ADVERTISEMENT

Offense v. defense

Apr 26, 2012
In an answer to the question, which is worse, our offense or our defense, that's an easy call for me.
The offense is far worse, and far, far more disappointing.

The D hasn't been good. But I didn't expect them to be good. A couple of factors:
-- The two-deep is littered with 19 year-olds who had no experience. Talent or no talent, that a bad scene.
-- They just faced two of best offenses in the country, and the odd nightmare of facing that GT attack, which is really tough to handle.

Put those two factors together, and one should've expected them to get to hammered, which they absolutely did against OK St.
But, they actually played ok against Penn State. And against GT, the useless offense was a constant 3 and out, so they had to spend the whole day on the field. Sure, they couldn't stop the run, but they turned the ball over, and then a minute later, right back on the field. Before the game, if you knew how pathetic the offense was going to be, you'd have guessed we'd have given up 80 points.

Not making excuses for the D, just saying that this is about what one could reasonably expect given the circumstances. I know some expect 19 year olds with no experience to play like senior All-Americans; I don't.

The offense is a different story. Just f'ing awful.
-- They aren't young. Many guys have a lot of experience.
-- We entered last year with no experience at WR, and little apparent talent. But two guys surprisingly had great years, and were back this year. And they've been awful. Its not just the loss of Peterman and two good lineman. Weah can't catch anymore, and Henderson can't run and make anyone miss.
-- Clark has been disappointing at TE. (He's playing for the first time, so maybe he'll start to improve. One can hope, but so far he's not been good.)
-- I didn't expect a lot out of our returning backs, but they've been weaker than expected.
-- And at QB...good lord.

I see the defense getting better as the year goes on, and I think they can actually be good next year. I do not feel the same way about the offense.

In an answer to the question, which is worse, our offense or our defense, that's an easy call for me.

The D hasn't been good. But I didn't expect them to be good. A couple of factors:
-- The two-deep is littered with 19 year-olds who had no experience. Talent or no talent, that a bad scene.
-- They just faced two of best offenses in the country, and the odd nightmare of facing that GT attack, which is really tough to handle.

Put those two factors together, and one should've expected them to get to hammered, which they absolutely did against OK St.
But, they actually played ok against Penn State. And against GT, the useless offense was a constant 3 and out, so they had to spend the whole day on the field. Sure, they couldn't stop the run, but they turned the ball over, and then a minute later, right back on the field. Before the game, if you knew how pathetic the offense was going to be, you'd have guessed we'd have given up 80 points.

Not making excuses for the D, just saying that this is about what one could reasonably expect given the circumstances. I know some expect 19 year olds with no experience to play like senior All-Americans; I don't.

-- We entered last year with no experience at WR, and little apparent talent. But two guys surprisingly had great years, and were back this year. And they've been awful. Its not just the loss of Peterman and two good lineman. Weah can't catch anymore, and Henderson can't run and make anyone miss.
-- Clark has been disappointing at TE. (He's playing for the first time, so maybe he'll start to improve. One can hope, but so far he's not been good.)
-- I didn't expect a lot out of our returning backs, but they've been weaker than expected.

I see the defense getting better as the year goes on, and I think they can actually be good next year. I do not feel the same way about the offense.

I actually dont think the D has been that bad. Forget OKST for a second, the D played well against PSU and "only" allowed 35 vs GT even though it was on the field the entire game.

I posted this in the Chryst recruiting thread and will repeat it here since it's appropriate. These are the recruits left from the what should be the upper classes of defensive players (RS Sr, Sr/RS Jr, Jr/RS So).

2013 - not a single defensive player on roster

Folston
Zeise
Motley
Roy
Wirginis
Briggs
Jalen Williams

Brightwell (PN)
McKee (PN)
A. Edwards (PN)
Stocker (PN)
Whitehead (PC)
Dane Jackson (PC)
M. Henderson (PC)

They have a lot of 2016 guys playing significant minutes who are RS Fr/So. If you don't see improvement as the year goes on and bigger improvement next year, then you can question the recruiting. I believe the D will be much better next year, and really good in 2019.

Reactions: President Stache
Pitt cannot pass the ball
Pitt cannot run the ball

Pitt cannot stop the run
Pitt cannot stop the pass

Our punter has been good this season.

I actually dont think the D has been that bad. Forget OKST for a second, the D played well against PSU and "only" allowed 35 vs GT even though it was on the field the entire game.
The D has not played well. We have 3 sacks through 4 games, minimal TFLs, and we get virtually no upfield push from our DL. The edges are soft, there is no pressure on the passer, the middle is soft and we have had tons of MAs that have led to big plays by the opponent.

They are young and will improve, that much is true. Most of these new starters show more upside and promise than the guys they are replacing at the same stage with the glaring exception of Juan Price. But to this point they have not been good, to put it generously.

To me, the offense is by far and it is not even close, the bigger problem in my eyes.

While the defense has not been good and I won't pretend otherwise, this offense has totally hung them out to dry as well. Against GTech for example, the defense had 4 TO's and the offense literally did not gain a 1st down after any of them. Think about that. 4 times the defense got a TO giving the ball to our offense only for them to go 3 and out giving the ball right back to GTech.

How many points does Pitt give up if the offense gets say 2 decent drives out of those 4 TO's? Maybe they give up 10 less points or 14 less points, etc...

This offense is downright pathetic and again while the defense is not good and certainly needs to get better, they are being hung out to dry by this offense.

To me, the offense is by far and it is not even close, the bigger problem in my eyes.

While the defense has not been good and I won't pretend otherwise, this offense has totally hung them out to dry as well. Against GTech for example, the defense had 4 TO's and the offense literally did not gain a 1st down after any of them. Think about that. 4 times the defense got a TO giving the ball to our offense only for them to go 3 and out giving the ball right back to GTech.

How many points does Pitt give up if the offense gets say 2 decent drives out of those 4 TO's? Maybe they give up 10 less points or 14 less points, etc...

This offense is downright pathetic and again while the defense is not good and certainly needs to get better, they are being hung out to dry by this offense.
No disagreement.

Not many of PN's offensive recruits are stepping up
Not many of Chryst's offensive recruits are "stepping up" either.

Duzzi's recruits consist of a few true sophs, and a whole bunch of freshmen and RS freshmen.

What exactly do you expect from them at this point? Instant impact?

You mean like JC, Boyd, Bis, Holtz, DJ and others. They contributed early and often. Kind of like an instant impact. Now its your turn. List your guys.

Its year 3, time for the excuses to stop.

Not many of Chryst's offensive recruits are "stepping up" either.

Duzzi's recruits consist of a few true sophs, and a whole bunch of freshmen and RS freshmen.

What exactly do you expect from them at this point? Instant impact?

dog poop vs bear poop...truly a conundrum for which four paragraphs not needed since they both stink horribly and the answer is not important in the least. .

You mean like JC, Boyd, Bis, Holtz, DJ and others. They contributed early and often. Kind of like an instant impact. Now its your turn. List your guys.

People forget they also jobbed to 6-7 records with those young guys and their "instant impact".

Vegas, no one on the thread is making excuses, we're just pointing to the reality of the situation. The reality, and we all know this, that while Chryst recruited well on offense, he was really weak with his defensive recruiting, and there is nothing there from his recruits.

If PN had taken over a program that had recruited even reasonably well on D before him, then in this, his 3rd year, this year's defensive unit would be largely manned with PC's recruits, who would be juniors and seniors, and many of them would have had experience on the 2-deep from the prior year. And a few of PN's recruits -- RS freshman and true freshman -- would be sprinkled in to the 2-deep.

But there are very few of these PC recruits on this D at all, and the ones there are aren't great.

Who are PC's upper-class recruits? Maddox...and...well, Wirginis, but he got himself suspended, then got hurt. Oh, and Roy and Herndon on the DL. There is Zeise, but only because PN converted him from WR out of desperate need.
Maddox is the only one who really is of starter's quality on a P5 roster, and that's if you can overlook his small size.

So most of the 2-deep is comprised of really young raw guys with no, or virtually no experience, who are learning to play 'on the job' and trying to do it against PSU, GT, and OK St.'s offenses.

THAT is the reality of Narduzzi's Year 3 situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT