ADVERTISEMENT

Old Guy View of NIL

Aug 2, 2019
Although I completely understand the reason these athletes should be able to profit during their collegiate careers , I believe it may erode the one aspect of college athletics that to me is the most important part of youth/collegiate sports. And that is the concept of teamwork. The ability to work with others in a team environment and with unity of purpose. The benefit of learning that concept is immeasurable as people go through life. If America needs anything in 2021, it is for people in all walks of life to get along, willing to do just their part to make society better. Those who have played sports usually have a big leg up on others when it comes to that.

I would love to see Pitt football vying for a national championship, like my teen years. But, that is not very plausible. However, in the big picture, when I root on another mediocre Pitt football team that seemingly has player after player who refuse to criticize coaches, have the backs of players that are playing ahead of them, never have a bad word to say about the football program while on the team, it at least gives me hope for their future and the way the Pitt program is run. If sports are to teach life lessons, and I believe they should, that is invaluable.

I wonder over time how much this will erode team comradery, selflessness, and the team concept. When all the players are in the same boat it is easier. Kudos to Pickett for taking the lead with his first action getting a promotion for his offensive line. But, over time, when a quarterback is making $1M at some schools and the offensive guard is making nothing does it destroy the concept of teamwork? When will the first Antonio Brown player put locker room only stuff on their social media trying to gain more followers? There is a reason that pro sports have lost a lot of luster for many folks, to include me.

And, it is not just football. Many athletes in all collegiate sports are inspiring for the right reason to younger athletes. Will many of them have unrealistic expectations? Will the genuine enjoyment of playing a sport they love to play while attending college, be hindered with profit a goal? It will be interesting to see.

Narduzzi has sold and players have bought into the family and team concept at Pitt. Will he be able to continue that when players will see and hear the great financial rewards for players on huge football factories with massive donors at places like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, etc.. Time will tell.

Although I completely understand the reason these athletes should be able to profit during their collegiate careers , I believe it may erode the one aspect of college athletics that to me is the most important part of youth/collegiate sports. And that is the concept of teamwork. The ability to work with others in a team environment and with unity of purpose. The benefit of learning that concept is immeasurable as people go through life. If America needs anything in 2021, it is for people in all walks of life to get along, willing to do just their part to make society better. Those who have played sports usually have a big leg up on others when it comes to that.

I would love to see Pitt football vying for a national championship, like my teen years. But, that is not very plausible. However, in the big picture, when I root on another mediocre Pitt football team that seemingly has player after player who refuse to criticize coaches, have the backs of players that are playing ahead of them, never have a bad word to say about the football program while on the team, it at least gives me hope for their future and the way the Pitt program is run. If sports are to teach life lessons, and I believe they should, that is invaluable.

I wonder over time how much this will erode team comradery, selflessness, and the team concept. When all the players are in the same boat it is easier. Kudos to Pickett for taking the lead with his first action getting a promotion for his offensive line. But, over time, when a quarterback is making $1M at some schools and the offensive guard is making nothing does it destroy the concept of teamwork? When will the first Antonio Brown player put locker room only stuff on their social media trying to gain more followers? There is a reason that pro sports have lost a lot of luster for many folks, to include me.

And, it is not just football. Many athletes in all collegiate sports are inspiring for the right reason to younger athletes. Will many of them have unrealistic expectations? Will the genuine enjoyment of playing a sport they love to play while attending college, be hindered with profit a goal? It will be interesting to see.

Narduzzi has sold and players have bought into the family and team concept at Pitt. Will he be able to continue that when players will see and hear the great financial rewards for players on huge football factories with massive donors at places like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, etc.. Time will tell.
Yep

Agreed. College sports, at least football and bball, have fallen quite a ways over the past few decades. I really find it difficult to care as much as I used to. I still watch and follow Pitt but my interest across the sports has dwindled to almost zero. There used to be a big distinction between college and pro sports. Now it has blurred to the point where I'd just rather watch the pros (unless Pitt is involved).

Is getting a free education fair compensation for playing a sport? I don't know, but if the athletes don't think so they are not required to play. They can always work at McDonald's and pay for their college education.

Fairness is sometimes overrated.

Is getting a free education fair compensation for playing a sport? I don't know, but if the athletes don't think so they are not required to play. They can always work at McDonald's and pay for their college education.

Yeah. I get what you are saying. In our desire for "fairness" becomes sometimes chaos, and when it damages the product so much, then really it ruins it and then there is no worries about being "fair" because the money is gone or less. It is called killing the golden goose.

I don't really see the NIL having the big scary impact everyone thought it would and Pitt is doing a nice job with helping the kids market themselves. If CFB has a faction that breaks off and becomes a semi-pro venture, Pitt football will still exist in some form. I'll still be a fan.

It's just further stratification of talent. First you had the ability to leave early, then open season on transfers, and now NIL. I'm not saying any individual piece is bad or wrong. But it further distances the big programs from the rest.

I'll always be a fan but my rooting interest will take a big hit if Pitt is competing in a lower tier.

Yeah. I get what you are saying. In our desire for "fairness" becomes sometimes chaos, and when it damages the product so much, then really it ruins it and then there is no worries about being "fair" because the money is gone or less. It is called killing the golden goose.

Right. These teams who would want a bigger share of the revenue, a larger tier, must realize that relegating a large portion of the other teams will hurt them in the long run.

Reactions: JS School
That hasn't been true for a really long time.
Not sure what you mean by this. I don't know of a lot of non-athletes that are getting a free college education, other than the very academically gifted. And I don't know of a lot of athletes being offered a scholarship and saying forget it, the college is not being fair with that offer.

It's just further stratification of talent. First you had the ability to leave early, then open season on transfers, and now NIL. I'm not saying any individual piece is bad or wrong. But it further distances the big programs from the rest.

I'll always be a fan but my rooting interest will take a big hit if Pitt is competing in a lower tier.
I don't think we know the answer to that yet. The majority of the most valuable deals have gone to non-revenue athletes so far because they already have a significant social media following or are at the top of their sport.

Not sure what you mean by this. I don't know of a lot of non-athletes that are getting a free college education, other than the very academically gifted. And I don't know of a lot of athletes being offered a scholarship and saying forget it, the college is not being fair with that offer.
You said people can work at McDonald's to pay for college. That's not even remotely possible. You're getting loans or grants, coming from a position of wealth, or you're just not going to college if you don't have a scholarship.

And yes, kids walk away from athletic scholarships or just don't pursue them because of the sacrifices involved. My best friend's son walked away from a full D1 scholarship because even with non-revenue sports, it's a huge time commitment. He felt his school work was more important and wanted to get involved in earning some money sooner (pre-NIL). You just don't read about these kids because we follow sports that don't have that happen very often.

Reactions: pitt90seven
You said people can work at McDonald's to pay for college. That's not even remotely possible. You're getting loans or grants, coming from a position of wealth, or you're just not going to college if you don't have a scholarship.

And yes, kids walk away from athletic scholarships or just don't pursue them because of the sacrifices involved. My best friend's son walked away from a full D1 scholarship because even with non-revenue sports, it's a huge time commitment. He felt his school work was more important and wanted to get involved in earning some money sooner (pre-NIL). You just don't read about these kids because we follow sports that don't have that happen very often.
You are reading way too much into what I wrote. My only point was that a kid that wants to play in college isn't walking away from a scholarship to work in a fast food restaurant, just because he thinks he deserves more than just an education from a school that is profiting off of him.

Sometimes the best deal is the one you can get, not the one you deserve. College sports may suffer in the long run from people trying to give kids what they think they deserve.

You are reading way too much into what I wrote. My only point was that a kid that wants to play in college isn't walking away from a scholarship to work in a fast food restaurant, just because he thinks he deserves more than just an education from a school that is profiting off of him.

Sometimes the best deal is the one you can get, not the one you deserve. College sports may suffer in the long run from people trying to give kids what they think they deserve.
Forgive me for reading more into it but I don't think the NIL does anything more than cut out the middle man. In the past, that money trickled down in the form of perks. If the kids can get a straight cut, more power to them.

Well, for one thing, you can’t pay anywhere near the cost of a college education any more with a job at McDonald’s, or most any job a college student can get in the summer unless, say, you are an intern at Goldman Sachs.

Well, for one thing, you can’t pay anywhere near the cost of a college education any more with a job at McDonald’s, or most any job a college student can get in the summer unless, say, you are an intern at Goldman Sachs.
Does anyone understand sarcasm anymore?

• Haha
Reactions: BPKY

But it clearly isn't fair compensation for playing a sport. There is a governing body that is prohibiting the fair market compensation is for many athletes. That's the entire point. Remove those barriers and you will truly see what "fair" compensation for these kids. No one is forcing schools, donors, or other businesses to pay these kids. But if the NCAA didn't have restrictions on direct player compensation then many of these schools and other entities would do exactly that. That's how you know that "free education" isn't their market value.

People demand individual freedom and free market access in every other institution in this country, except for college sports because those restrictions don't affect their lives.

But it clearly isn't fair compensation for playing a sport. There is a governing body that is prohibiting the fair market compensation is for many athletes. That's the entire point. Remove those barriers and you will truly see what "fair" compensation for these kids. No one is forcing schools, donors, or other businesses to pay these kids. But if the NCAA didn't have restrictions on direct player compensation then many of these schools and other entities would do exactly that. That's how you know that "free education" isn't their market value.

People demand individual freedom and free market access in every other institution in this country, except for college sports because those restrictions don't affect their lives.
Really, individual freedom and free market access exists in every other institution in this country?

my town's girls soccer team finished as a state runner-up. my buddy's daughter was a junior and i asked where the seniors were playing in college (obviously they had some good players who could make it at the next level). "none of them. they don't want to make the time commitment to play in college. want to go to college for the academics and have fun in their spare time."

Reactions: pittdan77

This may be a stupid question but what is to prevent an alumnus from signing a star athlete to an NIL agreement for his restaurant, insurance agency, etc. but not actually requiring anything of the athlete going forward? Said athlete could pocket six figures with zero effort. Won't this essentially legitimize the infamous college alumnus "bag man"?

mahomes makes $45m and there are guys on his team making league minimum. been going on for a long time and they deal with it just fine. i don't see the problem.

Minor league baseball could be considered as a similar model. Some players are multi-millionaires while others are living at the poverty line. In most cases, the wealthy players will take care of the poor ones. I'm not sure how that would negatively impact teamwork.

Reactions: pitt90seven
I don't really see the NIL having the big scary impact everyone thought it would and Pitt is doing a nice job with helping the kids market themselves. If CFB has a faction that breaks off and becomes a semi-pro venture, Pitt football will still exist in some form. I'll still be a fan.
Give it time. It's brand new.

Reactions: pittdan77

But there is another thing.....the sport, team sports (individual is different) rely on competitive balance in some form to have an attractive product. When you don't have that, interest will wane. When interest wanes, revenue falls. When revenue falls, now you are on a path towards the destruction of the sport.

So it is sharp knife edge to walk. Life ain't always fair. If I am a brilliant scientist and I develop a product that is revolutionary, my company patents it, and gets the revenue. My idea is actually owned by them. I just hope in their good grace that they compensate me some form of bonus that is rewarding enough. That is sort of what like college sports is.

Again, I am moving away from the "workers of the world unite" mantra and less chaos towards more control and order, because I see what is happening when you don't have it. People and corporations (which Universities have become) devour its own just to get more. And in a free market for product and services, that is one thing. But for a sport, a team sport where that is the product, then it doesn't work so well.

Reactions: Conemaugh
But there is another thing.....the sport, team sports (individual is different) rely on competitive balance in some form to have an attractive product. When you don't have that, interest will wane. When interest wanes, revenue falls. When revenue falls, now you are on a path towards the destruction of the sport.

So it is sharp knife edge to walk. Life ain't always fair. If I am a brilliant scientist and I develop a product that is revolutionary, my company patents it, and gets the revenue. My idea is actually owned by them. I just hope in their good grace that they compensate me some form of bonus that is rewarding enough. That is sort of what like college sports is.

Again, I am moving away from the "workers of the world unite" mantra and less chaos towards more control and order, because I see what is happening when you don't have it. People and corporations (which Universities have become) devour its own just to get more. And in a free market for product and services, that is one thing. But for a sport, a team sport where that is the product, then it doesn't work so well.
How is the competitive balance between Alabama and Akron? How about OSU and Rutgers? USC and Colorado? The idea that there is parity in college football is laughable. This isn't anything new, look at any 10-15 year period and you will see roughly the same number of schools reaching a top 10 finish during that span as any other 10-15 year period.

Why would any of it change if the players are the ones receiving the advertising and sponsorship opportunities rather than the coaches and universities?

If you are a brilliant scientist there is no organization governing every research institute that decides your salary and makes it so that you can't negotiate for better terms or a share in licensing revenue. There is no organization that says that you can't write a book under your own name or create a series of dorm room cooking tutorials on Youtube and profit from 15 second ads that are shown on it. They didn't forbid your employer from offering you medical coverage or a multi-year salary for DECADES giving you little job security.

I agree that a free-for-all is the 2nd worst thing that can happen to college sports, the worst being status quo. The NCAA had decades of exploding revenue to find a solution that was more equitable to those generating that revenue but sat on the hands and let the money pour in. They could have created a system where money was split evenly among the players, or held in a trust until graduation, or any number of other solutions that could be framed to be more in line with "amateurism".

Reactions: singregardless
It's going to make the divide bigger, advertisers in Alabama will pay more for a Bama players endorsement, than any Pitt player could ever get.

It's going to make the divide bigger, advertisers in Alabama will pay more for a Bama players endorsement, than any Pitt player could ever get.
Possibly. But a few monied boosters can make a world of difference.

One huge thing now working in Pitt's favor, if you were a college kid with thousands of $$$, would you rather spend your free time in Tuscaloosa, Tallahassee, South Bend. or Pittsburgh?
To a college student on a budget, there probably isn't a lot of difference. With the NIL, that may change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT