times, if they did they wouldn't have allowed a system to amend the constitution. The whole country started because the people wanted to protest the government. I look at America today and the right wing types, while they think they are the revolutionaries, in reality the are more like the LOYALISTS kissing England's butt in the revolutionary times.
Who is worshiping it? I think you just set up a red herring.

The rest of your post is so bizarre I don't know where to start. Republicans are denying other people the right to representation? Who knew?

The country didn't start because people wanted to protest the government. It started because as a colony we were being taxed without any representation on how that money was being used. We wanted self-determination, not a monarchy. Especially one an ocean away. We didn't want to change the government per se, we wanted to create a new country. That's not what is happening today in NFL games. Not even close.

I don't think any right wing types think they are revolutionary. In fact, many antifa groups CALL themselves revolutionaries.

You definitely don't have your finger on the pulse of the country, or anything really. Are you really suggesting then, that democrats are looking to start a war to overthrow the current system of government? Because that's where the logical conclusion of what you are suggesting would lead to.

Last edited:
I think everyone has understood the message in the original post, so I'm going lock this thread. I'm always open to discussing the moderation of these boards, so if you have further comments/suggestions, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT