ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Wrestling Early Results

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Since the matches are in the middle of the night Pittsburgh time, I am posting the results:

Spencer Lee won a tight match at 57kgs in the Quarters, 3-2 over a Chinese wrestler. He faces a wrestler from Kurgistan in the Quarters. Update: watching Lee live. He leads 8-2. And, just like that he wins 12-2 on a TF. He is in the semifinals.

Aaron Brooks also won his quarters and is in the semifinals. I didn’t see his matches.

Helene Maroulis became the third American woman to make the finals with two wins today.

Other Americans wrestling for other countries: Roman Bravo Young (Mexico) got boat raced 13-3 by a wrestler from Armenia. His speed wasn’t very useful while on his back the whole match. Darian Cruz wrestled for Puerto Rico and also got teched 12-2. He did beat an Egyptian wrestler in the first round. One of the 20 or so Amines wrestling is representing a country whose name I didn’t catch (maybe Syria). He has reached the semis in the same weight class as Brooks.

Spencer Lee with another dominant performance TF to get to the finals. Almost better than the match was Tom Brands trying to talk to him after the match while he was heading to the locker room, and Lee pointedly ignoring him.

Aaron Brooks lost to a Bulgarian in the last 5 seconds, letting a 3-2 lead slip away. Too bad because I was looking forward to the Iranian and him in the finals. The Iranian destroyed Amine, who was wrestling for San Marino not Syria. Amine and Brooks will meet for the bronze medal.

Other wrestling weights start tomorrow.

The lack of senior level FS experience showed late in the match for Brooks with the ankle grab. That move works in folkstyle but in FS he needed to elevate to protect from the turn.

Reactions: persp
Spencer Lee with another dominant performance TF to get to the finals. Almost better than the match was Tom Brands trying to talk to him after the match while he was heading to the locker room, and Lee pointedly ignoring him.

Aaron Brooks lost to a Bulgarian in the last 5 seconds, letting a 3-2 lead slip away. Too bad because I was looking forward to the Iranian and him in the finals. The Iranian destroyed Amine, who was wrestling for San Marino not Syria. Amine and Brooks will meet for the bronze medal.

Other wrestling weights start tomorrow.
There are two bronze medals awarded in wrestling so Brooks and Amine will not be wrestling, Brooks will face the winner of Javrail Shapiev from Uzbekistan vs Alex Moore from Canada which will be Shapiev.

The good news in today’s early (in America) bouts is that wrestling fans no longer will have to suffer watching Mason Parris, who lost decisively to a Mongolian wrestler in his first match. He will get to wrestle in the repecharge but thankfully those aren’t telecast. He was the first American to lose before the semis.

Kyle Dake was impressive in a ho-hum, what else is new 10-0 win. An American woman named Miracle won her first match.

Snyder and Retherford haven’t wrestled yet.

China is winning gold medals in events no one watches like weight lifting and Taekwondo plus their usual mountain of gold medals in table tennis and the diving events, the number of which seems to double at each Olympics. They also have surprisingly gotten good in what has been the European dominated event of canoe sprinting. It’s going to take at least 3 more wrestling golds plus a strong track and field performance, two BB gold medals and one more women’s team gold in volleyball to beat them for the most golds if they win the remaining events in which they are favored.

We will win the most medals, but almost the whole world lists team results by the number of gold medals won.

The good news in today’s early (in America) bouts is that wrestling fans no longer will have to suffer watching Mason Parris, who lost decisively to a Mongolian wrestler in his first match. He will get to wrestle in the repecharge but thankfully those aren’t telecast. He was the first American to lose before the semis.

Kyle Dake was impressive in a ho-hum, what else is new 10-0 win. An American woman named Miracle won her first match.

Snyder and Retherford haven’t wrestled yet.

China is winning gold medals in events no one watches like weight lifting and Taekwondo plus their usual mountain of gold medals in table tennis and the diving events, the number of which seems to double at each Olympics. They also have surprisingly gotten good in what has been the European dominated event of canoe sprinting. It’s going to take at least 3 more wrestling golds plus a strong track and field performance, two BB gold medals and one more women’s team gold in volleyball to beat them for the most golds if they win the remaining events in which they are favored.

We will win the most medals, but almost the whole world lists team results by the number of gold medals won.
Mason did not get pulled back in after Munkhtur lost in the quarters.

Another bad match for Dake in the Olympics, he just seems to have these matches against guys he should dominate.

Can’t decide whether to root for Lee or not. My personal dealings with him and seeing his interactions with others…just rubbed me wrong.

The lack of senior level FS experience showed late in the match for Brooks with the ankle grab. That move works in folkstyle but in FS he needed to elevate to protect from the turn.
Exactly what I said when I saw it. In freestyle you have to try to finish if you shoot. The top guys will turn you if you stop like that.

He tried to hang on in the end in both matches instead continuing to work to score as well. Running at the end rarely works out. Hope he learned that lesson

Exactly what I said when I saw it. In freestyle you have to try to finish if you shoot. The top guys will turn you if you stop like that.

He tried to hang on in the end in both matches instead continuing to work to score as well. Running at the end rarely works out. Hope he learned that lesson
When I watched the match, I didn’t see it as Brooks taking a shot, but more like he got snapped down to both knees, so grabbed the leg as a hail mary…and unfortunately couldn’t capitalize on it.

Zain Retherford got absolutely abused by an Iranian wrestler in his first round match. Lost 8-0 and I don’t think he ever took a shot.

Kyle Snyder won his first two matches. In semis against a wrestler who beat him by a TF in the worlds. Win or lose, he will wrestle for a medal. The women’s final wrestler, Kennedy Blades, also is in the semis.

Pending their matches, America has one Silver and one Bronze (Two if Dake wins) in an Olympics with no Russian wrestlers. Last time the Russians didn’t wrestle, 1984, there were more weight classes and I believe we won 7 Golds.

The women won two Golds and one Bronze along with whatever Blades does.

Last edited:
Zain Retherford got absolutely abused by an Iranian wrestler in his first round match. Lost 8-0 and I don’t think he ever took a shot.

Kyle Snyder won his first two matches. In semis against a wrestler who beat him by a TF in the worlds. Win or lose, he will wrestle for a medal. The women’s final wrestler, Kennedy Blades, also is in the semis.

Pending their matches, America has one Silver and one Bronze (Two if Dake wins) in an Olympics with no Russian wrestlers. Last time the Russians didn’t wrestle, 1984, there were more weight classes and I believe we won 7 Golds.

The women won two Golds and one Bronze along with whatever Blades does.
That was my worry for Zain; his weight cut is brutal, and if he is not perfect, he is a shell of himself.

So Kyle Snyder lost meaning no gold medals for the US Men in an Olympics where there were no Russian wrestlers. Absolutely terrible results. Japan along with Iran have replaced us as the main competition for Russia.

Japan has been dominant in women’s wrestling, but the US matched them in these Olympics and still have Kennedy Blaze in the finals tomorrow.

Japan has 5 gold medals with 2 more wrestlers going for Gold tomorrow.

Time for Dake, Retherford and Snyder to leave their shoes on the mat?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: jctrack
So Kyle Snyder lost meaning no gold medals for the US Men in an Olympics where there were no Russian wrestlers. Absolutely terrible results. Japan along with Iran have replaced us as the main competition for Russia.

Japan has been dominant in women’s wrestling, but the US matched them in these Olympics and still have Kennedy Blaze in the finals tomorrow.

Is there any place where the bracket are shown? I assume Taylor lost but what happened with Dake?

Snyder is only 28 and has stated he wants to wrestle into his 30s but Brooks is going up to 92 next year and plans to go 97 in 2028. Retherford has a job waiting on Wall Street and almost retired after winning gold at 70kg last year. Dake is interesting because guys usually commit for the quad and he is 33 so I could see him hanging it up but he talks a lot about a lot of bull shit about feeling great and getting "younger" so who knows with his dad dying this year.

65 and 74 are the two toughest weights in the world and I am not sure who the US has 65 who is better but 74 looks loaded.

From another article: “Retherford suffered a concussion while training in preparation for the Olympic Games and had recovered prior to the competition. During his bout against Amouzadkhali, his injury symptoms returned. With support of his coaches and in consultation with medical staff, the decision was made for Retherford to withdraw from the tournament. Following the decision, Retherford expressed his gratitude to the Team USA fans, coaches, support staff and his family for the continued support and encouragement during this time.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT