ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Tshiebwe with an interesting decision

I am told all the time on this board that some people don't care about money. Joe Lombardi is used as an example. We have Zay Flowers whose NIL deal consists of driving a rental BMW and maybe making 25K passing up 600. Hugley could have easily made 6 figures but he is loyal to Capel. The Summit POY got 400K and you dont think Hugley could even get 5K as an HM All-ACC and one of the best returning bigs in the nation. Your takes on Hugley are some of the worst ever on this board. The kid is clearly an excellent college big.
And you continue to completely miss on your eval of Hugley. And you also lost this completely. He wasn’t offered 100k. There’s zero proof of it and tons of proof he wasn’t. MAJOR L

1) he’s a solid big. Very inefficient, turnover prone and a one trick pony who got tired during the year and struggled mightily at times, but solid. Average rebounder, below average defender. Hes absolutely NOT one of the best HM returning bigs. His numbers at Pitt come from sheer volume because the rest of the team is so bad.

2) bigs are a luxury, not a necessity.

3) Schiederman is much better than Hugley. Full stop. Not close. Hes an efficient wing who shoots at 47 percent from 3. He rebounds. He gets other people shots. He does it all. It’s why he’s MUCH more valuable to a team than any big. As is the guard from Kansas State who went to Miami, as is Isaiah Wong who tried to hold Miami hostage.

When was the last time a big was the best player on the national title team? I know the answer, btw, it’s 2012 with a once in a generation freshmen talent in Anthony Davis.

BIGS ARE A LUXURY. Wings and guards who can knock down 3’s and get to the hoop/create for others are the ones that will drive NiL, not bigs.

Last edited:
Hey guys…. Remember when this board used to have engaging hoops analysis? Me too. Good times.

Reactions: bhoover
And you continue to completely miss on your eval of Hugley. And you also lost this completely. He wasn’t offered 100k. There’s zero proof of it and tons of proof he wasn’t. MAJOR L

1) he’s a solid big. Very inefficient, turnover prone and a one trick pony who got tired during the year and struggled mightily at times, but solid. Average rebounder, below average defender. Hes absolutely NOT one of the best HM returning bigs. His numbers at Pitt come from sheer volume because the rest of the team is so bad.

2) bigs are a luxury, not a necessity.

3) Schiederman is much better than Hugley. Full stop. Not close. Hes an efficient wing who shoots at 47 percent from 3. He rebounds. He gets other people shots. He does it all. It’s why he’s MUCH more valuable to a team than any big. As is the guard from Kansas State who went to Miami, as is Isaiah Wong who tried to hold Miami hostage.

When was the last time a big was the best player on the national title team? I know the answer, btw, it’s 2012 with a once in a generation freshmen talent in Anthony Davis.

BIGS ARE A LUXURY. Wings and guards who can knock down 3’s and get to the hoop/create for others are the ones that will drive NiL, not bigs.
Your proof Hugley wasnt offered 100K is that he's still at Pitt. That isnt proof. Some guys dont care about money. He will get 500K next year. Mark that down.

I have proof Zay Flowers was offered nothing because he came to BC. Right?
You can’t possible be this dumb and think those situations are remotely comparable.

This isn’t even to mention that Zay Flowers is ACTUALLY an elite player, but you can’t be this freaking stupid. These things get out. If he was offered something we would’ve heard so everyone could be like oh John is so loyal and great to Pitt. We’ve seen every time he’s been in the gym through his HS coach’s Twitter and he tweets 100 times a day AND the kid has an agent, but it wasn’t leaked.

I’m being serious, YOURE NOT THIS DUMB. Stop acting like you are

• Wow
Reactions: BPKY
You can’t possible be this dumb and think those situations are remotely comparable.

This isn’t even to mention that Zay Flowers is ACTUALLY an elite player, but you can’t be this freaking stupid. These things get out. If he was offered something we would’ve heard so everyone could be like oh John is so loyal and great to Pitt. We’ve seen every time he’s been in the gym through his HS coach’s Twitter and he tweets 100 times a day AND the kid has an agent, but it wasn’t leaked.

I’m being serious, YOURE NOT THIS DUMB. Stop acting like you are
So we agree that Flowers wasn't offered. Kids never turn down money.

None of you have any proof of who or what was paid , but thinking that highly desirable players who were getting illegal benefits under the table before aren’t being compensated to stay or transfer is being very naive.

John Hugley staying at Pitt was very valuable to JC and I’m sure someone has made sure that he’s been rewarded in some fashion .

Reactions: bhoover
Oscar got monumentally bad advice not going to the league and Cal was shocked by his decision

After watching who got and didn't get drafted- can we all agree that Oscar's decision to make money at KY is better than hoping to snag a roster spot as a 3rd C somewhere?

He struggles with length when he can't bully them with his strength. Which means, he is going to struggle with every team's back-up center and PF let alone the starters.

Last edited:
After watching who got and didn't get drafted- can we all agree that Oscar decision to make money at KY is better than hoping to snag a roster spot as a 3rd C somewhere?

He struggles with length when he can't bully them with his strength. Which means, he is going to struggle with every team's back-up center and PF let alone the starters.
He will probably make more at Kentucky. Hugley is another guy who in years passed, would have left early to go to the G-league or Europe but he almost certainly comes back for probably 500K either at Pitt or the highest bidder. College basketball is going to see a lot of these types of players come back.

After watching who got and didn't get drafted- can we all agree that Oscar decision to make money at KY is better than hoping to snag a roster spot as a 3rd C somewhere?

Moreso than any of the other major sports, it is apparent there is a significant difference with the NBA and major college BB. When guys like Kofi Cockburn and Oscar T aren't NBA 1st rounders, the game has changed significantly.

He will probably make more at Kentucky. Hugley is another guy who in years passed, would have left early to go to the G-league or Europe but he almost certainly comes back for probably 500K either at Pitt or the highest bidder. College basketball is going to see a lot of these types of players come back.
Yeah you would think that the NIL would impact the G League moreso than anything else. Who wants to bus from Fort Wayne to Grand Rapids to Erie to play in front of 500 people (and live in those cities) where they can make close to the same at Duke and Kentucky and be rock stars.

Reactions: TreesHero
Yeah you would think that the NIL would impact the G League moreso than anything else. Who wants to bus from Fort Wayne to Grand Rapids to Erie to play in front of 500 people (and live in those cities) where they can make close to the same at Duke and Kentucky and be rock stars.
Close to the same? They can make WAY more in college than in the G-league. If you aren't a 1st Rounder, it probably doesn't make sense to go to the NBA Draft. Like you said, more than any other sport, the difference between the pro and college version of basketball is so different that you can be literally one of the best, if not the very best college player and that doesn't necessarily translate to pro millions.

Duke game - 17/20. First round center and #1 overall player drafted

UNC game - second best center in country. 16/12

WKU game - 7’4 center. 14 point… TWENTY EIGHT REBOUNDS

in conference games he averaged 18.1/15.7 which is slightly higher than his overall numbers. Rebounding is the most translatable skill for bigs on the next level. Who exactly did he struggle with? Egregious error for the “young” man to stay in school.

I mean… you guys do understand he was the best player in the country, right? He didn’t struggle with anyone but foul trouble.

Duke game - 17/20. First round center and #1 overall player drafted

UNC game - second best center in country. 16/12

WKU game - 7’4 center. 14 point… TWENTY EIGHT REBOUNDS

in conference games he averaged 18.1/15.7 which is slightly higher than his overall numbers. Rebounding is the most translatable skill for bigs on the next level. Who exactly did he struggle with? Egregious error for the “young” man to stay in school.

I mean… you guys do understand he was the best player in the country, right? He didn’t struggle with anyone but foul trouble.

.... so you still don't see what everyone else does?

Reactions: FireballZ
.... so you still don't see what everyone else does?
I have no idea whether he will make it in the NBA, but even if he ended up in the G league if he had declared and not been drafted, wouldn't that better prepare him to play in the NBA than another year at Kentucky?

I have no idea whether he will make it in the NBA, but even if he ended up in the G league if he had declared and not been drafted, wouldn't that better prepare him to play in the NBA than another year at Kentucky?
500K on a 2 way vs 2 million at UK. He understands math.

500K on a 2 way vs 2 million at UK. He understands math.
You missed my point. Setting money aside, will he better prepare himself for the NBA by playing at Kentucky for another year, or playing in the G league? You admitted that the NBA game is very different from the college game, so why would it benefit him to play there for another year, when he could get NBA-like experience in the G league?

Yeah, but to be fair though, how could one have known that a post titled "Oscar Tshiebwe with an interesting decision" wasn't going to be filled with talk of Pitt basketball?
And from the guy who posted the topic Greatest Rivalry in Sports on the football board.

“Lakers - Celtics
Red Sox - Yankees
Steelers - Browns
Wolverines - Buckeyes”

Proving some people like to piss and moan for the sake of it (among other things).

And roughly $400k more than he would have made from the NBA...
He lost 15-20 mill off the back end of his career. Worst decision I’ve seen in a while

As great as Cal is, every single player who left Kentucky got much much better in the NBa. He would’ve had a 2 way contract at worst.

He lost 15-20 mill off the back end of his career. Worst decision I’ve seen in a while

As great as Cal is, every single player who left Kentucky got much much better in the NBa. He would’ve had a 2 way contract at worst.
He's making more money at UK and may have incentives if he makes FF or wins NC.

Kofi Cockburn signed a exhibit-10 deal with an opportunity to work his way to a 2-way deal. Same boat different name.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
Kofi Cockburn signed a exhibit-10 deal with an opportunity to work his way to a 2-way deal. Same boat different name.
1) saying same boat different name is incredibly offensive
2) have you ever watched these two play? They aren’t even close to comparable players. What an awful comp.

Al Horford is 6’9. Oscar is bigger, stronger, more athletic, has a higher motor and is a better rebounder than Horford. Not sure how anyone could disagree. Horford is a 5 time all star.

horford didn’t learn to shoot 3’s until late in his career.

Isaiah Mobley is gonna be a guy for the Cavs that starts every 5th game at center. If he can do it, that’s the absolute worst case for Oscar Tshibwe. He absolutely has a role in the NBA.

The NBA is scared off by his age that is stated and that he’s probably older than that. That’s it. The NBA finds what guys can do (if there’s an elite skill) and utilizes it. Oscar has an elite skill.
He's making more money at UK and may have incentives if he makes FF or wins NC.
You have literally no idea how anything at UK is structured for him, what hoops they still have to jump thru for international money or anything. You have a one off tweet from Jeff Goodman who is a clown that has been disproved and never mentioned again. He could end up making 10 million, but he’s not even at a million yet. If he got a 2 way deal, with NBA coaching/training etc it would’ve been better for him. I think he would’ve been a starter by

Isaiah Mobley is gonna be a guy for the Cavs that starts every 5th game at center. If he can do it, that’s the absolute worst case for Oscar Tshibwe. He absolutely has a role in the NBA.
Stick to pretending to know everything about college ball. Isaiah is 4th on the depth chart at center including his brother when they go smaller, he ain’t starting every 5th game (if he even plays at center). And let me know when Oscar is a career 36% 3 ball shooter like him.

Last edited:
Reactions: PittPharm2002
Stick to pretending to know everything about college ball. Isaiah is 4th on the depth chart at center including his brother when they go smaller, he ain’t starting every 5th game (if he even plays at center). And let me know when Oscar is a career 36% 3 ball shooter like him.
1) Isaiah Mobley 100 percent projects to be a start every 5th game type center whether for the Cavs or whoever the Mobley’s go to next

2) college 3 point percentage is meaningless in regards to projection of NBA 3 point percentage. They look at FT shooting/form to determine whether or not you can shoot from 3 on the next level

3) Oscar is MUCH better than Isaiah Mobley.

PJ tucker, a 6’5 37 year old center with career averages of 7/5, just signed a 3/33 contract. But hey, Oscar’s making 400k this year!

ADVERTISEMENT