ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 80's kids and music fans.....

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I saw this on the web today. And I was cruising around this weekend when U2's I Will Follow came on the radio (of course XM station) and it dawned on me. WOW...THIS SONG IS 41 YEARS OLD!!!! 41!!! And I thought to myself, 41 years prior to that, it was 1940. Music then was absolutely NOTHING like music in 1981. Nothing in 1940 was relevant in the 80's. But that is not true of today. Also, such different times. While since 1981 we have had the development of the internet, smart phones, general electronics, a kid's life in 1981, at least appearance wise, is not dramatically different than now. But in 1940, WWII was not even a thing for us yet. TV was not yet a thing. The thought of getting on a jet and flying to Hawaii was not a consideration. But it is music, fashion and entertainment that is so much different in the 40 years between 1940 and 1980 than 1980 and 2020.

Then to drive this all home, I saw this on Twitter today.

Eyzsb9DUcAENvvI

Ive thought the same, it's depressing. But the strange thing is, kids actually still listen to 80's music when exposed from their parents or now listen to streaming music. Back then in the 80's I'm not listening to Bing Crosby or dancing to the Chattanooga Choo choo unless you found old albums while grandparents were reminiscing about the war years. Technology has really helped to keep those 80's songs sounding "new"

My son turns 18 in a few weeks, and he and his friends listen to the usual 18 year old hip hop and rap. But they also listen to classic rock 60s 70s and 80s. They have gotten me to appreciate some if their music but they definitely like the old man's music.

Reactions: TWPitt
My son turns 18 in a few weeks, and he and his friends listen to the usual 18 year old hip hop and rap. But they also listen to classic rock 60s 70s and 80s. They have gotten me to appreciate some if their music but they definitely like the old man's music.
Is classic rock still 60s and 70s or has it now become music from the 90s?

Reactions: BPKY
I saw this on the web today. And I was cruising around this weekend when U2's I Will Follow came on the radio (of course XM station) and it dawned on me. WOW...THIS SONG IS 41 YEARS OLD!!!! 41!!! And I thought to myself, 41 years prior to that, it was 1940. Music then was absolutely NOTHING like music in 1981. Nothing in 1940 was relevant in the 80's. But that is not true of today. Also, such different times. While since 1981 we have had the development of the internet, smart phones, general electronics, a kid's life in 1981, at least appearance wise, is not dramatically different than now. But in 1940, WWII was not even a thing for us yet. TV was not yet a thing. The thought of getting on a jet and flying to Hawaii was not a consideration. But it is music, fashion and entertainment that is so much different in the 40 years between 1940 and 1980 than 1980 and 2020.

Eyzsb9DUcAENvvI
I was thinking about that the other day when I was watching one of the Mecum auto auctions. They had a car from the 80s followed by a car from the 40s. One of the announcers said something about the difference between those cars and the 80s car to today's cars being the same.

Eyzsb9DUcAENvvI
These bands are passing the test of time. Wonder if they will be broken down centuries from now in Harmony and Counterpoint classes.

I think about these types of time gaps often. It's freaky. But I'm not sure it's true that the 40s weren't relevant in the 80s. Just not to us.

Ive thought the same, it's depressing. But the strange thing is, kids actually still listen to 80's music when exposed from their parents or now listen to streaming music. Back then in the 80's I'm not listening to Bing Crosby or dancing to the Chattanooga Choo choo unless you found old albums while grandparents were reminiscing about the war years. Technology has really helped to keep those 80's songs sounding "new"
FWIW - my youngest loves 80's music. Definitely not 70's or 90's (he hates 90's).

Reactions: pitt90seven
The same cannot be said for hip hop. I've coached hs kids for a long time and no one is jamming out to Kurtis Blow or Kool Moe Dee these days.

I've joked around and snuck Pete Rock, Das Efx, Grand Puba, Lords of the Underground, etc on the box and it's always met with boos lol. They have no clue who these artists are.

The consensus seems to kill a song once its older than 3-4 months.

The same cannot be said for hip hop. I've coached hs kids for a long time and no one is jamming out to Kurtis Blow or Kool Moe Dee these days.

I've joked around and snuck Pete Rock, Das Efx, Grand Puba, Lords of the Underground, etc on the box and it's always met with boos lol. They have no clue who these artists are.

I don't even try with the hockey boys. They do their thing. If it makes them happy, it's great.
Now for threads, they as a team a few years back decided to wear coat and tie for both home and away games. Those boys always look sharp. They call it "business attire". I love it when they arrive at the away rink. It gets everyone's attention.
What was this post about again? 😆

I think about these types of time gaps often. It's freaky. But I'm not sure it's true that the 40s weren't relevant in the 80s. Just not to us.
No. I mean no they weren't. There was little entertainment wise that was relevant from 1940 to 1980 versus now. I mean now, you can find all kinds of 70's and 80's sitcoms. I think maybe back then all you had was like the Three Stooges (which I never, ever got the appeal but that is another subject). I mean sure, my grandparents were listening to Lawrence Welk and Benny Goodman, but it is not like they were driving around in the car with the Chattanooga Choo Choo by the Glenn Miller Orchestra blaring from a tape deck.

The mere fact that everything was black and white then versus in color now probably didn't help move these things forward. But back to music,
Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Tommy Dorsey, Peggy Lee, the Andrews Sisters, I am sorry but they were not relevant in the 80's, except to an extreme small segment. Frank Sinatra was a bit more transcendent. (By the way, that was not off the top of my head, I had to look those names up) Whereas in the 80's, U2, Springsteen, Petty, Journey, the Cure, Prince etc...all are fairly relevant today.

It's just weird, because it seems so much of our society had changed and evolved from 1940-1980 when you think of WWII, Vietnam War, the Baby Boomers, the Equal Rights Movement, JFK assassination, and the ascension of the American working class to owning single dwelling homes, a TV and Car in every household, etc, the moving of an agrarian society to an industrialized society, air travel, etc... Yet, from 1980 to now, it doesn't seem such a leap. Yet the advent of the PC, the cellphone, the internet are just as impactful of innovations as any between 1940-80.

I don't know, this stuff fascinates me.

I don't even try with the hockey boys. They do their thing. If it makes them happy, it's great.
Now for threads, they as a team a few years back decided to wear coat and tie for both home and away games. Those boys always look sharp. They call it "business attire". I love it when they arrive at the away rink. It gets everyone's attention.
What was this post about again? 😆
This is another great point. Yeah, the NHL player's dress like they are going to a board meeting when they go to the rink. But it's another aspect of society. Look at any photo from the 40's, men wore wool suits to baseball games. To go shopping. Women always full length dresses and hats. I didn't start working until the very end of the 80's and actually wore a suit on certain meeting/customer visit days, but even that ended as we moved through the 90's. Now "suits" are the provenance of mostly lawyers, boardrooms and certain bankers. Few office workers, especially none in non HQ, downtown locations, wear anything approaching a suit. Engineers in manufacturing plants always wore shirt and tie through the 60's and 70's, now it is considered a safety hazard if you are near moving machinery.

Again, I don't why, but the evolution of simple pop culture and societal behaviors always interests me for some reason.

No. I mean no they weren't. There was little entertainment wise that was relevant from 1940 to 1980 versus now. I mean now, you can find all kinds of 70's and 80's sitcoms. I think maybe back then all you had was like the Three Stooges (which I never, ever got the appeal but that is another subject). I mean sure, my grandparents were listening to Lawrence Welk and Benny Goodman, but it is not like they were driving around in the car with the Chattanooga Choo Choo by the Glenn Miller Orchestra blaring from a tape deck.

The mere fact that everything was black and white then versus in color now probably didn't help move these things forward. But back to music,
Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Tommy Dorsey, Peggy Lee, the Andrews Sisters, I am sorry but they were not relevant in the 80's, except to an extreme small segment. Frank Sinatra was a bit more transcendent. (By the way, that was not off the top of my head, I had to look those names up) Whereas in the 80's, U2, Springsteen, Petty, Journey, the Cure, Prince etc...all are fairly relevant today.

It's just weird, because it seems so much of our society had changed and evolved from 1940-1980 when you think of WWII, Vietnam War, the Baby Boomers, the Equal Rights Movement, JFK assassination, and the ascension of the American working class to owning single dwelling homes, a TV and Car in every household, etc, the moving of an agrarian society to an industrialized society, air travel, etc... Yet, from 1980 to now, it doesn't seem such a leap. Yet the advent of the PC, the cellphone, the internet are just as impactful of innovations as any between 1940-80.

I don't know, this stuff fascinates me.
1980 was certainly much different than 1940. But now there is the internet, 24 hour news, a camera watching you almost everywhere you go and 100,000,000 more people in your country.

Niagara Falls girls “pleased”
Entertainment wise, of course the 2020's are closer to the 1980's than the 80's were to the 40's. The entertainment industry barely existed in 1940 compared to now. But other things are way more similar between 1940 and 1980 compared to 2020 and 1980. For example, throw a rotary phone to kid now and they could not make a call.... 1980 kid no problem. Sending letters in the mail, reading a newspaper, changing spark plugs, carburetors, priming a pump, first day of buck season, first day of trout season, shooting vermin rather than crying over a dead rat in the back yard, Pinochle, horse shoes, pickup trucks that do not cost more than a starter home, roasting in the heat without air conditioning, a traveling circus, veganism as an idea that belongs in a traveling curcus, communism as a bad thing, politicians as worse, John Wayne as an American cowboy icon, Daniel Boone as an American hero for kids. All of that I think is pretty common between the 40's and 80', but not for 2020 kids.

Entertainment wise, of course the 2020's are closer to the 1980's than the 80's were to the 40's. The entertainment industry barely existed in 1940 compared to now. But other things are way more similar between 1940 and 1980 compared to 2020 and 1980. For example, throw a rotary phone to kid now and they could not make a call.... 1980 kid no problem. Sending letters in the mail, reading a newspaper, changing spark plugs, carburetors, priming a pump, first day of buck season, first day of trout season, shooting vermin rather than crying over a dead rat in the back yard, Pinochle, horse shoes, pickup trucks that do not cost more than a starter home, roasting in the heat without air conditioning, a traveling circus, veganism as an idea that belongs in a traveling curcus, communism as a bad thing, politicians as worse, John Wayne as an American cowboy icon, Daniel Boone as an American hero for kids. All of that I think is pretty common between the 40's and 80', but not for 2020 kids.
Yeah. Alot of this true.

Yeah
New kids have way better options for entertainment

Reactions: Conemaugh

Hip hop music and fashion age especially poorly.

Hip hop music and fashion age especially poorly.
Well it is weird. Right? It is hard to see a 75 year old cruising down the street blasting Tupac in 2035. That doesn't seem to age well.

As for fashion, it is like the extremes don't age. But alot of early 70's looks are relevant today. But not that polyester late 70's disco look. The 50's and 40's looks aren't relevant. But man, you look at the big hair from the late 80's and early 90's and just you want a real source for ozone damage and climate change? Look no further than the amount of hairspray used back then.

Well it is weird. Right? It is hard to see a 75 year old cruising down the street blasting Tupac in 2035. That doesn't seem to age well.

As for fashion, it is like the extremes don't age. But alot of early 70's looks are relevant today. But not that polyester late 70's disco look. The 50's and 40's looks aren't relevant. But man, you look at the big hair from the late 80's and early 90's and just you want a real source for ozone damage and climate change? Look no further than the amount of hairspray used back then.
Tupac, no. Snoop, yes.

Oh man, saw this today and it is perfect!! Fits right with this thread. And I hope yinz get the humor.

Ey-6xAoXAAAMust
I remember people hooking their stereo up to the television to play MTV at parties when they first came on the air. The problem was that the commercials were silent. That was a real party killer.

Loud music..............................nothing...loud music.....................................nothing...

Recruits, you're rushing things, I Will Follow is only 40 (and a half) years old. But, Man, you just found another way to make me feel old. Born in the 60's, I became a big fan of U2 and still, if asked, would name them as my favorite band. To the larger theme, within my extended family, my two nephews are big U2 fans and I took both my nephew/godson and niece to the U2 show at Heinz Field in July, 2011 where you saw a wide age range of the concert goers as you did on the Joshua Tree Tour of 2017. Same is true if you go to a Springsteen show. Technologically speaking, there's great differences between 1980 and now, but maybe not as much culturally. But maybe that's just a middle-aged perspective.

Last edited:
I was thinking about that the other day when I was watching one of the Mecum auto auctions. They had a car from the 80s followed by a car from the 40s. One of the announcers said something about the difference between those cars and the 80s car to today's cars being the same.
they have any chevette's on that show?

FWIW - my youngest loves 80's music. Definitely not 70's or 90's (he hates 90's).

90's music doesn't hold up for me. most of it is garbage.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Depends on your point of reference
If you rocked to ace of base and c+c music factory - it’s forgettable
If you were listening to jane’s addiction , Pearl Jam , etc
It holds up just fine

to each their own. i don't judge anyone's music interests as i, and everyone, has epically terrible things they enojoy. for me, the 90's started a pretty downward trend in music as a whole. the 2000's pop at least came back and got a little more fun but the 2000's rock is pretty terrible. but that's perhaps a function of rock music pretty much dying a slow death.

i'll give an example: nirvana does not hold up for me at all. supposedly iconic band but i tend to turn their music off. and i was in the perfect age group for nirvana and liked them at the time. that doesn't happen with "iconic" 60's, 70's, and 80's bands.

again, i'll respect anyone's opinion but for me, pearl jam was just totally different after the 2nd album. vitalogy was such an epic disappointment at the time.

i will say the 90's had a decent amount of "fun" rock one his wonder types. but the decade launched creed and for that, it's unforgivable.

to each their own. i don't judge anyone's music interests as i, and everyone, has epically terrible things they enojoy. for me, the 90's started a pretty downward trend in music as a whole. the 2000's pop at least came back and got a little more fun but the 2000's rock is pretty terrible. but that's perhaps a function of rock music pretty much dying a slow death.

i'll give an example: nirvana does not hold up for me at all. supposedly iconic band but i tend to turn their music off. and i was in the perfect age group for nirvana and liked them at the time. that doesn't happen with "iconic" 60's, 70's, and 80's bands.

again, i'll respect anyone's opinion but for me, pearl jam was just totally different after the 2nd album. vitalogy was such an epic disappointment at the time.

i will say the 90's had a decent amount of "fun" rock one his wonder types. but the decade launched creed and for that, it's unforgivable.
If you only like pop music it’s not wonder you don’t like rock music

Reactions: Conemaugh
That’s not remotely what I said but go on and pat yourself on the back for winning the argument as it seems that’s what your going for.
Like i
Said if you think Pearl Jam , janes addiction, oasis , Radiohead , sonic youth , etc suck
Maybe you also hate the cure’s wish and wild mood swing albums
Maybe you hate hip hop like dr dre, snoop, wu-tang, beastie boys , and busta rhyme
Maybe you hate punk and ska music

to each their own
There’s good and bad in every decade of music

Yeah, really, rock wise, I find 90's music to be more palatable than 80's. 80's was so techno, sure you had U2, REM, Husker Du, but alot of bubble gum pop and hair metal and leftovers from the 70's.

Everyone point to 90's grunge with Nirvana and Pearl Jam, but it goes deeper than that. AIC is as good as any, Soundgarden, Mudhoney. I mean the SubPop label really launched alot of good music. You had alot of different bands, Dinosaur Jr, Afghan Whigs, Pavement, Janes' I guess the Chili Peppers technically started in the 80's, but none of these are cookie cutter bands. They all had their unique sound.

Anything is better than boy bands. The fact that boys today listen to boy bands should disturb fathers everywhere. Girls get a pass. The music is secondary to them.

I’m old. I remember when you could understand the lyrics to rap music. Now it’s just mumbles and slurring. Nogracias.

ADVERTISEMENT