ADVERTISEMENT

ok so what have i missed

pitt90seven

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
been a little busy but i see we got a player or two or whatever. any guesses on starting 5 and 1st two off the bench? is there an ounce of hope that we don't finish dead last in the conference?

been a little busy but i see we got a player or two or whatever. any guesses on starting 5 and 1st two off the bench? is there an ounce of hope that we don't finish dead last in the conference?

With Stewart added, we now have some hope not to finish last.

A grad transfer big or 2 would help.

DT, what will move the needle? And give me real possibilities.

Probably nothing for this coming season, unfortunately. I just haven't seen us associated with anyone who does. There is talk of big guy from Germany. Maybe that true, and it's totally under the radar. But I just don't believe a difference maker is under the radar at this point.

My hopes are pinned on getting two legit 100 or better players in the 2018 class, and at least one other similar in profile to Golden.

At the moment, it looks like the BC-Pitt game will determine last place. If that game were held tomorrow, I suspect BC would be favored.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I don't know how he doesn't help at all...

He's supposed to be a really good shooter.

I didn't say he wouldn't really help "at all."

But let's not forget that he's a 200+ level recruit whose ability/speed to get his own shot is likely not going to be very ACC ready. That's going to take some time to develop.

What this most likely means is that any shooting impact he may have as a freshman will be reliant on others, and this team doesn't have much in terms of proven creators.

In total, I fear we are going to be a team that will really, really struggle to score.

Stewart won't play more than 5 minutes a game.

Actually, he just might have to. But on a fair (or better) ACC team, someone like Stewart would be better served to be a limited role player as a freshman -- someone who could hit some shots in the right situation.

Reactions: rockypanther
I didn't say he wouldn't really help "at all."

But let's not forget that he's a 200+ level recruit whose ability/speed to get his own shot is likely not going to be very ACC ready. That's going to take some time to develop.

What this most likely means is that any shooting impact he may have as a freshman will be reliant on others, and this team doesn't have much in terms of proven creators.

In total, I fear we are going to be a team that will really, really struggle to score.

Does that mean we won't be hearing Dick Groat saying this season: "Billy, these Panthers can flat-out shoot the basketball."

That's been one of his favorites - but mainly heard during OOC games over the last few years...

Go Pitt!

We have very different definitions of mediocre.

Making the dance 4/6 years isn't mediocre including a #1 seed in your timeline.
You're right that it has only been 6 seasons since the #1 seed, I miscounted on that. IMO, only one tourney win since then is pretty mediocre given that ~45% of major conference teams make the dance each year. As a whole, I think the period since the Butler loss has been pretty average.

Will we ever get back to 'average'? We shall see. I think we will.

LOL. I guess I must have missed the other 55 point loss we had during that time......
Last season was definitely a 'below'. That said, I don't care if they lose by 5 or 55. Pitt had plenty of doubt digit losses JD's last two seasons with that same squad. Let's face it, when the going got tough, our two leaders often got going. And not in a good way. If we see KS's own recruits show the same attitude in adversity, then I'll be very concerned.

Last season was definitely a 'below'. That said, I don't care if they lose by 5 or 55. Pitt had plenty of doubt digit losses JD's last two seasons with that same squad. Let's face it, when the going got tough, our two leaders often got going. And not in a good way. If we see KS's own recruits show the same attitude in adversity, then I'll be very concerned.
I can agree a L is a L, but as a season ticket holder I'd much rather sit through a 5 point loss than the travesty that was the Louisville game. God bless you if you can't see the distinction between the two. I also have a hard time just blaming the players. But you're right that we shall see what happens this year as the great majority of the bench will be Stallings guys.

I can agree a L is a L, but as a season ticket holder I'd much rather sit through a 5 point loss than the travesty that was the Louisville game. God bless you if you can't see the distinction between the two. I also have a hard time just blaming the players. But you're right that we shall see what happens this year as the great majority of the bench will be Stallings guys.

The last 2 players of Jamie's guys (Luther & Milligan) are on their way out soon as they are seniors.

DT, what will move the needle? And give me real possibilities.

Probably nothing for this coming season, unfortunately. I just haven't seen us associated with anyone who does. There is talk of big guy from Germany. Maybe that true, and it's totally under the radar. But I just don't believe a difference maker is under the radar at this point.

My hopes are pinned on getting two legit 100 or better players in the 2018 class, and at least one other similar in profile to Golden.

I agree. Stewart MAY be good eventually but this is still an 0-18 team. Maybe he gives us hope that he gets hot, hits 7 3s and we win 2 ACC games.

As I've stated before; I believe Dixon's mediocrity will be Stallings best. Hope I'm wrong.
You could be right. They certainly inherited very different situations to start. We'll see if Big Kev can dig his way out of his. I think he can certainly get us back to being an 8/9 type of seed every other year.

You could be right. They certainly inherited very different situations to start. We'll see if Big Kev can dig his way out of his. I think he can certainly get us back to being an 8/9 type of seed every other year.

Really? I have little confidence KS is capable of wining 20+ games with an ACC schedule. Hope I am wrong. Next season needs to be at least a game or two above 0.500 and the following year 20+ wins for me to believe KS will ever be able to get us to the NCAAs--much less on a regular basis.

Really? I have little confidence KS is capable of wining 20+ games with an ACC schedule. Hope I am wrong. Next season needs to be at least a game or two above 0.500 and the following year 20+ wins for me to believe KS will ever be able to get us to the NCAAs--much less on a regular basis.
Your at least a yr off on your time table . Just write off next yr and hope a couple of the freshmen are better than advertised . The following season they need to win at least 6 ACC games and be competitive with the bottom half of the conference . The recruiting seems to be getting better and next seasons class will tell you all you need to know if KS can be successful at Pitt .

at least these summer recruits provide a body for practice. maybe one of them pans out to be at least marginally useful in a game.

Your at least a yr off on your time table . Just write off next yr and hope a couple of the freshmen are better than advertised . The following season they need to win at least 6 ACC games and be competitive with the bottom half of the conference . The recruiting seems to be getting better and next seasons class will tell you all you need to know if KS can be successful at Pitt .
I'll remind you we won 4 acc games 4 starters who are better than what we will have

I'll remind you we won 4 acc games 4 starters who are better than what we will have
We don't know what any of these new players bring to the table or who will be in next yrs recruiting class . For KS to be successful here I don't think 6 conference wins in his third season is asking too much . If he goes 0-18 followed by 4-14 he's gone . Individual talent doesn't trump a team that plays together ( and defense ) ! I'm not predicting 6 wins in 2018 , but that's what KS needs to do to secure his job .

ADVERTISEMENT