ADVERTISEMENT

OK. But who would you hire?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Even if we go 0-18, I would still give Stallings another year with the kids a year older, Luther, and Ellison. I think if you fire him after only 2 years after he had to completely rebuild the program and play all freshmen will make this job look more toxic than any of you think. The typical coach will see a place that forced out Jamie Dixon (perception in the business whether its true or not) and only gave Stallings 2 years.

So, lets say you do fire him and pay the buyout, who do you hire?

Hiring a coach of whoever wins the CAA or MAAC tournament is nothing more than a lottery ticket and this program cant afford to take that chance. Not only that but they dont move the needle AT ALL as far as season ticket sales.

To me, the only way you fire Stallings is if you can get:

- Sean Miller (unrealistic, yes, but with the FBI stuff, maybe he's looking to get away or AZ is looking to make a move)

- Rick Pitino (Pitt doesn't want to win this bad)

- Thad Matta

- Tom Crean

- Danny Hurley

- Bobby Hurley (a WTF move like Buzz)

There's a bunch of other guys you can hire but I don't think any of them are "slam dunks" worth paying the buyout for. Guys like

Mark Gottfried
Lorenzo Romar
Kevin Willard
Ed Cooley
Jeff Capel
Jon Scheyer
Kelvin Sampson
Brandin Knight

Ny point is that it is rather pointless to fire Stallings, pay the buyout and hire a lottery ticket mid-major coach.

I think they should make a big push for Crean. He might not be at Coach K's level or a few others, but he's recruit much better than Stallings and get this program back on track.

Reactions: PittFathead87
Even if we go 0-18, I would still give Stallings another year with the kids a year older, Luther, and Ellison. I think if you fire him after only 2 years after he had to completely rebuild the program and play all freshmen will make this job look more toxic than any of you think. The typical coach will see a place that forced out Jamie Dixon (perception in the business whether its true or not) and only gave Stallings 2 years.

Hiring a coach of whoever wins the CAA or MAAC tournament is nothing more than a lottery ticket and this program cant afford to take that chance. Not only that but they dont move the needle AT ALL as far as season ticket sales.

- Sean Miller (unrealistic, yes, but with the FBI stuff, maybe he's looking to get away or AZ is looking to make a move)

- Thad Matta

- Tom Crean

- Danny Hurley

There's a bunch of other guys you can hire but I don't think any of them are "slam dunks" worth paying the buyout for. Guys like

Mark Gottfried
Lorenzo Romar
Kevin Willard
Ed Cooley
Jeff Capel
Jon Scheyer
Kelvin Sampson
Brandin Knight

Ny point is that it is rather pointless to fire Stallings, pay the buyout and hire a lottery ticket mid-major coach.
The person who forced JD is long gone. You have zero idea of who will express interest in the job.

If we are willing to actually commit to winning, we could get anybody here (with the exceptions of Top 5-10 types obviously).

People always have this woe is me attitude with Pitt. Giving so many excuses why we can't do this or do that.

We can't get anybody like that because we were always so cheap and didn't really care about winning. And nobody ever wants to donate because we are so cheap and don't care about winning.

We are an ACC job in a major city, we can get a good coach IF WE WANT TO WIN.

I want Stallings fired, but only if we are ready to actually show we are committed.

Make a hire like the two soccer coaches she has hired.

If Crean or Matta want back in the game bad enough, I think we can make that hire.

Otherwise I’m going for a mid major guy at a program you typically see as a 14/15 seed in the dance on a near yearily basis.

If Crean or Matta want back in the game bad enough, I think we can make that hire.

Otherwise I’m going for a mid major guy at a program you typically see as a 14/15 seed in the dance on a near yearily basis.

Why would you pay a buyout to get that guy though? That guy is available every year and those guys fail more than they succeed. Look at Penn State

Why would you pay a buyout to get that guy though? That guy is available every year and those guys fail more than they succeed. Look at Penn State

If I’m buying out Stallings, it wouldn’t be for a mid major guy. I’m only doing it if I know I have a Matta etc in my back pocket. Just don’t like our odds of getting someone like that.

The one thing I don't get is why everyone says they'd only get rid of Stallings for a KNOWN PROVEN NAME... and not some up and comer...

When our greatest coach Dixon was just that, an up and comer..

And Stallings was a proven name.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
The one thing I don't get is why everyone says they'd only get rid of Stallings for a KNOWN PROVEN NAME... and not some up and comer...

But Stallings name was proven as a loser. Big difference there.

I'd much rather take the 15% chance lottery ticket on a mid major than stick with Stallings. Stallings has a 0% chance of success.

- Thad Matta

- Tom Crean

- Danny Hurley

Mark Gottfried
Lorenzo Romar
Kevin Willard
Ed Cooley
Jeff Capel
Jon Scheyer
Kelvin Sampson
Brandin Knight

Quit mentioning Romar, just thinking about him is depressing. Gottfried only slightly better, but they are cut from the same cloth.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I wish that we would stop kicking around Matta's name, he isn't ever going to be physically able to coach again.

Reactions: cabe23
I think they should make a big push for Crean. He might not be at Coach K's level or a few others, but he's recruit much better than Stallings and get this program back on track.

Take a good look at what Crean did at Indiana, you might change your mind. Especially if you are someone who wasn't happy with Dixon's results. Some on this board expect Stallings to make the NIT in year 3, Crean lost 20 in his 3rd year at IU.

But Stallings name was proven as a loser. Big difference there.

I'd much rather take the 15% chance lottery ticket on a mid major than stick with Stallings. Stallings has a 0% chance of success.

Stallings is a proven mediocre coach. Forget last year and this year. After that, he'd get us to the NCAAT about 1/3 of the time.

So, you'd be buying out a proven mediocre coach for a guy who might be a terrible coach or might be a great coach (and if he's that, he's gone quick).

- Thad Matta

- Tom Crean

- Danny Hurley

Mark Gottfried
Lorenzo Romar
Kevin Willard
Ed Cooley
Jeff Capel
Jon Scheyer
Kelvin Sampson
Brandin Knight

Quit mentioning Romar, just thinking about him is depressing. Gottfried only slightly better, but they are cut from the same cloth.

Yea but for once, Id like to get a bunch of NBA guys in here to see if they can win despite Romar or Gottfried's coaching

Stallings is a proven mediocre coach. Forget last year and this year. After that, he'd get us to the NCAAT about 1/3 of the time.

So, you'd be buying out a proven mediocre coach for a guy who might be a terrible coach or might be a great coach (and if he's that, he's gone quick).

I agree, so then if we know what we're getting with Stallings, don't we also know the same with Maata, Crean, etc.? And it's not much different.

He wouldn't get us to the NCAAT 1/3 time. Maybe 1/5, but that option wouldn't even start until his 3rd year, so we'd be hoping 1/8 to start his tenure. That is failure.

Yea but for once, Id like to get a bunch of NBA guys in here to see if they can win despite Romar or Gottfried's coaching

They both have a long enough track record to know what they’d do.

tenor.gif

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Smf
Stallings didnt have to rebuild the program that was HIS choice.
I get tired of people blaming things on dixon.
As well as the rebuild excuse.
Easy to forget Dixon was in a worse situaion.and look where he is.
Everything that happened was Stallings doing and nobody else !!!
Vanderbilt was firing him, so why hire a fired coach with a pedigree at best (and i think im being generous) then the one you let go . Arent you supposed to improve on your last coach ?
And why as Pitt fans is him rebuilding and making us the laughingstock of the ACC ok ?
He needs defense and rebounding to win in the ACC. Pitt doesnt have it now and its not coming in the near future. He believes in shooters.
If he finishes in the bottom of the conference- fire him. Another year sets the program back 2-3 years.
Is that (really) acceptable for us as fans ?

Smf
Vanderbilt was firing him, so why hire a fired coach with a pedigree at best (and i think im being generous) then the one you let go . Arent you supposed to improve on your last coach ?
And why as Pitt fans is him rebuilding and making us the laughingstock of the ACC ok ?
He needs defense and rebounding to win in the ACC. Pitt doesnt have it now and its not coming in the near future. He believes in shooters.
If he finishes in the bottom of the conference- fire him. Another year sets the program back 2-3 years.

Question:

How many transfers besides Cam Johnson were legitimate ACC players? Stallings didn't have a choice.

Dixon inherited better underclassmen than Stallings did, without question.

Reactions: Loman909

I think the book is, or should be, closed on Stallings now. Forget about the possibilities of him ever getting us to a winning season let alone a post-season tournament. He's never going to do that even if we keep him for 20 years.

Question:

How many transfers besides Cam Johnson were legitimate ACC players? Stallings didn't have a choice.

We don't know because those guys weren't going to get offers from ACC schools after blowing a year of eligibility and not really playing. Those type of situations never get re recruited immediately to the highest levels unless they were top 25-50 recruits. However, if they weren't great players, why did Stallings sign them? Why didn't he bring in other players in that first class? Why did he wait to fill 2017 in May of 2017? Why did he run off his best returning player?

We don't know because those guys weren't going to get offers from ACC schools after blowing a year of eligibility and not really playing. Those type of situations never get re recruited immediately to the highest levels unless they were top 25-50 recruits. However, if they weren't great players, why did Stallings sign them? Why didn't he bring in other players in that first class? Why did he wait to fill 2017 in May of 2017? Why did he run off his best returning player?
You're a troll and a nut, but I'll ask the question anyways, as this post is hilarious and makes you look even sillier than normal - remind me how Stallings ran Cam Johnson off? Can you and elderly jogger share some of your VIP insider info with the rest of us schlubs?

Reactions: 88Pitt88
Question:

If you remember, therr were quotes that those players didn't hear from Stallings right away. Its my thought that he tried to bring in better players but with everyone already signed or committed, he couldn't, so he called the 3 commits and said he needs them

Smf

A lot of truth in your post.

This dumpster fire is entirely on Stallings, no one else. The posters who believe that Dixon was a contributor to our failure last year and this year are just in denial of the truth and facts.

To win in the ACC, we need players who not only can shoot the ball and make shots, a secondary consideration, but who also can play stifling defense and rebound very well. We don't have any of that right now. Even if we did, our coach doesn't believe in playing well in those parts of the game. I'd want great defensive player and rebounders before I'd even think about shooters. But what do I know? We have a coach who thinks the opposite and he's won how many games in league this year? Oh wait....never mind.

Reactions: PANTHERAN
Smf

A lot of truth in your post.

This dumpster fire is entirely on Stallings, no one else. The posters who believe that Dixon was a contributor to our failure last year and this year are just in denial of the truth and facts.

To win in the ACC, we need players who not only can shoot the ball and make shots, a secondary consideration, but who also can play stifling defense and rebound very well. We don't have any of that right now. Even if we did, our coach doesn't believe in playing well in those parts of the game. I'd want great defensive player and rebounders before I'd even think about shooters. But what do I know? We have a coach who thinks the opposite and he's won how many games in league this year? Oh wait....never mind.

Jamie left Stallings 3 quality players but no PG and no Center. I mean, literally none. How do you win in the ACC like that?

He also left him only 2 ACC underclassmen. How anyone can say Dixon doesn't deserve blame is clearly delusional.

Reactions: dbilsky and gary2
You're a troll and a nut, but I'll ask the question anyways, as this post is hilarious and makes you look even sillier than normal - remind me how Stallings ran Cam Johnson off? Can you and elderly jogger share some of your VIP insider info with the rest of us schlubs?
I'm neither. I'm not a "VIP insider" either.

It's been discussed ad nauseam.

How did Stallings run Cam Johnson off? He is a bad coach, who gutted the team, and had no chance of success.

Reactions: PANTHERAN
If you remember, therr were quotes that those players didn't hear from Stallings right away. Its my thought that he tried to bring in better players but with everyone already signed or committed, he couldn't, so he called the 3 commits and said he needs them
If you'll remember he re-recruited them and brought in 0 players of his own, even though he had an open scholarship. Lots of players are recruited and signed after he was named HC. Many went to some of our ACC competition. If he thought he couldn't get good players after March, what was he doing with the 2017 class? You can't make the argument both ways.

How about both coaches are to blame for the state of the program? Stallings was left with a roster full of upperclassmen malcontents. Subsequently Stallings did nothing to remedy the situation from a recruiting perspective. So I say both have some culpability pertaining to the current state of the program. Fair enough?

How about both coaches are to blame for the state of the program? Stallings was left with a roster full of upperclassmen malcontents. Subsequently Stallings did nothing to remedy the situation from a recruiting perspective. So I say both have some culpability pertaining to the current state of the program. Fair enough?
Absolutely. Of course, one guy is getting paid by Pitt to win basketball games and isn't doing it. The other guy's "failure" looks like a pipe dream now.

If I’m buying out Stallings, it wouldn’t be for a mid major guy. I’m only doing it if I know I have a Matta etc in my back pocket. Just don’t like our odds of getting someone like that.

^^THIS^^
My choice would be Crean but...

Reactions: Ronnyp91
He wouldn't get us to the NCAAT 1/3 time. Maybe 1/5, but that option wouldn't even start until his 3rd year, so we'd be hoping 1/8 to start his tenure. That is failure.

Unfortunately, IMO KS"s recruiting good will window to even ever get a team to the NCAAT from Pitt has already closed.

Any one of these guys. Most PItt should be able to hire for the right money They all be upgrades over Stallings

Dan Hurley, Rhode Island

Hurley, 44, enters his sixth season at URI and has a chance to take the Rams to the NCAA tourney for the second consecutive year. Hurley's name carries some weight, and this season he has an opportunity to dominate the Atlantic 10 and be a fixture in the Top 25.

Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's

He has made the small school in Moraga, California, relevant nationally with its ability to remain fairly competitive with powerhouse Gonzaga in the WCC. Bennett has taken the Gaels to the NCAA tourney three of the past six seasons, and has gone to the NIT the other three years. There aren't many West Coast coaches with credentials comparable to Bennett's who might be willing to move for the right job.

Mark Schmidt, St. Bonaventure

He has been in Olean, New York, for a decade and has been consistently competitive in one of the most difficult jobs in the A-10. Schmidt is regarded within the industry as a terrific X's and O's guy who develops talent and runs a clean program. Schmidt took the Bonnies to the NCAA tourney in 2012 and has a team that could make a return trip this season. If that happens, he could become a hot name in the offseason.

Nevada

The former NBA head and assistant coach has been in the college ranks for the past five seasons. He's entering his third season as the head coach at Nevada and won 52 games in his first two, getting the Wolf Pack into the NCAA tournament last season. This season Nevada is co-favored with San Diego State to win the Mountain West, and that would put Musselman in solid position for a big job.

Earl Grant, Charleston

The former Wichita State and Clemson assistant took over at Charleston in 2014 after Doug Wojcik was fired, and has a team that is favored to win the CAA this season. Charleston went 25-10 in 2016-17 and went to the NIT, but an NCAA tournament appearance could put Grant on the radar of athletic directors with openings.

Lesser-known commodities
John Becker, Vermont

Becker has finished in the top three in the America East all six seasons he has been at Vermont and is coming off an NCAA tourney appearance -- his second with the Catamounts. He turned down Duquesne last offseason and could be a hot name if Vermont can make a return appearance in the tournament, which it's favored to do.

Nick McDevitt, UNC Asheville

McDevitt has been crushed like few others with his top players deciding to transfer up a level in recent years, but somehow he has survived and now has the Bulldogs favored to win the Big South. McDevitt is 38, went to the NCAA tournament in 2016 and could well go again.

Joe Dooley, Florida Gulf Coast

Dooley got the FGCU job in 2013, replacing Andy Enfield, and has gone to the NCAA tourney the past two seasons, Years 3 and 4 of his run with the Atlantic Sun program. Dooley has been in play for multiple jobs but hasn't been able to land one. It's difficult to imagine Dooley not being in the mix for more opportunities if he can make it three straight appearances in the Big Dance.

Any one of these guys. Most PItt should be able to hire for the right money They all be upgrades over Stallings

Dan Hurley, Rhode Island

Hurley, 44, enters his sixth season at URI and has a chance to take the Rams to the NCAA tourney for the second consecutive year. Hurley's name carries some weight, and this season he has an opportunity to dominate the Atlantic 10 and be a fixture in the Top 25.

Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's

He has made the small school in Moraga, California, relevant nationally with its ability to remain fairly competitive with powerhouse Gonzaga in the WCC. Bennett has taken the Gaels to the NCAA tourney three of the past six seasons, and has gone to the NIT the other three years. There aren't many West Coast coaches with credentials comparable to Bennett's who might be willing to move for the right job.

Mark Schmidt, St. Bonaventure

He has been in Olean, New York, for a decade and has been consistently competitive in one of the most difficult jobs in the A-10. Schmidt is regarded within the industry as a terrific X's and O's guy who develops talent and runs a clean program. Schmidt took the Bonnies to the NCAA tourney in 2012 and has a team that could make a return trip this season. If that happens, he could become a hot name in the offseason.

Nevada

The former NBA head and assistant coach has been in the college ranks for the past five seasons. He's entering his third season as the head coach at Nevada and won 52 games in his first two, getting the Wolf Pack into the NCAA tournament last season. This season Nevada is co-favored with San Diego State to win the Mountain West, and that would put Musselman in solid position for a big job.

Earl Grant, Charleston

The former Wichita State and Clemson assistant took over at Charleston in 2014 after Doug Wojcik was fired, and has a team that is favored to win the CAA this season. Charleston went 25-10 in 2016-17 and went to the NIT, but an NCAA tournament appearance could put Grant on the radar of athletic directors with openings.

Lesser-known commodities
John Becker, Vermont

Becker has finished in the top three in the America East all six seasons he has been at Vermont and is coming off an NCAA tourney appearance -- his second with the Catamounts. He turned down Duquesne last offseason and could be a hot name if Vermont can make a return appearance in the tournament, which it's favored to do.

Nick McDevitt, UNC Asheville

McDevitt has been crushed like few others with his top players deciding to transfer up a level in recent years, but somehow he has survived and now has the Bulldogs favored to win the Big South. McDevitt is 38, went to the NCAA tournament in 2016 and could well go again.

Joe Dooley, Florida Gulf Coast

Dooley got the FGCU job in 2013, replacing Andy Enfield, and has gone to the NCAA tourney the past two seasons, Years 3 and 4 of his run with the Atlantic Sun program. Dooley has been in play for multiple jobs but hasn't been able to land one. It's difficult to imagine Dooley not being in the mix for more opportunities if he can make it three straight appearances in the Big Dance.
Dooley is not having a good season so far.

Reactions: Chescat

Matta is just a Stallings who can recruit. Ditto for Crean.

And it is ludicrous to think Pitt can't become relevant again... soon. State of PA has a ton of bball talent. So what they aren't in Allegheny County? 90% of them are within a 3hr drive. Urban campus... nice facilities... good school. Everything needed for success. Paul Evans was able to get talent out of eastern PA and was playing in a high school gym and was a horrible coach. Dixon/Howland never took advantage of eastern PA - probably because they had no contacts and never bothered making contacts and were so arrogant they believed it was their magic coaching 8-ball that led to the early success.

Look at that dope at PSU. All he has is contacts and he's able to get talent. Pitt just needs to get the right guy. Stop ignoring reality.

ADVERTISEMENT