ADVERTISEMENT

OK another NET question

NCanton Panther

All American
Sep 22, 2001
NET seems to be the most popular topic on the BB board these days, at least w/r to why our NET is so low compared to other teams and how that impacts our tourney chances.

And then the closely related Q1/Q2 wins and Q3/Q4 losses are another popular topic.

So here’s a good question for you. Last I recall our UNC and MIAMI wins are only Q2 wins because both of their NET rankings fall just outside of the Q1 limit. So we have another game remaining with each. Let’s say for theoretical talking purposes, UNC beating Pitt in our upcoming game would push our 1st win against them up to a Q1 whereas us winning would end up giving us 2 Q2 wins. Same with Miami, lose the next one and it pushes our 1st win up to Q1 vs win both and they both end up Q2 wins.

So who should I be rooting for, Pitt in those games or UNC/Miami to further Pitt’s tourney chances?

And before jumping on me over this, I’m more than half joking with this question, just thought of it as a little humorous given all this supposed significance of Q1 vs Q2 wins, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
UNC on the road is a Q1 win so obviously its better for Pitt to win than lose even if losing bumps UNC at home to a Q1 win. Better to have a Q2 win at home and a Q1 win on the road than just a Q1 win at home.

The better question is which win would you rather have: @ Q1 UNC or vs Q4 Louisville. I kinda think Louisville is stupidly the bigger game for the NCAAT.

And before jumping on me over this, I’m more than half joking with this question, just thought of it as a little humorous given all this supposed significance of Q1 vs Q2 wins, etc.
You were smart to include this last paragraph. Some people on here have a hard time recognizing humor, irony or sarcasm.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
UNC on the road is a Q1 win so obviously its better for Pitt to win than lose even if losing bumps UNC at home to a Q1 win. Better to have a Q2 win at home and a Q1 win on the road than just a Q1 win at home.

The better question is which win would you rather have: @ Q1 UNC or vs Q4 Louisville. I kinda think Louisville is stupidly the bigger game for the NCAAT.
Yeah a win at UNC is likely Q1 but I said ‘theoretically talking purposes’. So in general, is 1-1 Q1 (home W /away L) better or worse than 2-0 Q2 (1 W each home and away). I sure hope the 2nd scenario is better, otherwise it’s just another example of the nonsensical-ness of it all.

Yeah a win at UNC is likely Q1 but I said ‘theoretically talking purposes’. So in general, is 1-1 Q1 (home W /away L) better or worse than 2-0 Q2 (1 W each home and away). I sure hope the 2nd scenario is better, otherwise it’s just another example of the nonsensical-ness of it all.
Wins matter most. We need as many of them as we can possibly get. High-Quality wins are better than quality wins. But what matters most is not losing.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
Wins matter most. We need as many of them as we can possibly get. High-Quality wins are better than quality wins. But what matters most is not losing.
This whole NET, Kenpom, Sagarin, bracketology is maddening.

I dont think you realize that Q1 is
1-30 home
1-75 away

At UNC is going to be Q1 regardless. Its important to get that Q1 win even if it means our home win over them stays Q2.

Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT