ADVERTISEMENT

Official Visit Coming

Man idk about these transfers. They’re all from bad conferences. Last year we landed Elliot and Hinson from P6 experience, so there was no change in playing level. Nike was good eventually but if you recall he got off to a very slow start here

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Fingers crossed he is still available and takes his Pitt visit.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Man idk about these transfers. They’re all from bad conferences. Last year we landed Elliot and Hinson from P6 experience, so there was no change in playing level. Nike was good eventually but if you recall he got off to a very slow start here
Well, if Pitino is interested in him, that has to be a positive sign, I'd think.

19 PPG 38% from 3. Yes please. Bad conference or not, if you can shoot, you can shoot. Vanilla Ice from Belmont lit us up in Greensboro and a MAAC kid from ND. Marcus Hammond from Niagara went from 18 to 10 at ND and dropped 20 on us. And Rhody is in the A10, a high major conference.

It seems to just depend on the player.
Seems like a mixed bag if you look at last year.
Lots of duds from big schools but some great ones.
Also some of the smaller conference guys did really well.
You have to trust your evaluations

Reactions: Hail412Pitt
Well, if Pitino is interested in him, that has to be a positive sign, I'd think.
And you didn’t want RP when he was available, which is it? BTW college sports is a cesspool that Capel has took part in and guessing still does, I sure hope he does play by the rules as the others

Burton, Cummings and Sibande all started out at smaller conferences.

Sibande was slowed by not being cleared and an injury.

Burton was at Wichita State and TX Tech, wouldn’t put him there. Cummings played his entire career out at Colgate, but made the tourney multiple times as well. So his experience kinda puts him on both sides of the argument. That leaves Sibande, who definitely started slow here.

• Haha
Burton was at Wichita State and TX Tech, wouldn’t put him there. Cummings played his entire career out at Colgate, but made the tourney multiple times as well. So his experience kinda puts him on both sides of the argument. That leaves Sibande, who definitely started slow here.
I'd call starting out in the AAC with the Shockers within the realm of 'smaller conferences'.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeydavid

Your concerns aren't entirely unfounded. In fact, there was a pretty consistent period when most of the smaller school transfers we were taking weren't working too well here.

But I think the game has changed so much now that it's just how it is. And other teams are doing the same thing. In general, I don't think teams are as good as they were ten years ago, and I'm sure all this shuffling has something to do with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD_6082
Cummings was at Bowling Green to start his career.

The depth chart is already packed, so at this point does it really matter? Does anyone know if he can be a primary ball handler? Depth at the PG position is probably what we are after.

I want decent team players. Horton had a great 3 pt percentage, and semi decent FT, but not much else team wise. His shooting should transfer and hopefully he brings a more well rounded game. I’d take him though.

Reactions: Charles De Mar
I would like to see Pitt get Noah Thomasson. I think he brings a lot to the table, especially his shooting ability.

I don't know who can step up, but I really hope someone can be a leader like J Burton. That guy was so important to the Panther's success.

Reactions: Drew1208
He was on campus yesterday and from a very reliable source was impressed with Pitt - Georgia may be the front runner because Noah has family in the Atlanta area.

Reactions: Brock_45 and cabe23

Burton played in the big 12 before Pitt?

Cummings and Sibande had moments but we’re just solid slightly above replacement levels guards at the ACC level.

You’re also talking about a guy in his 5th year and 2 in their 6th.

Last edited:
Am I correct in hearing that Thomasson committed to Georgia. If so, do we have any other strong transfer options in the works?
They reached out to the kid from Marshall yesterday, but it sounds like he might have hit the portal with another school in mind. If it’s any indication of what they’re looking for, it seems like they’ll still hunt for a kid with a strong shot tool - which is what they should be doing.

We’ll probably see some names pop up in the next few days. Or maybe we won’t and we’ll just get a commitment. You never know with this staff.

They reached out to the kid from Marshall yesterday, but it sounds like he might have hit the portal with another school in mind. If it’s any indication of what they’re looking for, it seems like they’ll still hunt for a kid with a strong shot tool - which is what they should be doing.

We’ll probably see some names pop up in the next few days. Or maybe we won’t and we’ll just get a commitment. You never know with this staff.
I would imagine any kid entering this late has a plan.

I would imagine any kid entering this late has a plan.
Yeah, unless it’s a situation where a teammate unexpectedly decides to pull his name out of the draft and a kid portals late because his role changes.

At this point you’re probably looking for a kid currently in the portal who’s getting a lot of “you’re a high major depth piece” feedback on the market right now, but the staff sees something more. Might work, might not. It’s worked both ways here in the past. Or they try to throw a bag and get someone like RayJ away from Illinois. Probably less likely, but who knows - spots and roles are starting to fill up, and we’ve still got a solid starter or sixth man type of minute share to sell in the backcourt.

Reactions: gary2
Yeah, unless it’s a situation where a teammate unexpectedly decides to pull his name out of the draft and a kid portals late because his role changes.

Anyone who enters the portal now who is not a grad transfer is ineligible to play next season.

Theoretically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT