ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 Buccos

I am not angsting at all. I agree with this. But I just find it hilarious they could be historically bad. Alot of this obviously is reflective on the previous regime, the fundamentals, the lack of development, the scouting and drafting, but I have to admit, I think this current major league level coaching staff is a place holder and I hope they have better teachers now in the minors.
If they aren’t historically bad they didn’t do it right

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Polanco can’t come within a foot of hitting a curve ball. His defense is atrocious as well. Guess we couldn’t get any takers for him this off-season and now we are stuck until a few other outfielders develop

Polanco can’t come within a foot of hitting a curve ball. His defense is atrocious as well. Guess we couldn’t get any takers for him this off-season and now we are stuck until a few other outfielders develop
I don’t disagree with any of what you said, but part of me is a little disappointed that Polanco’s time in Pittsburgh is coming to an end. It’ll officially close the books on a fun, albeit short, time in Pirates history.

Too bad he couldn’t live up to his expectations. There were a lot of them with that group, too. Some of them lived up to it, others showed flashes here and there, and a few didn’t pan out at all (Hanson, Kingham). A lot of “what could’ve beens...”

I don’t disagree with any of what you said, but part of me is a little disappointed that Polanco’s time in Pittsburgh is coming to an end. It’ll officially close the books on a fun, albeit short, time in Pirates history.

Too bad he couldn’t live up to his expectations. There were a lot of them with that group, too. Some of them lived up to it, others showed flashes here and there, and a few didn’t pan out at all (Hanson, Kingham). A lot of “what could’ve beens...”
Here's the thing about Polanco. Remember, he was one of the guys (Taillor or Glasnow and Alan Hansen were the others) who Neal Huntington would trade back in the 2013-15 era for either Mike Stanton, David Price or Chris Sale. Yet basically sent an even better package in 2018 to Tampa for a over the hill Chris Archer on a team that wouldn't make the playoffs.

Here's the thing about Polanco. Remember, he was one of the guys (Taillor or Glasnow and Alan Hansen were the others) who Neal Huntington would trade back in the 2013-15 era for either Mike Stanton, David Price or Chris Sale. Yet basically sent an even better package in 2018 to Tampa for a over the hill Chris Archer on a team that wouldn't make the playoffs.
Ain’t that the truth. When you’re a small-market team, you need to make the most of a contention window and “strike while the iron’s hot.” Royals did that to perfection in 2015. I’m hopeful that this regime recognizes that.

The combination of wretched play by the home team, the wham-or-whiff mentality of hitters, and the myriad rules and restrictions due to COVID -- taken together they don't compel me to kill four hours in the ol' ball yard in its waning seasons (Hey I am counting down to the witching hour of 2031.). I hope some of the rules are lifted to make going to a game a little more enticing.

Ain’t that the truth. When you’re a small-market team, you need to make the most of a contention window and “strike while the iron’s hot.” Royals did that to perfection in 2015. I’m hopeful that this regime recognizes that.

Nutting owns this team. NEVER EVER EVER GOING TO WIN, STOP BEING SO DAMN GULLIBLE

Reactions: PittPoker
No. That’s only a small part of it.
What the heck are you talking about? Polanco was heralded as a can't miss 5 tool player in the minors and when he came up in 2014 there was huge fanfare from Pirates fans. He hit safely in his first dozen games and then he went cold. So cold i remember people were wondering when he was going to be sent back down to triple A.

Fast forward to now and he has been a major disappointment. He has consistently underachieved in all areas. Hell he can't even run the bases normally without injuring his knee or some other body part. He's been a complete bust. I do believe however that had he been fortunate enough to have been traded years ago to another organization or developed through that different organization he could perhaps have had a nice career. The Pirates including now have been a pretty big failure at developing and making players better.

So the disdain for Polanco is warranted.

Reactions: Dan1911
What the heck are you talking about? Polanco was heralded as a can't miss 5 tool player in the minors and when he came up in 2014 there was huge fanfare from Pirates fans. He hit safely in his first dozen games and then he went cold. So cold i remember people were wondering when he was going to be sent back down to triple A.

Fast forward to now and he has been a major disappointment. He has consistently underachieved in all areas. Hell he can't even run the bases normally without injuring his knee or some other body part. He's been a complete bust. I do believe however that had he been fortunate enough to have been traded years ago to another organization or developed through that different organization he could perhaps have had a nice career. The Pirates including now have been a pretty big failure at developing and making players better.

So the disdain for Polanco is warranted.
How much of that is the propensity for the Pirates to ruin players?

Reactions: sonofabit
How much of that is the propensity for the Pirates to ruin players?
That's a big part considering it's hard to list anyone that got better once they were called up. And in recent years so many of their prospects sucked continuously in the minors. At least in the early to mid part of the previous decade we had a decent amount who were tearing it up in minor league ball. Unfortunately once called up they struggled or were very up and down. Now there's really not anyone I can think of in AA or AAA looking like they need to be in the majors. Not good at all.

That's a big part considering it's hard to list anyone that got better once they were called up. And in recent years so many of their prospects sucked continuously in the minors. At least in the early to mid part of the previous decade we had a decent amount who were tearing it up in minor league ball. Unfortunately once called up they struggled or were very up and down. Now there's really not anyone I can think of in AA or AAA looking like they need to be in the majors. Not good at all.
Not only that, but it seems that when they leave they get better.

That is yet another example of what I call the Willie Daniel syndrome. The Steelers of the 1960s were about the worst pro football team you've ever seen (at least the worst in my lifetime). The worst of that sorry bunch was a defensive back named Willie Daniel. They traded Daniel to the Rams . . . and he promptly became all-Pro there.

I think it is amazing.....and baseball definitely has a problem, when a 10-9 Game 7 of the 1960 World Series, that is 19 run folks!, The Yankees used 5 pitchers. The Pirates used 4 pitchers. The Yankees had 11 hits, the Pirates 13 hits. 3 Walks by the Yankees, 2 by the Pirates. This game had to take over 4 hours, right? Wrong. 2:36! 2 hours and 36 minutes.

Contrast that with last night's 8-4 Pirates win. The Pirates used SEVEN pitchers. Threw 13 walks. The Padres used 5 pitchers (8 innings), threw 5 walks. 4 hours and 7 minutes. Without even a bottom of the 9th. Work the count. Work the count. Work the count. Hell Brian Reynolds last night, with 2 outs, and 2 strikes, you what he had the audacity to do??? He went with a 2 strike pitch and hit it to the opposite field and it got through for a base hit and drove a run! How damn old fashioned for him. No launch angle. No swinging for the fences, a puny single because we know RBI is a bogus stat.

Polanco hit a dinger tonight and raised his batting average to .195. Glad he hit a homer and got two hits on the night. Hope he bounces back and stays healthy.

They’re (hopefully) not picking up his option for next year, so should they keep playing him or try to develop younger players? As the highest-paid Pirate, maybe that was a rhetorical question.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Polanco hit a dinger tonight and raised his batting average to .195. Glad he hit a homer and got two hits on the night. Hope he bounces back and stays healthy.

They’re (hopefully) not picking up his option for next year, so should they keep playing him or try to develop younger players? As the highest-paid Pirate, maybe that was a rhetorical question.
One of their top prospects, Oneil Cruz, is projected to play right field in the majors. He should get some time in the big leagues this season and has a chance to become a regular in 2022, so I definitely think this is Polanco’s last year in Pittsburgh.

I was going to mention the possibility of trading him at the deadline but I have no idea what his trade value would be, if he’d have any at all.

On a side note, I was interested in watching Anthony Alford this year after his 2020 season was cut short but he’s faired similarly to Polanco. Meanwhile, Phillip Evans is the outfielder that’s impressing me so far.

Another early-inning struggle for Keller and a quick 4-0 lead for the Padres. Hope he can figure things out moving forward; he’s shown a lot of promise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT