ADVERTISEMENT

OSU offering $4 million to Stroud to stay

He wasn't going top ten in 2023. His "top prospect" status was for 2024 because he has all the measurables and athleticism but hasn't shown it consistently on the field. He's only really started one season.

I dont know why this is so hard for you to believe. He was Top 10 in almost all Mock Drafts and Top 5 in at least one that I saw. He is considered to be a generational talent. You think its impossible that a kid like that could go in the Top 10? You think he would have went like 24th? Or 2nd Round?

I dont know why this is so hard for you to believe. He was Top 10 in almost all Mock Drafts and Top 5 in at least one that I saw. He is considered to be a generational talent. You think its impossible that a kid like that could go in the Top 10? You think he would have went like 24th? Or 2nd Round?
Nobody was drafting him in the first two rounds as a raw prospect. He needs another season and he can possibly go off the board in the top five picks. Kid has all the potential to be a super stud OT in the NFL but he's way too raw. I'm sure he was told this and decided to go back.

Your narrative with this stuff is lazy. "Insiders said...", and you buy it. Insiders are always full of crap. Do you realize how laughable it is that a college kid would trade first three round rookie contract to play another season of college football? It's the definition of insanity but you think a Tesla is enough to buy that kid back.

Reactions: BFo8

He'll make more in the NFL obviously but guys have stayed in school for $0 at times. For $4 million, to be a college kid one more year, I think you're going to see more of this. Maybe not Stroud necessarily but for some of these guys who love the college life and college football and who are going to be set for life anyway, you can make the argument that its hard to put a price on that extra year of college football playing with your boys. Wouldn't suprise me if he stays.
Desperation times setting in as there is no way whatever 5 star recruit they have coming in a qb who will surrounded by a roster of other 5 star recruits can compete in the mighty big 10 east...

He is considered to be a generational talent..think that will be like the 4th or 5th "generational" talent to come out of OSU....they all suck in the pros...

Nobody was drafting him in the first two rounds as a raw prospect. He needs another season and he can possibly go off the board in the top five picks. Kid has all the potential to be a super stud OT in the NFL but he's way too raw. I'm sure he was told this and decided to go back.

Your narrative with this stuff is lazy. "Insiders said...", and you buy it. Insiders are always full of crap. Do you realize how laughable it is that a college kid would trade first three round rookie contract to play another season of college football? It's the definition of insanity but you think a Tesla is enough to buy that kid back.

A 3rd Round pick?????? LOL!!!!!! You are smoking crack again. You wouldn't have found any mock draft rating him worse then 15th overall. He was regarded by some as the best tackle in the draft.

Right. And that guy is taking a Tesla over a rookie contract, LOL. Could be the dumbest BS you've ever pushed on this board. Quite an achievement.

I was being sarcastic about the Tesla. I am sure he is getting a pay for play salary but that's not anywhere near the amount he'd be making in 3 months. I think he is mainly coming back because Franklin mislead him and his Nigerian parents that the Penn State education matters he needs to develop more. While yes, he probably needs to develop more, he could have gotten paid big money to do that.

I was being sarcastic about the Tesla. I am sure he is getting a pay for play salary but that's not anywhere near the amount he'd be making in 3 months. I think he is mainly coming back because Franklin mislead him and his Nigerian parents that the Penn State education matters he needs to develop more. While yes, he probably needs to develop more, he could have gotten paid big money to do that.
None of that makes any sense. You're full of crap. Just own it.

Stetson Bennet had a $1M deal. Not sure what his pro prospects were last year, but I feel like you will see that more often. Really good college players taking some guaranteed money.

So basically it was leave to maybe catch on, or stay and be a title contender and get a million.

I know jokes are flying about his age, but it was literally like having a pro. The funny thing is, he probably improved his draft stock too. I’m not blaming the kid. It’s well played. Just not as good for fans looking for feel good moments.

Stroud money potential was next level, so he isn’t staying. But like I said, I can see this being a common thing among good players that mean a lot to their college, but have shaky next level prospects.

I dont even know what your contention is here.

Do you believe the kid was really not a 1st Rounder?

Do you believe he isnt going to get ANY pay for play NIL salary?
You're contending that this kid was a lock to go in the first half of the first round but decided to play anther season at Dear Old State for an NIL package. Make it make sense on any level when guys that are second or third rounders don't even hesitate to declare for the draft.

people are saying that stroud is leaving, players are texting that he's their qb next year and other people are saying he declared for the draft..

saw somethign about an oregon state qb transferring in. what in the world is going on

people are saying that stroud is leaving, players are texting that he's their qb next year and other people are saying he declared for the draft..

saw somethign about an oregon state qb transferring in. what in the world is going on
He declared for the draft so that's pretty much that. He'll be a Texan or a Panther, soon.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
He declared for the draft so that's pretty much that. He'll be a Texan or a Panther, soon.
thank you.. so i guess that McCord dude isnt ready yet to take the reigns? I dont follow the buckeyes too closely but they just seem to get whoever they want every year, surprised they have to go to Oregon State for their next qb..

i know they lost that texas kid back to texas, just surprised they dont have their next qb already on the roster..

thank you.. so i guess that McCord dude isnt ready yet to take the reigns? I dont follow the buckeyes too closely but they just seem to get whoever they want every year, surprised they have to go to Oregon State for their next qb..

i know they lost that texas kid back to texas, just surprised they dont have their next qb already on the roster..
I don't know why any kid would commit to OSU as a QB.

I don't know why any kid would commit to OSU as a QB.
I'm confused. Why? ..perennial top ten team that puts QBs (albeit schitty post college) into the pros (2 first rounders in the last four years) so I would assume a helluva lot of kids would like a shot there..

You're contending that this kid was a lock to go in the first half of the first round but decided to play anther season at Dear Old State for an NIL package. Make it make sense on any level when guys that are second or third rounders don't even hesitate to declare for the draft.

Why is everything so hard for you?

Yes, he was a guaranteed 1st Rounder. Top 5/10. I hope we can agree there at this point.

He isnt staying ONLY to get a Tesla and an NIL package. Many guys before him have stayed when they shouldn't have and have done it for free. Maybe he likes college, his teammates, Peachy Paterno, whatever. Its very likely that Franklin and Co. swindled him and his parents that the PSU degree means something when he's going to have tens of millions in the bank soon and that he needs further coaching to make sure he succeeds at the next level. I am guessing his parents are from Nigeria, similar to that NC State tackle who went 6th overall and also stayed a year too many. Nigerian parents take education very seriously and persuaded him to come back. That could have been the case with the PSU guy along with Franklin the Used Car Salesman explaining to him how he desperately needs another year of college football.

Yes, he was a guaranteed 1st Rounder. Top 5/10. I hope we can agree there at this point.

He isnt staying ONLY to get a Tesla and an NIL package. Many guys before him have stayed when they shouldn't have and have done it for free. Maybe he likes college, his teammates, Peachy Paterno, whatever. Its very likely that Franklin and Co. swindled him and his parents that the PSU degree means something when he's going to have tens of millions in the bank soon and that he needs further coaching to make sure he succeeds at the next level. I am guessing his parents are from Nigeria, similar to that NC State tackle who went 6th overall and also stayed a year too many. Nigerian parents take education very seriously and persuaded him to come back. That could have been the case with the PSU guy along with Franklin the Used Car Salesman explaining to him how he desperately needs another year of college football.
If only there were a way to get a degree while, or after playing NFL football....

Reactions: pittdan77

Top 5/10 picks don't get swindled to stay in college. You're using something that sounds like racist, fan boy, fantasy to make a justification for your stupid claim because you didn't read past the title of the thread on the PSU board that said this guy was a first rounder to find out they meant, maybe next year. To make your goofy story work, there are GM's and personnel people in NFL front offices wondering how they can pry top ten draft talent away from college blue bloods AND, all of that despite the fact that kids regularly bolt from PSU the second they hear "third round grade" or better. Get bent.

Reactions: Ski11585
Top 5/10 picks don't get swindled to stay in college. You're using something that sounds like racist, fan boy, fantasy to make a justification for your stupid claim because you didn't read past the title of the thread on the PSU board that said this guy was a first rounder to find out they meant, maybe next year. To make your goofy story work, there are GM's and personnel people in NFL front offices wondering how they can pry top ten draft talent away from college blue bloods AND, all of that despite the fact that kids regularly bolt from PSU the second they hear "third round grade" or better. Get bent.

So we are back to believing this kid was a 3rd Rounder despite EVERY mock having him as a 1st Rounder and most having him in the Top 5 or 10?

So we are back to believing this kid was a 3rd Rounder despite EVERY mock having him as a 1st Rounder and most having him in the Top 5 or 10?

FWIW, the Athletics first mock draft, done on November 30, included a bunch of guys who were still eligible to come back and they did not have him in the first round at all. They only had four offensive linemen in the first round, and three of them were underclassmen.

Yeah, people confuse the salary cap number with the actual amount paid. Pickett has been paid around $8.1 million for this year. Next season will be the year that he makes the least in terms of actual cash paid out during the course of the year, $1.34 million.

But the big deal is in getting to year five faster, especially for a quarterback. For instance right now, if Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert have their fifth year options picked up they will make $30.4 million in year five. Tua Tagovailoa did not make a Pro Bowl, so his number is $22.4 million. Jordan Love, because he didn't meet any of the "escalator" numbers for Pro Bowl or playing time, will get $19.6 million. So for Pickett, that fifth year option, because of contract inflation, is going to be worth a minimum of well over $20 million. And since the only way he isn't going to meet the playing time bump would be if he has at least one major injury that causes him to miss time, he'll probably be in line for something like $25 million.

Makes NIL money look like peanuts, doesn't it?
It also demonstrates why winning with a qb on a rookie contract is often your best window.

Reactions: Ski11585
FWIW, the Athletics first mock draft, done on November 30, included a bunch of guys who were still eligible to come back and they did not have him in the first round at all. They only had four offensive linemen in the first round, and three of them were underclassmen.
But smf said nobody had him lower than 10th pick
Reality has a well known anti-smf bias

He is a RS Sophomore and they either didnt list any RS Sophomores as part of an unwritten criteria. Either that or maybe they were the 1 mock draft that agreed with pittdan that he's a 3rd rounder despite being Top 5/10 in almost every other one. Look at the 2024 mocks, he's 2, 3, 4. Do these people expect him to go from 3rd Round had he come out next year to #3 overall?

But smf said nobody had him lower than 10th pick
Reality has a well known anti-smf bias

Are we really going to argue that this kid wasn't a Top 10 prospect? Here's another link and a really funny quote that shows how the kid was swindled.

Penn State is an awesome place to go to school,” Fashanu told ESPN. “And I can get my education for free.”

Of course, Fashanu could also enter the NFL and get upwards of $30 million guaranteed on his rookie contract, at which point he could afford all the education he wanted.

It also demonstrates why winning with a qb on a rookie contract is often your best window.
Who in the last 10 years has won a Super Bowl with a rookie contract QB? Like 2 teams have done so. The only people that say this are those overly consumed with salary cap metrics. Your best window is just having a stud QB regardless of contract. The guys that have won the bulk of the Super Bowls recently are experienced QBs.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Who in the last 10 years has won a Super Bowl with a rookie contract QB? Like 2 teams have done so. The only people that say this are those overly consumed with salary cap metrics. Your best window is just having a stud QB regardless of contract. The guys that have won the bulk of the Super Bowls recently are experienced QBs.

I dont think I'd ever draft a QB in the 1st Round. The bust rate is too great. Like CJ Stroud is going to go Top 5 like the 10 previous OSU QBs before him and they all suck. And then you have late round guys like Brady, Purdy, etc. I'd spend the money elsewhere and get an average QB in free agency. The chances of lucking into a HOF guy in the 1st Round are minimal.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Are we really going to argue that this kid wasn't a Top 10 prospect? Here's another link and a really funny quote that shows how the kid was swindled.

Penn State is an awesome place to go to school,” Fashanu told ESPN. “And I can get my education for free.”

Of course, Fashanu could also enter the NFL and get upwards of $30 million guaranteed on his rookie contract, at which point he could afford all the education he wanted.

No idea what draft board they got that from but he wasn’t on anyone’s that I’ve looked at for 2022. If he was, he’d be going to the NFL. Nobody gives up going in the first round to play college football. Just give it up.

I dont think I'd ever draft a QB in the 1st Round. The bust rate is too great. Like CJ Stroud is going to go Top 5 like the 10 previous OSU QBs before him and they all suck. And then you have late round guys like Brady, Purdy, etc. I'd spend the money elsewhere and get an average QB in free agency. The chances of lucking into a HOF guy in the 1st Round are minimal.
Really? Most of the excellent QBs these days are first round QBs. A guy like Brady is the aberration.

So the majority of non-Brady team ?

No idea what draft board they got that from but he wasn’t on anyone’s that I’ve looked at for 2022. If he was, he’d be going to the NFL. Nobody gives up going in the first round to play college football. Just give it up.

See, this is why I say you have an intellectual disability. Sometimes people have arguments with me on here and they make valid points and I can see where they are coming from. With you, its like I'm talking to a preschool kid. I dont even know if you're being serious or just messing with me because you make no sense. The kid was a 1st Rounder in every single mock except the one Joe cherrypicked that most likely didnt consider RS Sophomores. I linked several articles which stated he was a high 1st Round pick. The kid was absolutely 100% going in the 1st Round. Its amazing to me that you are willing to even argue that. No one agrees with you because, believe me, if I was wrong, people would come out of the woodwork to prove me wrong. Nobody can. And your logic that you use that he wasn't a 1st Rounder because no 1st Rounder would ever come back to school is, again pre-school logic. Travis Etienne did it and I posted then on this board what a stupid decision it was. And that was before NIL. And he wasnt the only one in history. I dont even know why you pick this to argue with me over. Its stupid. Its not even an argument. I post enough other stuff that you can go and find and make a legitimate argument against. Go do that.

See, this is why I say you have an intellectual disability. Sometimes people have arguments with me on here and they make valid points and I can see where they are coming from. With you, its like I'm talking to a preschool kid. I dont even know if you're being serious or just messing with me because you make no sense. The kid was a 1st Rounder in every single mock except the one Joe cherrypicked that most likely didnt consider RS Sophomores. I linked several articles which stated he was a high 1st Round pick. The kid was absolutely 100% going in the 1st Round. Its amazing to me that you are willing to even argue that. No one agrees with you because, believe me, if I was wrong, people would come out of the woodwork to prove me wrong. Nobody can. And your logic that you use that he wasn't a 1st Rounder because no 1st Rounder would ever come back to school is, again pre-school logic. Travis Etienne did it and I posted then on this board what a stupid decision it was. And that was before NIL. And he wasnt the only one in history. I dont even know why you pick this to argue with me over. Its stupid. Its not even an argument. I post enough other stuff that you can go and find and make a legitimate argument against. Go do that.
You're wrong. Own it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT