ADVERTISEMENT

OK, I will say it. Saquon Barkley is the most overrated player

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
in the last decade. He was a good back in college. Not great. He will be a good back in the NFL. Not great.

Look at Miles Sanders. Barkley was all hype.

Miles is a better all around back. Barkley would make 1 or 2 runs a game then he averaged 2.5 ypc on the other 90% of his runs.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I think he’s a good back, but there were Pitt fans on this board last year saying he would revolutionize the position in the NFL, which is just plain silly.

People said the same thing about Reggie Bush, they just didn’t understand the game at the next level.

Barkley’s best asset is his ability to return kicks, which no one wants to chance with the #2 overall pick. He either can’t or won’t run the ball inside the tackles, which neutralizes a lot of the things the offense can do.

You saw this last week when the Giants had Eli run the QB sneak on consecutive 4th and 1’s, something he is normally loathe to do. I thought the announcers should’ve made a note of that and say it’s something Barkley needs to improve on, but they were either too stupid or too afraid of criticizing him.

Barkley did the same thing in college as well. That's just his M.O.

Barry Sanders never had a good line either. If you are dumb enough to take a RB that high, he better be another Barry Sanders.

The giants OL May be the worst in the NFL. No exaggeration

Last edited:
The Giants are a mess. They gave Odell a massive contract yet their OLINE is complete trash and Eli is cooked. Luckily for them the next few years it looks like top 10 pick year after year

Reactions: cbpitt2
His ineffectiveness? The Giants offensive line is awful.

- a Ped State player is a bust in the NFL?
That’s hardly news.
Too early to say that about the much hyped Barkley.
I’d also back off anointing Sanders as a great back.- let’s see a few more games.

Last year I was wrong about Barkley - I bought into the hype.

Honestly, after watching him throughout his high school career, I said many times- he only runs very fast to the sideline and was soft. He's a completely different runner now.

200 yards 3 TDs on 22 carries (in 3 quarters). Most importantly, only 1 carry that was under 3 yards and he mostly ran between the tackles.

On the season 495 yards 9 TD on 7 ypc in 4 games.

- a Ped State player is a bust in the NFL?
That’s hardly news.
Too early to say that about the much hyped Barkley.
I’d also back off anointing Sanders as a great back.- let’s see a few more games.

Last year I was wrong about Barkley - I bought into the hype.

He has made one run for the Giants so far. He's averaging 2.5 ypc on 97% of his runs. That's a lot of plays the offense needs to run from behind the sticks because of his ineffectiveness 97% of the time.

Nice cherry picking.

For TWO years Barkley has been doing the same thing. Averaging 2 yards per carry and popping one or two long ones. The stats even in college were like clockwork.

So it’s not a suprise that it will continue. He lacks vision or instinct or something.

That said....he is incredibly dynamic and can Hit the home run at anytime. Also, I think he will catch a lot of passes.

So sure...he will be a highlight reel guy in the NFL too....just be ready for a lot of 1 and 2 yard runs.

in the last decade. He was a good back in college. Not great. He will be a good back in the NFL. Not great.

Look at Miles Sanders. Barkley was all hype.
I hate UPS more than the next guy. But I would wait 2 years, not 2 games to write off Barkley. The jury is still out. I will say the Giants are nuts to take him that high.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
For TWO years Barkley has been doing the same thing. Averaging 2 yards per carry and popping one or two long ones. The stats even in college were like clockwork.

Actually, that was the biggest criticism of Barry Sanders. He didn't consistently move the sticks. He would electrify you with 2 or 3 big plays, but the rest of the time, it was 2 yard gains, or getting tackled for a loss.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
This should be 3rd grade math but since you are struggling with this, I'll spell it out.

1 long run represents 3% of his carries.
97% represents all of the other carries.

When you apply 3 grade level math you get 100% of his carries.

Lol. So now 97% is considered his "whole body of work"? Take off the Pitt colored glasses, whatever color that is, we don't know.

Barkley reminds me of Keith Byers. Decent TB but a better all-around weapon when surrounded by talent and a creative offense. Byers had a nice career. If he stays healthy Barkley will as well. Maybe not Pro-Bowl caliber but still a very good career.

Yeah the Giants’ o line is weak. But I like to think Barkley’s weak game on the ground against Dallas was karma for his unnecessary cheap shot at “non-rival” Pitt to some Nitter NFL Network reporter. Like you’re a first round draft pick in the NFL now boss, why do you care to mention. They just love to indulge in themselves.

Actually, that was the biggest criticism of Barry Sanders. He didn't consistently move the sticks. He would electrify you with 2 or 3 big plays, but the rest of the time, it was 2 yard gains, or getting tackled for a loss.

Some of Barry Sanders and Walter Payton's best runs were just trying to get to the line of scrimmage because of their offensive line's blocking.

Technically, he's more if North Carolina kid who played high school football at Woodland Hills. Not quite Gronk playing 1 year at Woodland Hills but he grew up in NC.

I like Sanders A LOT! Good for him. Proud Pittsburgh kid. Think Frank Gore.

This should be 3rd grade math but since you are struggling with this, I'll spell it out.

1 long run represents 3% of his carries.
97% represents all of the other carries.

When you apply 3 grade level math you get 100% of his carries.

You can't take out anything if you are using his whole body of work. Not hard.

I'm a believer, drafting a RB in the first few rounds is dumb. If you have a line that is good at run blocking, most backs can do well and will set up the passing game. NFL is a passing league these days

Are you already drunk?

"He has made one run for the Giants so far. He's averaging 2.5 ypc on 97% of his runs"

That statement covers 100% of his carries (as explained by previous 3rd grade math example above). 100% of his runs is his "whole body of work". Maybe comprehension of percentages is 4th grade math but nonetheless.

You can't take out anything if you are using his whole body of work. Not hard.

Are you already drunk?

"He has made one run for the Giants so far. He's averaging 2.5 ypc on 97% of his runs"

That statement covers 100% of his carries (as explained by previous 3rd grade math example above). 100% of his runs is his "whole body of work". Maybe comprehension of percentages is 4th grade math but nonetheless.

Nope. The assertion is that Barkley stinks and it's based on 97% of his runs.

Reactions: Den of Hacks
Miles Sanders is really good. 1st or 2nd Round good.
Next week against Ohio State will be an enormous challenge and will be an indication if how good he really is.

He could rush 20 times for 45 yards and I wouldn't change my opinion. Sanders is supremely talented. I am shocked because I thought he was overrated. He's fast, strong, shifty, has it all really.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT