ADVERTISEMENT

OT: a post about curling for any curling fans (no jokes)

Zeldas Open Roof

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2018
so reading recruits... thread about the winter olympics got me on this topic. i'lll flat out admit that i do enjoy watching curling. i wont call myself a fan, i mean i dont belong to a curling club but with that said, i truly do like watching it.

so here is my issue with the coverage. the announcers do a terrible job calling this for casual fans. i mean, the scoring is kind of easy to figure out but my issue is, they dont explain the strategy enough, they dont tell you what the shooter (sorry if im screwing up the lingo) should be doing, what angle they should be coming at, what "stone" they should be aiming for or knocking out of the way..

when someone is throwing the hammer, they are going for the button most of the time so you dont have to explain that but during the game/match, they'll aim right or left or try to go deep or set up a block and an educated announcer should be telling you this. they should have aerial shot and do a little teleprompter (john madden action) and show you where they will want to come in at and what stone they'll want to knock out. then you can see the actual shot and see if it was a good shot or not.

1/2 the time, you dont know if it was a good shot or not and the damn "color man" (I have no idea if that's what you call the 2nd person) does this. I watched one yesterday and the chick doing it was a curler and she sucked. gave you no clue about strategy. Also, they should do more "over top" camera shots so you can see the line of the shot. think that would be better than just a close up of the sweeper..

OK, that's all i got. if there are any curling fans out there please let me know what you think about my rant. if there isnt, just everyone go on and ignore me.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I once tried curling. Thought it would be easy. It wasn't.

I'd rather watch curling than figure skating, though. Or any of the other competitions where they have to make it super duper dramatic. Can't stand that stuff.

it would be fun to do but yeah, i bet it's a 1000 xs harder. even getting the little push off and gliding with your foot probably takes practice.

i was talking with my buddies about how a bar with some ice and curling lanes would be awesome (although not feasible for space and money and logistically impossible) and it occurred to me that bars have a hard enough time getting a shuffleboard in it..

I think the sweeping aspect of curling is dumb, i really do. im sure a die hard curling fan would want to strangle me for saying this but im pretty sure that the sweeper has little effect on speed and especially direction.

it would be fun to do but yeah, i bet it's a 1000 xs harder. even getting the little push off and gliding with your foot probably takes practice.

i was talking with my buddies about how a bar with some ice and curling lanes would be awesome (although not feasible for space and money and logistically impossible) and it occurred to me that bars have a hard enough time getting a shuffleboard in it..

I think the sweeping aspect of curling is dumb, i really do. im sure a die hard curling fan would want to strangle me for saying this but im pretty sure that the sweeper has little effect on speed and especially direction.
There’s actually a bar in Nashville with curling lanes

There’s actually a bar in Nashville with curling lanes
no kidding. damn nashville bars, they have everything. pittsburgh doesnt even have duck pins and nashville has a bar with hot chicks, live music and curling lanes.

i did see a place going up in north shore that has duck pins and bocce, not open yet. looks cool, from the website. place like that in columbus my buddy went too that says was fun. think it's going into the spot that the Tilted Kit was in. this was all pre pandemic though so who knows whats up now..

my favorite neighborhood bar has a shuffleboard table, thats' as good as it gets. i love it but very few people ever play. its rarely used and takes up a ton of space, had to have cost a pretty penny too.

no kidding. damn nashville bars, they have everything. pittsburgh doesnt even have duck pins and nashville has a bar with hot chicks, live music and curling lanes.

i did see a place going up in north shore that has duck pins and bocce, not open yet. looks cool, from the website. place like that in columbus my buddy went too that says was fun. think it's going into the spot that the Tilted Kit was in. this was all pre pandemic though so who knows whats up now..

my favorite neighborhood bar has a shuffleboard table, thats' as good as it gets. i love it but very few people ever play. its rarely used and takes up a ton of space, had to have cost a pretty penny too.
Not in the city of Pittsburgh, but Glassport Lanes still thriving if you need a duckpin fix.

Reactions: bschulter
I enjoy watching curling, takes a lot of strategy and finesse, it’s cool to watch, but I won’t watch the Olympics

so reading recruits... thread about the winter olympics got me on this topic. i'lll flat out admit that i do enjoy watching curling. i wont call myself a fan, i mean i dont belong to a curling club but with that said, i truly do like watching it.

so here is my issue with the coverage. the announcers do a terrible job calling this for casual fans. i mean, the scoring is kind of easy to figure out but my issue is, they dont explain the strategy enough, they dont tell you what the shooter (sorry if im screwing up the lingo) should be doing, what angle they should be coming at, what "stone" they should be aiming for or knocking out of the way..

when someone is throwing the hammer, they are going for the button most of the time so you dont have to explain that but during the game/match, they'll aim right or left or try to go deep or set up a block and an educated announcer should be telling you this. they should have aerial shot and do a little teleprompter (john madden action) and show you where they will want to come in at and what stone they'll want to knock out. then you can see the actual shot and see if it was a good shot or not.

1/2 the time, you dont know if it was a good shot or not and the damn "color man" (I have no idea if that's what you call the 2nd person) does this. I watched one yesterday and the chick doing it was a curler and she sucked. gave you no clue about strategy. Also, they should do more "over top" camera shots so you can see the line of the shot. think that would be better than just a close up of the sweeper..

OK, that's all i got. if there are any curling fans out there please let me know what you think about my rant. if there isnt, just everyone go on and ignore me.
Sweeping definitely increases the distance of the stone. It melts some of the ice so reduces friction.
The guy at our local ice rink who cares for the ice is an expert at making/caring for curling ice. He travels to international tournaments all over the world to advise on their curling ice. He's not in China though as I saw him at the rink last night. He probably couldn't get back into Fortress NZ if he left...
I have chatted with him many times about ice and curling while watching ice hockey practice over the years.
For those who have never been on curling ice, they spray droplets on the surface so it is more granular than smooth. Those granules are what melts a bit with sweeping. It is very different to the smooth ice of the hockey rink. (We have a separate sheet for curling lanes and hockey/figure/speed use the other).

Construction seemed to come to a standstill at that place. Unless it was only interior work, I didn't notice any changes over the tail end of the NFL season. It does look like it'll be a cool place.

Curling is fun to watch and I'd like to try it sometime. Pittsburgh Curling Club built a new facility. I don't know if they still do public sessions like they did before the building opened.

Hey as long as they call Curlers "Olympic participants" and not "Olympic athletes" I am fine with it. Its Bocce ball on ice.

Hey as long as they call Curlers "Olympic participants" and not "Olympic athletes" I am fine with it. Its Bocce ball on ice.
I call it "lawn bowls on ice".
It's not like the archers or air rifle Olympians are athletes. I thought some of those guys would have looked better with a cigarette in the corner of their mouths while "competing".
Curling is definitely a drinking game. Our curling club does work events and social curling, and they take bar breaks for whiskey.

I call it "lawn bowls on ice".
It's not like the archers or air rifle Olympians are athletes. I thought some of those guys would have looked better with a cigarette in the corner of their mouths while "competing".
Curling is definitely a drinking game. Our curling club does work events and social curling, and they take bar breaks for whiskey.

I wanna join that team!

Yeah I also am not saying they are unathletic. But the athleticism isnt really a necessary part of the game. Is there straight up rifle? I thought it was biathlon type stuff

I had heard that Italy had a cute girl on their curling team, so I looked her up.

I think I could become a fan if this is the normal competition.

d8333659-06a2-4792-a3b0-434cb90710b0.jpg

Reactions: ShipofFools
I wanna join that team!

Yeah I also am not saying they are unathletic. But the athleticism isnt really a necessary part of the game. Is there straight up rifle? I thought it was biathlon type stuff
Air rifle in the summer Olympics.

Reactions: JokePa

I'd rather watch curling than figure skating, though. Or any of the other competitions where they have to make it super duper dramatic. Can't stand that stuff.
The thing about figure skating, ice dancing and gymnastics, to be honest, IMO those are the most athletic sports, among the hardest to be really good at, but the thing I don't like about them, is the winner is decided by voting, so it's never objective, sort of like college football :)

I was off during the olympics. My gallbladder decided to quit working and I had it removed so I was stuck with very little to do while I was recovering. I like curling anyway but I immersed myself in watching as many games as I could. I think some of the strategy is important but making a mistake on a throw is where the chaos starts. At the end of the day, you have to make the shot.

Honestly, I find most of the winter games stuff kind of boring and subjective or there isn't enough of a separation from the winner and tenth place. Curling is cool because it does look like something an average bonehead could do while drinking beer. Was also kind of intrigued by the biathlon. Skiing and gun play.

I was off during the olympics. My gallbladder decided to quit working and I had it removed so I was stuck with very little to do while I was recovering. I like curling anyway but I immersed myself in watching as many games as I could. I think some of the strategy is important but making a mistake on a throw is where the chaos starts. At the end of the day, you have to make the shot.

Honestly, I find most of the winter games stuff kind of boring and subjective or there isn't enough of a separation from the winner and tenth place. Curling is cool because it does look like something an average bonehead could do while drinking beer. Was also kind of intrigued by the biathlon. Skiing and gun play.
i think my frustration with curling lies in the over strategic moves. i mean this isnt shuffleboard where you have a leaner so the next shot or two you just block it by leaving it in front so the next guy cant knock it off the edge..

these poeple are throwing stones like 3 or 4 rounds ahead, strategizing throws they'll try and make as the hammer. OK, fine, but have a good color person that explains that ahead of time. i get the concept of a block but they are blocking in early rounds for later blocks for yet later throws that hopefully score them a point..

i think my frustration with curling lies in the over strategic moves. i mean this isnt shuffleboard where you have a leaner so the next shot or two you just block it by leaving it in front so the next guy cant knock it off the edge..

these poeple are throwing stones like 3 or 4 rounds ahead, strategizing throws they'll try and make as the hammer. OK, fine, but have a good color person that explains that ahead of time. i get the concept of a block but they are blocking in early rounds for later blocks for yet later throws that hopefully score them a point..
Totally agree. I think they get people who announce who know the sport really well but only announce once every four years. They don't get the balance of the audience including many who don't understand the tactics of the sport.

The thing about figure skating, ice dancing and gymnastics, to be honest, IMO those are the most athletic sports, among the hardest to be really good at, but the thing I don't like about them, is the winner is decided by voting, so it's never objective, sort of like college football :)

it's either judges, or racing against the clock, where 1/10th of a second separates the winner. I have a hard time getting interested to watch competitions like that.

But I agree, especially gymnasts are really incredible athletes

Reactions: Pitt79

I hope your recovery is going well.

Chess on ice?

I watch a lot of curling and consider myself a fan. A couple years ago there was an international tournament at an arena near me so I decided to go check it out. Was a big mistake as I found out shortly after getting to my seats. As bad as it sometimes is I discovered quickly that I was totally lost without being able to hear the commentary describing what was going on. There were matches going on on multiple sheets, without the announcers and the camera angles they show on tv it was pretty much Greek to me.

I later found out that many of the others in attendance had earpieces in playing the direct feed from the CBC. Without that I found it almost impossible to follow.

I had heard that Italy had a cute girl on their curling team, so I looked her up.

I think I could become a fan if this is the normal competition.

d8333659-06a2-4792-a3b0-434cb90710b0.jpg
I miss watching Cheryl Bernard of the Canadian Women's team. She is hotter than a Puerto Rican summer.

I hope your recovery is going well.
Thank you. I still feel kind of crummy but I guess it takes some time for everything to settle. Pain is mostly gone. I've been having issues off and on for years but the whole process only took a week and a half and I was suddenly under the knife. Fortunately it all went well. Just kind of came out of nowhere. Appreciate it.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT