ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 1st full capacity stadium event in TX today

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I hope we can discuss this without it devolving into politics as stadium capacities are very relevant to Pitt and sports fans in general.

The Texas Rangers open their new ballpark today in Arlington and have decided to open up for full capacity for this game only before reducing back down to 25%. For a 1 game home opener, I cant say I blame them. If this were Pitt in a similar situation, I'd want to be there. I do think that these teams should follow the Yankees lead and require either a rapid test to gain admission or proof of vaccine.

For Pitt next season, I would hope we open to full capacity BUT with proof of vaccine. This would be a great incentive for students to decide to get vaccinated.

As for this Rangers game, I believe this is the firsr full capacity stadium event in the US since March 2020. The first full capacity indoor event will most likely be the UFC event in Jacksonville on April 24.

UFC will have a non restricted event in about a month in TX. Haven’t looked it up but that’s almost certainly indoors. That’s another month’s worth of vaccines but still worth keeping an eye on.

Reactions: CREAM007
My son in law lives in Austin. Plays guitar, but just bought a fiddle. Uber Waylon fan.
Loves a cover band led by Jason Roberts....
Small world, my daughter and son-in-law live in Austin as well. Not in the music business though.

Yeesh, I would hope Pitt is offering full refunds on season tickets if they're requiring proof of vaccination to get in.
They offered full refunds due to the pandemic .

your ticket is revocable for any reason they choose.
It’s literally printed on the back of every ticket

Pitt won’t require it because it’s completely unenforceable.
This is a silly topic

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
They offered full refunds due to the pandemic .

your ticket is revocable for any reason they choose.
It’s literally printed on the back of every ticket

Pitt won’t require it because it’s completely unenforceable.
This is a silly topic

They offered full refunds because fans weren't allowed in the stadium, until a small percentage were able to attend the ND game. This isn't the same premise at all.

And sure - they don't have to let me in. I'm not arguing that; I did not, however, buy my ticket under the stipulation that a future vaccine would be required.

They offered full refunds because fans weren't allowed in the stadium, until a small percentage were able to attend the ND game. This isn't the same premise at all.

And sure - they don't have to let me in. I'm not arguing that; I did not, however, buy my ticket under the stipulation that a future vaccine would be required.
Now this is agree with. If they require vaccination and you don’t have one then you should be refunded.

Reactions: PharMorNightStocker
It’s your mistake for following a goofy smf premise

but let’s pretend Pitt somehow was able to test for immunity in this hypothetical world - as condition to enter the stadium .
You bought your ticket - and are refused entry .
You’re shit out of luck and there is no refund .
Just like if you tried entering the stadium blind drunk and belligerent and are turned away .
Pitt doesn’t refund your money because your ticket is revocable for any reason at all without refund

Reactions: jrozycki
Read the back of your ticket or any ticket for that matter
There will be no refund

During these times, it would be the right thing to do to refund someone or offer a ticket to a future game (like during the following season when no vaccine is required). I want to see things back to normal but the quickest way to do that is for private businesses to require proof of vaccine for a short period of time like 6-12 months.

You mean like who schools and employers in healthcare require your immunization records ?
They literally took blood samples to test for my titre levels for antibodies and I’d need immunizations for any thing I was lacking .
This has been Normal practice right here in the us for decades.

lay off the kookaid .

Or drivers licenses that are predicated on physical abilities.

The whole concept of a vaccine passport is moot. At the current rate of vaccination, every adult (16+) could get a shot by the end of June. The vaccination rate will actually go up a bit over the next month due to increases in vaccine manufacturing as well as states opening up vaccination to everyone. Pfiser is going to get approved for the 12-16 range soon based on their recent studies. The vaccine "hesitancy" or refusal rate is low and dropping (~13%). We'll have herd immunity by August at the latest. No major business is going to risk the potential backlash of demanding proof of vaccination when the vast majority will be vaccinated soon anyways.

There is no true vaccination requirement for public school, not when there's religious or philosophical exemptions.
True about religious exemption or if you find a doctor who writes a medical excuse for not receiving it. I would say that Pitt (or any other host of a mass gathering) should accept the same written excuses for the 3 non-vaccinated fans who would present them.

So wait a minute...you are hoping that for Pitt next season that "we are open to full capacity with proof of vaccine," is that correct???
I hope that NEVER happens, EVER!! This is the United States of America and we have rights and freedoms in our country. Needing to carry "proof of vaccine" with us, would be turning our country into Germany under the leadership of Hitler. I can hear it now, "citizen, you must have proof of vaccine, SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS"!!!
Whether or not a person has received a vaccine should NEVER be a reason for admission or denial to any event. When you have gone to Pitt events is the past, have you inquired about whether the people around you have gotten a flu or a pneumonia vaccine???
Lastly, as much as I am for opening things up in our country, filling a baseball stadium with 40,000 people is not the smartest thing to do.
I am very proud to have both doses of Pfizer in my system. Would hope that most people agree with being vaccinated.
No Hitler, no fascism, just plain common sense. I’m vaccinated, but I have young grandchildren that aren’t. If you haven’t been vaccinated, please keep your social distance.
If I had to show proof of a flu and Shindrix vaccination...that would be ok with me, as well.

Reactions: jrozycki
True about religious exemption or if you find a doctor who writes a medical excuse for not receiving it. I would say that Pitt (or any other host of a mass gathering) should accept the same written excuses for the 3 non-vaccinated fans who would present them.

You forgot moral and philosophical exemptions which is basically anyone who wants to be selfish and stupid. They wouldn't be doing it if all the other children weren't vaccinated.

There is no true vaccination requirement for public school, not when there's religious or philosophical exemptions.

There are some states, not a lot of them but there are a few, which do not have religious or philosophical exemptions. Actually far more states DON'T allow philosophical exemptions than allow them. But most of them do stupidly allow religious exemptions.

The whole concept of a vaccine passport is moot. At the current rate of vaccination, every adult (16+) could get a shot by the end of June. The vaccination rate will actually go up a bit over the next month due to increases in vaccine manufacturing as well as states opening up vaccination to everyone. Pfiser is going to get approved for the 12-16 range soon based on their recent studies. The vaccine "hesitancy" or refusal rate is low and dropping (~13%). We'll have herd immunity by August at the latest. No major business is going to risk the potential backlash of demanding proof of vaccination when the vast majority will be vaccinated soon anyways.
This is what I am thinking as well. The couple of countries with over 50% vaccination have a extremely sharp decline in new cases and they aren't to 100% yet. Granted both are much smaller than the U.S. but it's encouraging to see.

Reactions: Parkview57
You forgot moral and philosophical exemptions which is basically anyone who wants to be selfish and stupid. They wouldn't be doing it if all the other children weren't vaccinated.
I had serious reactions to childhood vaccines. The meningitis vaccine before college almost killed me. I’ve been advised to steer clear for the time being from the shot due to prior reactions (I want to be vaccinated btw). So that means that I’m to be shunned from events and society?

Reactions: Ronnyp91
With everything opening back up generation z isn't going to get vaccinated when all they heard for a year is your gonna kill grandma. Cases have been going up slightly and society is opening.

I had serious reactions to childhood vaccines. The meningitis vaccine before college almost killed me. I’ve been advised to steer clear for the time being from the shot due to prior reactions (I want to be vaccinated btw). So that means that I’m to be shunned from events and society?
No. You should be able to provide a doctor's excuse to get into private events.

I said nothing negative about medical situations, that's an entirely different ball game. I'm not advocating anyone get shunned because they lack Covid vaccination. My initial comment was related to current public school vaccination requirements for kids.

Reactions: Ski11585
HAs Pitt announced a carry-in policy for the spring game? The Pirates/MLB have adopted a model closer to what we are used to with Pitt, and then some. No bags, but you can carry in a bottle of water and food (presumably in your bare hands). Concessions are purchased via app or prepaid debit card. No tailgating.

I find the tailgating ban to be more than a little absurd. It's OK to congregate IN the park, but not outside in the parking lots. Not being a regular tailgater, I don't much care. Just seems silly and a case of the Bucs taking advantage of the situation to coax more dollars into the team's coffers. For the most part I have supported nearly all of the cautionary steps taken in PA.

Every state has medical exemptions for people who, for whatever reason (usually allergies) cannot get vaccinated.

That is a completely different story for people like that than for people who just don't want one, or more likely just don't want their kids to get one.

Every state has medical exemptions for people who, for whatever reason (usually allergies) cannot get vaccinated.

That is a completely different story for people like that than for people who just don't want one, or more likely just don't want their kids to get one.
There are few (if any) medical reasons not to get the Covid vaccine. Allergy to a component of the vaccine is one, and a history of a severe allergic reaction to another vaccine should be reviewed by a person's doctor before deciding to have the vaccine or not.

If all do as they should and get the vaccine, then those who can't like kma0043 will be protected by all of us stamping out the virus. Then kma0043 can get to Heinz and cheer on the Panthers.

Reactions: kma0043
I said nothing negative about medical situations, that's an entirely different ball game. I'm not advocating anyone get shunned because they lack Covid vaccination. My initial comment was related to current public school vaccination requirements for kids.
I wasn’t trying to come off surly. Just concerned for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT