ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Night Thoughts....

pittjas

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2016
Pittsburgh
I actually meant to make this post last night, but I got busy and ended up falling asleep on the couch...

But the excitement and hope I was feeling for the season ahead had me thinking about how long it had been since I had felt that way about a Pitt basketball season beginning...

...and how many miserable games and seasons had been in between.

But this also reminded me of how much our connection to our teams can go beyond winning and losing. Sure, we all follow our teams to see them win. And at some point, it isn't worth carving time out of your day to make the trek to the Pete to see Pitt lose to Niagara or see a Kevin Stallings led team take on Wake Forest in front of 1,500 people. But for many, your fandom of Pitt has a deeper connection than solely winning and losing. Reconnecting with old friends. Going to games with a parent/son/sibling. Getting you through hard times. Etc.

And so last night I was thinking about those connections of mine, and also the boards on here. I love (and spend a lot of time) with the Panther-lair community, but especially appreciate the basketball side. I love basketball, and there's a smaller but more hardcore group over here. And especially over the last several years. There's been a group of us who love basketball and Pitt basketball, and have spent a lot of nights bitching together looking forward to the days (which felt so far away at times) like the night in Dayton in March or tonight.

..which then made me think of how sad it is that @Drew1208 isn't here to enjoy these times with us. I never met him in person, but spent many nights on here chatting with him between the hours of midnight and 3 am about (shitty) Pitt basketball teams. Man do I wish he was here to enjoy this and participate in the threads, and I hope he's enjoying the hell out of this whereever he's at.

And on a more positive note, glad to have you back @HOF Coach !!!

Okay, enough of the sappy stuff...

Thoughts on the game and season itsself:

1.) NC A&T SUCKS. But we've struggled with similar teams in the very recent past. While we shouldn't get carried away, we also shouldn't take for granted a truly dominating performance.

2.) I think we actually have a better and more talented team than last year. Now, this doesn't mean I'm confident we'll have a better season. Our experienced guards won us a lot of close games last year... so it remains to be seen how our guard play holds up against P6 competition. But in terms of pure talent and athleticism? We're better.

3.) I started buying the Bub hype a few weeks ago and I'm glad I did. He's a stud. We've had good freshmen performances recently (out of necessity at times) from guys like X and Trey... but the game never looked easy like the way it did to Bub tonight. He'll surely have struggles I'm sure when the competition gets tougher but man is he talented.

4.) That leads me to Blake. I always feel conflicted about him. On one hand, I love who he is as a person and competitor, and his fearlessness and ability to shoot the basketball is amazing. He's so easy to root for. But at times recently, I've thought he may be a tad overrated, at least when it comes to things like All American or Conference Player of the year talks. I just don't know how great of a player he is beyond making crazy shots. And don't get me wrong, this is an incredibly useful skill for our team - and opens up many other things. But a player in the discussion for those types of things should be able to do more and create more IMO. Which is why Bub is already our best player, at least in my opinion. Still love Blake though. Do hope he isn't TOO focused on trying to prove he can drive that he passes up the shots that make him who he is.

5.) When the 3 bounced on the rim before falling in to give Bub the triple double, it was almost as if it was scripted. Much like Fisch's finger roll last year. Almost like symbols that the program is finally on the other end of the luck spectrum after so many years of crazy injuries, suspensions, bounces, sexual encounters (lol), etc.

6.) It is amazing the effect the Diaz Graham brothers have on other people. Now seems like the second season of the team kind of rallying around them and their goofy energy.

7.) Overall, it seems like another group that will be very easy to root for. Just seem like a bunch of guys truly happy to play with each other and for Pitt. So, so refreshing after what we've gone through in this category.

8.) Hopefully Lowe can get comfortable through OOC play as we'll need him to be the primary ballhandler at times in key situations. You can see that he'll be good and how he understands the game, but it speeds up for him at times. Understandable but we'll need to grow up quick.

What a fun night. Looking forward to many more fun nights and discussing them with you all afterwards - H2P!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News