ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 Rock & Roll HOF Induction Ceremony

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
It’s been streaming and playing on HBO for two weeks now, and I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are on the show and the inductees.

I believe it’s by far the longest of the induction ceremonies (and undoubtedly the one with the most words censored out of closed caption-
ing.)

For me, the highlight of the show was Eminem. I don’t understand his music, but the man is a genius. His performance was something I couldn’t take my eyes off of, even for a second.
I also loved the Dolly Parton induction, Jimmy Iovine’s speech and the “early influences” selections of Harry Belafonte and Elizabeth Cotton. I have been a fan of Libby Cotton since 1970 for two reasons: (1) I learned to play the guitar using the “Cotton Pickin’” style she invented; and (2) like me, she plays left handed.

Whether you love or hate the fact that the HOF is much more inclusive now, inducting
non-rockers like Harry Belafonte, Dolly Parton and Eminem, there is one person who IMO is primarily responsible for that monumental change which started in 2016: Artist manager, record company executive, studio president, Ticketmaster head and all-around mogul Irving Azoff.

Since it’s inception, the HOF had been controlled by Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner. After all, it was mainly his baby. The voting system essentially gave Wenner veto power over any act he didn’t think was worthy of induction, either because it didn’t meet his definition of Rock & Roll or his standard for induction. He guarded that power jealously, and most in the industry were too frightened to challenge him.

Not Irving. Irving, who is maybe 5’6, once challenged Wilt Chamberlain to a fight in the middle of a Lakers’ game. So, Jann Wenner certainly didn’t scare him. Many people agreed with Irving that the system should be changed and the HOF more inclusive; however, most initially wouldn’t express that publicly. Slowly and over a number of years, Irving was able to cultivate more and more support for revising the system, and in 2016 the rules were fundamentally changed.

Love them or hate them, the catalyst behind the whole movement was “Chicago.” They had been eligible for induction since 1994 (25 years after release of their first album) but were not in. Wenner was not a fan. He thought “Blood, Sweat and Tears” was the real innovator of horn-centered rock & roll bands and “Chicago” was just an imitator.

I loved “Child Is Father To The Man” but BS&T only made one other album, and with a different lead singer. By 2016, when they finally were inducted, Chicago had released 5 (consecutive) #1 albums and 27 albums which went Platinum. They had recorded 21 Top Ten singles, including 11 which reached #1.

I readily admit a strong bias, knowing all of the original members except Terry Kath, representing 4 of them, and even riding along with them on their tour bus for a week one summer back in the days when bands still rode on tour buses. They even let me join in when they did impromptu concerts on the bus, graciously ignoring my poor guitar playing.

By any objective measure, they were HOF material. But, Wenner was not a fan and his control over the voting had kept them (and other deserving artists) out. Irving had represented Chicago back in their early days, but had not been actively involved with them for years. But, he believed their exclusion represented everything that was unfair in the HOF’s induction process, and he made it a personal crusade to change the voting process and get them inducted.

So, for those who think the old, restricted HOF was the best, blame Irving. If, like me, you welcome it’s more inclusionary nature, thank Irving.

Back to the show: I personally thought all but one of the inductees belong in the HOF. That one: Pat Benatar’s husband. I had never heard of him. I don’t remember any radio DJ ever mentioning his name while introducing one of her songs. Maybe I just missed it. But, to me it was like inducting a singer’s accompanist. I’m guessing she told the HOF it is either both of us or neither of us. I admire the family loyalty, but if that is what happened I would have taken a hard pass.

I actually enjoyed all of the musical numbers in the show, although Eminem will be the one I will never forget. But, what I enjoyed just as much were the acceptance speeches. Not so much the words, but the pride and joy every inductee expressed at being inducted. Except, again, for one: Eminem’s speech was as boring as any 5 minutes ever televised. I understand the point he was trying to make, but it was excruciatingly boring to listen to him alphabetically read off the names of what I assume to be almost every rap group or individual in recorded history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.