ADVERTISEMENT

OSU offering $4 million to Stroud to stay

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

He'll make more in the NFL obviously but guys have stayed in school for $0 at times. For $4 million, to be a college kid one more year, I think you're going to see more of this. Maybe not Stroud necessarily but for some of these guys who love the college life and college football and who are going to be set for life anyway, you can make the argument that its hard to put a price on that extra year of college football playing with your boys. Wouldn't suprise me if he stays.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

He'll make more in the NFL obviously but guys have stayed in school for $0 at times. For $4 million, to be a college kid one more year, I think you're going to see more of this. Maybe not Stroud necessarily but for some of these guys who love the college life and college football and who are going to be set for life anyway, you can make the argument that its hard to put a price on that extra year of college football playing with your boys. Wouldn't suprise me if he stays.
Next year's QB class is going to be much stronger than this year's.

Next year's QB class is going to be much stronger than this year's.
Maybe, but people say that almost every year. Next season, everyone will watch Caleb Williams and Drake Maye and critique every little thing they do. By November, people will be talking about how the class is weak.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
So $4 million and having to take classes is a better deal than a guaranteed signing bonus of $15-20 million plus a 4-year contract worth around $30 million? Assuming he is a Top 5 pick, of course.
It might be a better long term decision to return. The Houston Texans have the 2nd pick. Going to a terrible team can ruin your career. Could be the difference between making 40 million a year for the next 10 years or flaming out after 5 years.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
So $4 million and having to take classes is a better deal than a guaranteed signing bonus of $15-20 million plus a 4-year contract worth around $30 million? Assuming he is a Top 5 pick, of course.

Plus it gets him one year closer to his second contract, which if he ends up being as good as he surely thinks he is will be for really big money.

Reactions: Ski11585
OSU begging him to come back because they are scared of Penn State and the coaching genius of the great Franklin.
penn-state-james-franklin.gif

It might be a better long term decision to return. The Houston Texans have the 2nd pick. Going to a terrible team can ruin your career. Could be the difference between making 40 million a year for the next 10 years or flaming out after 5 years.
Any team picking in the top3 is probably going to be bad...no way I return for a minuscule $4MM.

He should take the $4 million, then opt out next September to prepare for the NFL draft! That would be cutting edge.

There will be 3 qb’s in the top 10 picks for sure this year, maybe 4. That’s pretty strong.
Not when two of those guys are Will Levis and Anthony Richardson. The only reason they'll go that high is physical attributes.

Plus it gets him one year closer to his second contract, which if he ends up being as good as he surely thinks he is will be for really big money.

All this is true and its the better financial decision to leave but if you are going to have more money than you can realistically spend in your lifetime, I would think $4 million to play one more year of college football would be worth it to some. Maybe he wins a NC? Heisman? Like, I dont think when he's 45 with $100 million in his bank account, he's going to say "stupid me, this could be $110 million if I didnt stay an extra year at Ohio State. What a bad decision."

All this is true and its the better financial decision to leave but if you are going to have more money than you can realistically spend in your lifetime, I would think $4 million to play one more year of college football would be worth it to some. Maybe he wins a NC? Heisman? Like, I dont think when he's 45 with $100 million in his bank account, he's going to say "stupid me, this could be $110 million if I didnt stay an extra year at Ohio State. What a bad decision."
Risk is too big. A first rounder who does this is an absolute moron.

Risk is too big. A first rounder who does this is an absolute moron.

I mean I agree but lets say he has a $20 million disability insurance policy, he's either going to be

a) Yacht in the south of France rich (if he doesnt get hurt

Or

b) regular rich guy rich (if he does get hurt)

Either way, he's very rich.

Kenny pickett's base salary was 700k with a 1.8 signing bonus..

He should take the $4 million, then opt out next September to prepare for the NFL draft! That would be cutting edge.
he should take the 4m and play until they lose their first game, then claim injury and then opt out and get ready for the '24 draft.. Stay in it as long as you are healthy and tOSU is rolling. One loss or two, then yeah, call it a college career and get an agent..

yeah, that's a good point..

speaking of wilson, man oh man does that pick look like a disaster right now..
And just checked Kenny's contract - he actually signed a 4 year $14MM deal with a $7.4MM signing bonus - so that $1.8 signing bonus is prorated.

And yes - Wilson is looking like a complete disaster!

And just checked Kenny's contract - he actually signed a 4 year $14MM deal with a $7.4MM signing bonus - so that $1.8 signing bonus is prorated.

Yeah, people confuse the salary cap number with the actual amount paid. Pickett has been paid around $8.1 million for this year. Next season will be the year that he makes the least in terms of actual cash paid out during the course of the year, $1.34 million.

But the big deal is in getting to year five faster, especially for a quarterback. For instance right now, if Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert have their fifth year options picked up they will make $30.4 million in year five. Tua Tagovailoa did not make a Pro Bowl, so his number is $22.4 million. Jordan Love, because he didn't meet any of the "escalator" numbers for Pro Bowl or playing time, will get $19.6 million. So for Pickett, that fifth year option, because of contract inflation, is going to be worth a minimum of well over $20 million. And since the only way he isn't going to meet the playing time bump would be if he has at least one major injury that causes him to miss time, he'll probably be in line for something like $25 million.

Makes NIL money look like peanuts, doesn't it?

Yeah, people confuse the salary cap number with the actual amount paid. Pickett has been paid around $8.1 million for this year. Next season will be the year that he makes the least in terms of actual cash paid out during the course of the year, $1.34 million.

But the big deal is in getting to year five faster, especially for a quarterback. For instance right now, if Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert have their fifth year options picked up they will make $30.4 million in year five. Tua Tagovailoa did not make a Pro Bowl, so his number is $22.4 million. Jordan Love, because he didn't meet any of the "escalator" numbers for Pro Bowl or playing time, will get $19.6 million. So for Pickett, that fifth year option, because of contract inflation, is going to be worth a minimum of well over $20 million. And since the only way he isn't going to meet the playing time bump would be if he has at least one major injury that causes him to miss time, he'll probably be in line for something like $25 million.

Makes NIL money look like peanuts, doesn't it?
Great breakdown!

If the NIL starts interfering with the NFL's ability to bring these guys when they are ready and with reasonable rookie deals, I would think the NFL would "strongly" suggest to these schools and their broadcast partners, "we pretty much stay out of your way, we can play on Saturdays too.

I would think the NFL would "strongly" suggest to these schools and their broadcast partners, "we pretty much stay out of your way, we can play on Saturdays too.

Actually if the NFL tries to play on Saturdays from September through November that would be an antitrust violation and they would be in a lot of trouble with the feds. The NFL's antitrust exemption explicitly excludes them from playing on Fridays during the high school season and Saturdays during the college season.

Reactions: 303vND
If the NIL starts interfering with the NFL's ability to bring these guys when they are ready and with reasonable rookie deals, I would think the NFL would "strongly" suggest to these schools and their broadcast partners, "we pretty much stay out of your way, we can play on Saturdays too.

No. The NFL wants players to stay in college as long as possible to minimize mistakes they make.

He declared for the Draft today as expected.

Rumor is he was really struggling with the decision, which speaks to how powerful this pay for play disguised as NIL is. Some people are absolutely going to stay an extra year that shouldn't have. Remember Travis Etienne did and did for $0 plus whatever illegal bagman money he might have got. That PSU OL was Top 5/10 on a lot of boards but is staying for a Tesla.

Rumor is he was really struggling with the decision, which speaks to how powerful this pay for play disguised as NIL is. Some people are absolutely going to stay an extra year that shouldn't have. Remember Travis Etienne did and did for $0 plus whatever illegal bagman money he might have got. That PSU OL was Top 5/10 on a lot of boards but is staying for a Tesla.
And the PSU guy is an idiot. For all of the reasons that have been already mentioned. Maybe he gets an ice cream flavor named after him!

Reactions: Ski11585
He was not top 5 or top 10. Also trying to imagine the value of a Tesla in a town with one charging station. Guess they'll have team meetings at the Park Forest Sheetz, now.

He was not top 5 or top 10. Also trying to imagine the value of a Tesla in a town with one charging station. Guess they'll have team meetings at the Park Forest Sheetz, now.

He wasn't going top ten in 2023. His "top prospect" status was for 2024 because he has all the measurables and athleticism but hasn't shown it consistently on the field. He's only really started one season.

ADVERTISEMENT