ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Tshiebwe with an interesting decision

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
He is going to go through the draft process but not ruling out a return. He is that type of college basketball player that may be worth more in college than in the pros. With Kentucky NIL money, I would think he would make $1 million + in Lexington next year and if they won a Natty, his legacy down there will be worth even more. In the NBA, he may be a mid 2nd Rounder, may be a 2 way deal player making less than at UK.

Guys like this are all over college basketball and its one reason we aren't very far away from a Levance Fields-type player suing the NCAA for denying him a right to earn a living after his 4 years a done. There are plenty of Fields/Krauser/Gibbs/Knight players out there who can make six figures in college but not much in the lower Euro leagues.

Im pretty sure he’s making a shitload in NIL right now, even with the citizenship issues.

Im pretty sure he’s making a shitload in NIL right now, even with the citizenship issues
So many of these guys in college basketball. You look at a guy like Luka Garza. He's making $925,000 this year. Lets say he had an extra year. Transferring to a blue blood or SEC school and making $1 million and being a college kid for another year seems like a pretty good gig

Reactions: rockypanther
He is going to go through the draft process but not ruling out a return. He is that type of college basketball player that may be worth more in college than in the pros. With Kentucky NIL money, I would think he would make $1 million + in Lexington next year and if they won a Natty, his legacy down there will be worth even more. In the NBA, he may be a mid 2nd Rounder, may be a 2 way deal player making less than at UK.

Guys like this are all over college basketball and its one reason we aren't very far away from a Levance Fields-type player suing the NCAA for denying him a right to earn a living after his 4 years a done. There are plenty of Fields/Krauser/Gibbs/Knight players out there who can make six figures in college but not much in the lower Euro leagues.
Drew Timme is a similar type guy, he opted to come back this year but has now declared for the draft. I agree that the NIL is a game changer for guys like that who are hugely productive in college but may not be a 1st round pick.

Drew Timme is a similar type guy, he opted to come back this year but has now declared for the draft. I agree that the NIL is a game changer for guys like that who are hugely productive in college but may not be a 1st round pick.
This is a basketball-only phenomenon I think as the only guys in football I can see benefitting is that elite college QB whose game doesn't translate to the NFL. I dont see some elite college DB or WR or RB who is worth $1 million in college but not much in the NFL.

Reactions: rockypanther
This is a basketball-only phenomenon I think as the only guys in football I can see benefitting is that elite college QB whose game doesn't translate to the NFL. I dont see some elite college DB or WR or RB who is worth $1 million in college but not much in the NFL.
Johnny Manziel would be a good example.

So you think a center that blocks everything, dunks everything, rebounds everything isn’t valuable in the NBA? Tell me you don’t know anything about the NBA without telling me.

He’s Steven Adams on steroids. Which to you doesn’t mean much, but to an NBA team…

let’s say he’s JUST Steven Adams (which he won’t be, he’ll be much better). The decision to come back to Kentucky even if he it’s a million dollar NIL costs him 16.5 mill in long term earnings in the NBA.

So you think a center that blocks everything, dunks everything, rebounds everything isn’t valuable in the NBA? Tell me you don’t know anything about the NBA without telling me.

He’s Steven Adams on steroids. Which to you doesn’t mean much, but to an NBA team…

let’s say he’s JUST Steven Adams (which he won’t be, he’ll be much better). The decision to come back to Kentucky even if he it’s a million dollar NIL costs him 16.5 mill in long term earnings in the NBA.
Its hard for me to believe he isnt a 1st Rounder but mocks have him in the 2nd. If he's a true 2nd rounder, he may make more by coming back and maybe even increasing his stock

Its hard for me to believe he isnt a 1st Rounder but mocks have him in the 2nd. If he's a true 2nd rounder, he may make more by coming back and maybe even increasing his stock
First round second round doesn’t matter. He’s gonna play in the league 15 years. It’s roughly a 20 million dollar mistake to come back to Kentucky

First round second round doesn’t matter. He’s gonna play in the league 15 years. It’s roughly a 20 million dollar mistake to come back to Kentucky
How much is he going to make as a 2nd Rounder next year? My point is that if he can make more at Kentucky and possibly win a NC and improve his stock, why not?

How much is he going to make as a 2nd Rounder next year? My point is that if he can make more at Kentucky and possibly win a NC and improve his stock, why not?
Lol, you’re not getting this. The initial contract is irrelevant. He’s taking a year of earning potential off the table on the back end of his career. Getting the quickest he can to his 2nd and 3rd contracts is what he needs to do. What more could he do at Kentucky to improve his draft potential? He was consensus national player of the year. My goodness, for someone who claims to know hoops…

Lol, you’re not getting this. The initial contract is irrelevant. He’s taking a year of earning potential off the table on the back end of his career. Getting the quickest he can to his 2nd and 3rd contracts is what he needs to do. What more could he do at Kentucky to improve his draft potential? He was consensus national player of the year. My goodness, for someone who claims to know hoops…
I think he's going pro. But people have made dumb decisions to stay and dumb decisions to leave. If the kid can make $1 million at Kentucky, heck maybe $2 million and possibly improve his stock (and I don't think he can improve his stock), he very well could come back. There will be players like Tshiebwe who will come back for NIL, not necessarily him. The underlying point of this post is that college basketball is unique in there are many college players who will be able to make more money in college than in the G league or Euro leagues.

Yeah the NIL is interesting in some ways as it could keep guys in school. I mean, if you can paid $1 Million and play nightly in front of 20K and national TV rather than get paid the same, and play in Fort Wayne, Oshkosh or Grand Rapids in front of 4K and no TV.........

There is this little thing about class and grades, but seriously does that even matter at all any more??

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Though it says alot about the NBA when guys like Cockburn and Tshiebwe are fringe draft picks and NBA, it is a different sport than what I grew up with.

Would Patrick Ewing or Shaq even be a #1 overall pick anymore, or would some 6'10" slick shooting Euro be drafted over them?

Yeah the NIL is interesting in some ways as it could keep guys in school. I mean, if you can paid $1 Million and play nightly in front of 20K and national TV rather than get paid the same, and play in Fort Wayne, Oshkosh or Grand Rapids in front of 4K and no TV.........

There is this little thing about class and grades, but seriously does that even matter at all any more??
Well, a guy who can make 7 figures in college would be on an NBA roster. Tshiebwe will be on an NBA roster or on a 2 way playing mostly in the NBA.

But, there's scores of players who are worth $100K or so who are G-league at best, so why leave? A WVU poster on the other board said they had several players making 6 figures. Not sure if that's true but I wouldn't doubt it.

Reactions: bayardstreet
Though it says alot about the NBA when guys like Cockburn and Tshiebwe are fringe draft picks and NBA, it is a different sport than what I grew up with.

Would Patrick Ewing or Shaq even be a #1 overall pick anymore, or would some 6'10" slick shooting Euro be drafted over them?
I watched Cockburn up close twice. He's slow and doesn't have great footwork. He'll play in the NBA but he's a backup/bottom of roster guy. Great college dude though

I think he's going pro. But people have made dumb decisions to stay and dumb decisions to leave. If the kid can make $1 million at Kentucky, heck maybe $2 million and possibly improve his stock (and I don't think he can improve his stock), he very well could come back. There will be players like Tshiebwe who will come back for NIL, not necessarily him. The underlying point of this post is that college basketball is unique in there are many college players who will be able to make more money in college than in the G league or Euro leagues.
So your entire premise of him having a tough decision (he doesn’t, he needs to go) was stupid. Got it

Reactions: Dark Days
Its tough because he probably likes playing at Kentucky and can possibly make more next year than in the NBA and win a NC, which you cant put a price on.
Probably and possibly are the terms you use, and you have no way of knowing whether either one is true. Total conjecture on your part, with no evidence to support either.

Probably and possibly are the terms you use, and you have no way of knowing whether either one is true. Total conjecture on your part, with no evidence to support either.
i have no idea what Oscar will do, but he doesn’t have a decision. He has to go pro. Going back to Kentucky would be a 20 million dollar error

You think a Pitt basketball fan has hard evidence on a Kentucky player's financials? This is a message board. We discuss Pitt and college bball topics as fans.

I know one of this kid’s 1st American coaches and let’s just say he’s not always done what’s best for himself but rather tries to please the people around him. Moronic decision to go back to UK. As @BballinsiderfromPitt said kid is a 10-15 year NBA player.

Reactions: PA Schlem
I love your posts but I don’t think with the current NBA he is anything more than a role player for 7-10 seasons and I think he is a mid second round pick at best. Teams don’t use players like him much anymore. Same reason why I don’t think Kofi Cockburn will do much in the NBA.

I love your posts but I don’t think with the current NBA he is anything more than a role player for 7-10 seasons and I think he is a mid second round pick at best. Teams don’t use players like him much anymore. Same reason why I don’t think Kofi Cockburn will do much in the NBA.
I don’t mean this to be rude but have you watched Oscar play? He runs, screens, catches, catches lobs rebounds and blocks shots. He’s Steven Adams on steroids and Adams makes 17.5 mill and plays 26 mins a game. Plus he’s a good dude. Not sure how he doesn’t have a role on a team, unless we’re saying the same thing.

regardless he does nothing by coming back another yead

Reactions: Wanstash21
When was the last time you heard about a football or basketball player being academically ineligible. That kind of thing rarely happens anymore

I don’t mean this to be rude but have you watched Oscar play? He runs, screens, catches, catches lobs rebounds and blocks shots. He’s Steven Adams on steroids and Adams makes 17.5 mill and plays 26 mins a game. Plus he’s a good dude. Not sure how he doesn’t have a role on a team, unless we’re saying the same thing.

regardless he does nothing by coming back another yead
I think he has a role on a team. I am just not sure he will be a starter making the big bucks.

True, the game has changed. But the C position is having a renaissance right now. The top three vote getters for this year's MVP are all going to be 6'11" or taller.

True, the game has changed. But the C position is having a renaissance right now. The top three vote getters for this year's MVP are all going to be 6'11" or taller.
Only one is anything like like Oscar. Jokic and Giannas are freaking unicorns. Embid and O might have a few things in common.

Reactions: Ski11585

He’ was making zero dollars in nil because he’s not eligible until like a minute ago
It’s only an idiot who thinks he’d make less as a pro than on nil.

Last edited:
Oscar is absolutely an NBA guy. I get it, the stretch is more appealing in todays 5 out NBA game, but this center build still exists and is still very valuable.

You are the one who claims that he can make more at UK than in the NBA. My question to you was: based on what?
Smf is blindly ignorant on all financial matters and basketball .
So this topic is a natural fit for him to say stupid shit on repeat

• Haha
Reactions: BPKY

Did he grow in college? There's not many 6'8" centers in the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT